Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Follow me on this. Many of you know that I'm after my grail in the way of the Oris Pro Diver. Before that it was the Breitling S.A. Black Steel. Forget about what we know about the stigma attached to Invicta. Many of us have our reasons for being disenchanted with some of the goings on with them over the past year or so. All of that notwithstanding, in your opinions, is it worth paying an addtional 2-3K for the Oris over the SAS 7750, or in the case of the Breitling ,an additional 3-4K? If we're talking purely nuts and bolts, material for material and movement for movement, are the afformentioned pieces worth that much more. Obviously, the decision is mine ultimately, I'm just curious what the gang here thinks. Trevor, I know you're out of the "I" business and you own some quality pieces. You. Boosted, EricF and Darth Neo can answer this question first hand. Are the luxury brands THAT much better built, or is it you're just tired of the "stuff" that comes along with the "I" brand. I happen to be a big fan of the SAS 7750 and pretty sure the SAIV as well, which will have an auto movement. But there's something about that Oris, that has me riled up. I just need to have a better reason than, it's a hot watch, to spend 2k more for it though. Especially when ,in my opinion, the SAS and the IV are about as good looking as any piece out there, as far as MY taste is concerned.
Thanks for reading.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I am not playing!!! LOL

That and you already got my answer!

I do want to point out that my wife bought me a Super Avenger, and I was not impressed for the money that was paid. It is a nice watch but no where near worth the dollar asked for!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Hey whats up Tuna...Breitling in my Opinion is top notch....My choice would go with the breitling. As you know I own a Breitling SA and it is worth every penny i paid for it...From soup to nutz....but you have to buy what you love not what other people love...So my opinion I rather pay a couple grand more and get a higher end watch and not have to worry if it will lose 50% of its value immediately....I own a SANIII and love the watch but it is no Breitling....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yeah, you I and have chatted extensively about this one Rip. I tend to have the same feelings as you in many instances, but you have owned the Breitling and I haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm wondering if it will blow me away to the point of shelling the extra grrr.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Yeah, you I and have chatted extensively about this one Rip. I tend to have the same feelings as you in many instances, but you have owned the Breitling and I haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm wondering if it will blow me away to the point of shelling the extra grrr.
Just go and check it out at your local AD Tuna....Trust me its worth the extra coin...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I appreciate the reply Jack. I have a feeling that will be the consensus answer here. The Invicta will lose it's value immediately. The thing is, I'm not going to invest in the watch, I'm gonna buy it. I hope that didn't come off as snarky bud, I'm just stating a fact.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I appreciate the reply Jack. I have a feeling that will be the consensus answer here. The Invicta will lose it's value immediately. The thing is, I'm not going to invest in the watch, I'm gonna buy it. I hope that didn't come off as snarky bud, I'm just stating a fact.
Not at all brutha...to each their own...You need to buy a watch that works for you and that's what makes us all unique. My thing is I will not buy another Invicta for my own reasons infact I am selling them all off. Keep us updated Tuna in what you decide to purchase and of course post some pics....:)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

For sure Jack. I've already held the Oris, which is amazing. I'm going to the Breitling AD this week to take a peek at the SA. I hope they have one in stock.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

You guys gotta tell me some shops where I might find Breitlings cause I sure would like to go look at a few. Any names?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
For sure Jack. I've already held the Oris, which is amazing. I'm going to the Breitling AD this week to take a peek at the SA. I hope they have one in stock.
Nice..You know how I feel about that oris also....Smokin watch...but when you try on that SA Tuna...its over.....lol....Your gonna be in trouble tuna...lol...let me know what you think when you try it on...Good luck in what ever you decide and I am sure what ever you purchase it will be smokin...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Nice..You know how I feel about that oris also....Smokin watch...but when you try on that SA Tuna...its over.....lol....Your gonna be in trouble tuna...lol...let me know what you think when you try it on...Good luck in what ever you decide and I am sure what ever you purchase it will be smokin...
Thanks brutha, I appreciate it.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well....I have seen them at the Tourneau Shop at the Galleria here in Houston...and on one of the VP's at my wife's job!!! He has a dual time zone Breitling with a diamond bezel. Also has a gold one with a diamond bezel. But...he also fell in love with my Stuhrling Original Uptown Ozzie XL and ordered an all black IP one just like mine. He even thanked me for showing him mine....and he said his wife had no problem with him buying it...since they are only around $200 on the Shop. But he told me he has worn it out with his wife and just loves the look of the watch with a suit!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Eric - I will reply and be as 100% honest as I can be. I might ramble a little because I have thought about this a lot over the past 12 months.

