Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
short story:
I have a Egard Passages with a damaged dial and I wonder if there's any way to restore / or get a custom made dial? Without paying hundreds of $?
After over a year of conversation with Egard, they're telling me now that they don't have a dial in the inventory left and they can't help me in any way.
I finally gave up and listed it on Ebay as replacement parts.

Long story:
After a year of wear an acccent fell of. I glued it back on without any issue. However I didn't use enough glue and it fell off again. The second attempt some glue got stuck on the paper towel and I totally screwed up.
Yeah I guess you can think through the end. This is probably my biggest fail ever which still hurts emotionally. Yes, I could buy a new one, but tbh I will never buy any microbrand watch again.
It's really sad to know that you've wasted 530€ on a watch that you really liked and had personal meaning to you.

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That is rather unfortunate. Seeing as there are no parts left, it seems you are only left with an option to sell it for spare parts.

In terms of it being a fail, think of it as a learning point. You now know not to purchase from microbrands as after-sales service can be a difficult, especially if the company no longer exists.

Just out of curiosity, if you were in contact with the customer service for over a year, why didn't they simply repair it under warranty ?

·
11,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That is rather unfortunate. Seeing as there are no parts left, it seems you are only left with an option to sell it for spare parts.

In terms of it being a fail, think of it as a learning point. You now know not to purchase from microbrands as after-sales service can be a difficult, especially if the company no longer exists.

Just out of curiosity, if you were in contact with the customer service for over a year, why didn't they simply repair it under warranty ?
I think the learning experience here is to have a qualified watchmaker do repairs like this and really doesn’t say to “not purchase from micro brands...”

·
Super Moderator
12,939 Posts
That is so upsetting xxaphexx, but like the guys are saying, it is
a learning experience. 😉And look at the bright side, and this way,
when you sell the watch. You will be able to replace the watch with
another watch that can have meaning to you. (y)

Sorry about the whole experience, but try not to let it get you down.
Enjoy the hobby, as well as all the other watches, as well as brands
that are out there. ..And enjoy the forum too. Welcome !!! 🙂

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
I think the learning experience here is to have a qualified watchmaker do repairs like this and really doesn’t say to “not purchase from micro brands...”
Start-up and micro-brands are a huge risk for some, especially if €500 is a large amount of money to spend. This isn't something like a nano-brewery where the product is a consumable and cheap. It's a watch. If it breaks, you can be out a lot of money.

I can imagine that OP made the repair himself as the shipping cost and hassle sending it from Europe to the US was too great. For me locally, it would be €100 with insurance, to ship it one way. Not to mention the cost of having it shipped back, plus any customs costs. So your €500 watch becomes a €750 watch thanks to a defect by a micro-brand. Is it worth spending half the cost again to get it fixed?

Imo, people in this situation are far better off buying a name brand that is long established and who have a presence in their country in order to deal with warranty claims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

This is Ilan the CEO of Egard. It's quite upsetting to see you misrpresent what took place as this kind of misrepresentation damages business like ours.

This piece was purchased by you on Ebay with zero way for us to verify its authenticity. It was a limited edition piece from years ago. The piece was very very badly damaged based on the photos.

Had this piece been purchased from us directly or a verified source even if it was out of warranty we would have fixed it for you. This piece unfortunately was not. This is a risk when buying a used watch on ebay especially ones that are limited edition. This is not only true for our company but virtually every single company.

I still wanted to help you and went personally and looked in our warehouse. All we have are complete watches that we held back and saved for out of warranty repairs on watches on this model. This was a very special model that rerquired sourcing a meteor. Parts were limited and reserved for customers. This means I would have to destroy an entirely new unworn watch to fix a watch that was used and bought on ebay that may or may not be real with zero history.

I understand this is frustrating for you but it is why we never recommend someone buy off ebay. We recommend buying through us or a verified retailer as we will never leave a customer with a broken piece.

In this case sadly you weren't technically a customer of ours or any of our retailers.

We really do our best to go above and beyond for our customers.

If you never want to buy a microbrand again that would be a shame as there are fantastic brands out there. I really hope you consider going through the brands or even grey market sites like Jomashop instead of Ebay as that is always a large risk and sadly the manufacture can not take on the burden in most cases of pieces purchased through there... microbrand or mega brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Start-up and micro-brands are a huge risk for some, especially if €500 is a large amount of money to spend. This isn't something like a nano-brewery where the product is a consumable and cheap. It's a watch. If it breaks, you can be out a lot of money.

I can imagine that OP made the repair himself as the shipping cost and hassle sending it from Europe to the US was too great. For me locally, it would be €100 with insurance, to ship it one way. Not to mention the cost of having it shipped back, plus any customs costs. So your €500 watch becomes a €750 watch thanks to a defect by a micro-brand. Is it worth spending half the cost again to get it fixed?

Imo, people in this situation are far better off buying a name brand that is long established and who have a presence in their country in order to deal with warranty claims.
Hi

This is Ilan the CEO of Egard. We aren't a startup. We have sold hundreds of thousands of watches over the years. What he failed to mention is he bought this piece on Ebay with zero warranty or why for us to verify its original purchaser.

We sadly can not warranty watches that were purchased on ebay especially not this piece as it was limited edition and involved sourcing a meteor.

This wouldn't be much different had he bought a limited edition piece on ebay from virtually any brand as far as I know. Same for most products purchased on ebay. We sadly can not incur the burden of damage when it is not purchased by us or a verified seller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is so upsetting xxaphexx, but like the guys are saying, it is
a learning experience. 😉And look at the bright side, and this way,
when you sell the watch. You will be able to replace the watch with
another watch that can have meaning to you. (y)

Sorry about the whole experience, but try not to let it get you down.
Enjoy the hobby, as well as all the other watches, as well as brands
that are out there. ..And enjoy the forum too. Welcome !!! 🙂
Hi,

The customer purchased on ebay which is why we are unable to warranty the piece.