I have posted my watch wish list a few times. The most recent update of it can be found at http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=441&forum_id=37&jump_to=3559#p3559 . You will see that I have a wide range of watches shown, including the same Oris that I believe you are currently trying to obtain.

That being said I could 100% care less about if a watch is an automatic or quartz. I know that this is very important to some people but not me. That simple. I just don't care. And no matter how much I think about it I can not make myself WANT an automatic over a quartz for any realistic reason that I can come up with (and you know that I read literally EVERY single thread, blog post, and article on movements and watch related information I can find). Some people spend lots of time arguing about one automatic movement over another one, and I just do not care. I buy watches because I like them. That simple again. Sure I want a good quality watch. This includes materials used, design, weight, bracelet, size (I like watches that are 46-52mm), it tells time pretty accurately, etc, etc etc.

I have spent the last year looking at Breitlings, Oris, Omega, many other very very expensive watches, and the ones on my wish list referenced above. One of my good friends owns many of these watches so I have been lucky enough to actually handle, wear, and look closely at these brands. What I have found is that I am attracted to the "design" of these watches more then THE NAME. I USED to be completely caught up in the "Brand Name" game. For me it was Breitling. I had to have a Breitling. Well after a year of literally looking at them, smelling them, and watching the little second hand go around and around on them, it is very hard for me to justify spending $5000 - $10,000 on a watch - any watch.

Can I appreciate the history of the brand (and brand name), the workmanship that went into making the watch, the qualtiy of the materials used, etc etc - sure. But does that make it worth $1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, or 10,000 and up?? I am not sure any more to be honest.

Each day I am introduced to many watch brands that show me incredible value for a lot less then that. Many of us have some experience with Invicta, but that is just one brand with really good value for $1000 and down on some of their models. And each day my eyes are opened to another incredibly hot watch, that meets all my "like" criteria, that is not one of the top name brands (I mean Rolex. Brietling, Omega, etc etc etc). The soon to be released Viperfish at around $500 is a perfect example, my SAS, many MANY of the Chase Durers and on and on and on can be obtained between $500-1000 and are easily as nice as the watches I mentioned above handling this past year.

Here is where I am personally at right now. I like the watches on my wish list. Some are in the $250-500 range and some are in the $1000 range. But bottom line is I might find a similar design watch from a pretty good other watch brand that would make me just as happy. 4 weeks ago my father came to visit. We went and looked at Breitling's in a big store by us. They had at least 40 or more in the store of all different models. We tried on and looked at many of them. At this point of my watch collecting I just could not see spending $6000 on any of them. It just would not make any sense to me when i KNOW that I could find SIX incredible $1000 watches that would be comparable in almost everything except the "brand name". I am 100% sure of this. Taking it a step further and with watches like CD or others there are $500 watches that are also drop dead incredible timepieces. That makes the aforementioned $6000 example even harder to swallow. And all of us here are pretty savvy and understand how to search around the internet and find great deals or trades on more expensive watches if we are patient and willing to look.

Finally, and after saying all of that I have this to add. Yesterday I wore my 47mm Orange Pro Diver (this one http://www.watchfreeks.com/images/watch/6056-2.jpg). In the span of 8 hours and in 2 separate meetings I had people inquire if it was an Oris or an Omega. Seriously. Now obviously it is not those watch brands, but it further reinforced (TO ME) my current mode of thinking on my future watch purchasing. I might not buy any more Invictas, but that is because I feel I have already obtained the ones I wanted and liked (SAS, SAN III, Scuba, Grand Divers) and now there are other watches out there that have a different look and style that attracts me. Could I end up buying some of the watches on my wish list from above - yes! But I am not tied into buying a name.

And NONE of this is a negative comment about people who do own Breitlings or Omegas or any of those types of watches. I know know nice they are and as mentioned understand the history - I just personally can not justify paying for that history.

I hope this was a helpful answer to your original question.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Absolutely helpful James. I'm right where you are right now. I know that the Oris and Breitling are excellent watches because we've been told so by people who have owned them. But that is totally subjective. Are they 3k better? it depends on what you look for. I guess in a sense, I would be buying because of the name. I mean, the 7750 SAS and the IV are going to keep pretty accurate time, just like the Oris and Breitling. The Breitling is C.O.S.C., but that's not all that important to ME. We buy for our own reasons and no one should be made to feel their reasons are more or less important than someone elses.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I'm done with Invicta also. I own 15 and that is plenty for me. I like the Oris and the Breitling. I think the higher end watches are better built watches. I love my Omegas and my Rolex. Yes, they cost some change, but the nice thing about them is that I could turn around and sell them tomorrow for pretty close to what I payed. It is hard to sell off and Invicta and make back 25% of the purchase price. Now before anybody says they don't purchase watches for investments I want to say that I don't either. I just like the higher end pieces and I will spend the extra money to get them. I don't trust the 7750 in the Invicta. I've heard some horror stories about them not functioning right. I don't know why, but Invicta will have to earn my trust again.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

The single most influential reason I would purchase a Breitling is the modified COSC 7750 movement . . . and the brand history, quality, CS, and products. I am a movement junkie and base 90% or more of my watch buying decisions on the movement inside. To counter that point, I picked up the Renato OTV, because it looked "funky". I certainly didn't buy it for it's 4- and 6-Jewel quartz movements (not that there's ANYTHING wrong with them). :)

If you can show me that caliber of movement (Modified COSC 7750) in a less expensive timepiece, I would seriously look into it. If that mystery timepiece was aesthetically pleasing, high quality, and worth the price . . . I'd certainly buy it!

With that said . . . the one thing that would take the SAS or the SAIII "up a notch" for me would be a COSC chronograph movement (it could very well be the COSC grade 2894-2) or a 7750, 7751, 7753. I just thoroughly enjoy wearing a watch that's automatic, accurate, Swiss Made, and limited availability.

Going to the "other side" . . . I have NOTHING negative to say about Oris and feel that they are worth every penny. I've owned 4 Oris timepieces and found them to be a great value!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks Rick. There is something to be said for a modified, limited movement. That's what separates the two.(luxury vs.Invicta)

Guru, are they REALLY better built? Do we assume that because they cost more and are more exclusive?

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Right ON James. Looks first, brand second!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Thanks Rick. There is something to be said for a modified, limited movement. That's what separates the two.(luxury vs.Invicta

Guru, are they REALLY better built? Do we assume that because they cost more and are more exclusive?
with my feelings of Invicta aside.................Eric, to answer your question........are they better built........most likely........if you have never seen the video of how the breitlings are put together, do a search , pretty interesting........but like you said, are they $3-$4000 better built............probably not. And like has been said, what is worth a million to some folks, is worth 5 cents to someone else. It has to be worth it to you.........no matter what.......no one can tell you its better, or you should buy it, because, it is mostly opinion. The bottom line is, if you just cant justify spending that kind of money for the watch, even though you like it...........then its not really worth it to you.............buy what you like brother......like has been said, the history is all out there of the brand, how there made , what components they use,etc........if you do your research and dont feel that makes it worth $5000, then its not worth it to you, stop listening to others, and buy what you like

weve had this convo before, like i said, forget about Invicta, but you know that if i won the lottery, i still wouldnt be buying $5000 watches, because there are so many companies out there that make amazing timepieces in the $500-$2000 range........and i think the $2000 range would be my limit.........

again, bottom line, do your research, and buy for what you like, whether it be size, movement, style or function...........not all the time , just because something is expensive, means its better............

1 - 20 of 83 Posts