We would never leave a customer with a broken piece whether purchased through us or a verified source. Unfortunately an unverified piece from ebay with no history or record can not be warrantied.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi,

We do have parts left but this piece was purchased through ebay with no means to verify its authenticity. He bought a limited edition piece that sold out quite some time ago with no warranty information from someone on ebay sadly.

There are risks when doing that. We do have parts but they are reserved for watches that we can verify as authentic pieces. Unfortunately we don't offer those parts for ebay watches at the moment.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
Hi,

We do have parts left but this piece was purchased through ebay with no means to verify its authenticity. He bought a limited edition piece that sold out quite some time ago with no warranty information from someone on ebay sadly.

There are risks when doing that. We do have parts but they are reserved for watches that we can verify as authentic pieces. Unfortunately we don't offer those parts for ebay watches at the moment.

I hope that clarifies the situation.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

It is good to see a manufacturer participating in the forum. However, we ask new members to make an intro post first here: Introduce Yourself

In regard to your replies above:

Your policy likely needs some work. I know of no other serious watchmaker that has this sort of restriction. Buying paperless watches happens all of the time, it is a reality of buying, selling and owning watches in this day and age.

As you are the manufacturer, surely you can tell a real one from a fake, or? If not, it may be best if you find a way of doing so when no papers are present instead of leaving someone high and dry simply because they purchased it second hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

It is good to see a manufacturer participating in the forum. However, we ask new members to make an intro post first here: Introduce Yourself

In regard to your replies above:

Your policy likely needs some work. I know of no other serious watchmaker that has this sort of restriction. Buying paperless watches happens all of the time, it is a reality of buying, selling and owning watches in this day and age.

As you are the manufacturer, surely you can tell a real one from a fake, or? If not, it may be best if you find a way of doing so when no papers are present instead of leaving someone high and dry simply because they purchased it second hand.
I'll make sure to do a post there. Thank you for the link.

I do feel we attempted to offer solutions that were more viable and cost effective than shipping the piece back. On an aside of policy. I collect older Rolex's for example and have bought some used ones off ebay that came damaged or broken. Rolex, in my experience, would not sell me a new dial direct. Especially on limited edition pieces that sold out years ago which had limited parts, that was purchased second hand. I may be wrong. The limited edition collections have a specific amount of parts we keep for verified purchases that makes this kind of request more difficult especially when coupled with the additional issues mentioned below. Had it been part of our regular collections it would not be an issue.

We have helped customers before in this specific situation though but this one was extra difficult. The customer is international and costs of shipping are high at the moment and numerous orders are lost when going overseas. The main concern I mentioned was that if he were to ship the watch to us and cost to ship it back, repair and labor and parts on this piece it would have been cheaper for us to sell him a new one at a fraction of the cost so which was my recommended solution. Additionally there were some problems with the piece that made us uncomfortable.

The piece was tampered with prior to us being reached out to. The dial was completely removed and damaged. This makes it hard to confirm as authentic. This would have been a simple fix had the watch been shipped to us when the small face plate came off but it seems there was a lot of attempts to correct it. it also makes in-house repair a bit risky as we re-warranty repairs and this piece appeared to be in quite bad shape making the option above (a replacement) a more viable option.

I am and have been in communication with the customer directly to continue to try and solve the issue for them.

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
I'll make sure to do a post there. Thank you for the link.

I do feel we attempted to offer solutions that were more viable and cost effective than shipping the piece back. On an aside of policy. I collect older Rolex's for example and have bought some used ones off ebay that came damaged or broken. Rolex, in my experience, would not sell me a new dial direct. Especially on limited edition pieces that sold out years ago which had limited parts, that was purchased second hand. I may be wrong. The limited edition collections have a specific amount of parts we keep for verified purchases that makes this kind of request more difficult especially when coupled with the additional issues mentioned below. Had it been part of our regular collections it would not be an issue.

We have helped customers before in this specific situation though but this one was extra difficult. The customer is international and costs of shipping are high at the moment and numerous orders are lost when going overseas. The main concern I mentioned was that if he were to ship the watch to us and cost to ship it back, repair and labor and parts on this piece it would have been cheaper for us to sell him a new one at a fraction of the cost so which was my recommended solution. Additionally there were some problems with the piece that made us uncomfortable.

The piece was tampered with prior to us being reached out to. The dial was completely removed and damaged. This makes it hard to confirm as authentic. This would have been a simple fix had the watch been shipped to us when the small face plate came off but it seems there was a lot of attempts to correct it. it also makes in-house repair a bit risky as we re-warranty repairs and this piece appeared to be in quite bad shape making the option above (a replacement) a more viable option.

I am and have been in communication with the customer directly to continue to try and solve the issue for them.
Rolex is a very good example of how NOT to do business. They have effectively set up a monopoly for their parts that force you to send your watch to a service centre, for which they charge an extortionate amount of money.

While your side of the story is understandable, think about the person on the other end.

You seem to be tarring yourself with a similar brush as Rolex. A customer who bought second hand doesn't mean they aren't a customer.

Companies usually live or die on their customer service. As mentioned above, it is likely good policy to review how you authenticate your watches in order to not have aficionados such as the OP make posts like the above, which in turn saves you time in not having to try to defend your company's position on a watch forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts