Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have time to see the Edox SkyDiver already?

This watch evidently pays tribute to a special, or secret watch that was
made for a Swiss colonel, and his mountain paratroopers back in 1973.

With the new watch having details like a 42mm stainless steel case, 300m
WR, sapphire crystals, nice diver's bezels, and dials with Super-Luminova
coated hands, stainless steel bracelets, and leather straps, and Caliber 80
behind an eye-catching case-back.

Here is a look guys...

OceanicTime with even more...

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2019/07/edox-skydiver-fairytale.html

·
Registered
910 Posts
Nice looking hardware Tom.
Thanks for posting!
Scott

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Beautiful looking piece. Love the green bezel and gold accents. Would take the model without the cyclops. But... To bad the same watch has already been made a gazillion times. Stick out from the crowd. Bone the Mercedes handset. Design some new markers. Cut down the size of Sky Diver. Replace self winding with Automatic or nothing at all. IMO, then you'd have something worth buying.
I know you said this was an homage to some secret watch. But to me, it says, "Look at me, I'm another uninspired diver watch. But I've got a great story." It will die on the vine.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Another blatant Submariner copy. This one sugar coated with a vague and untraceable story.

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, although this one is nice looking, it really does look like a million
other watches, and one in particular. ..You guys are making some really
great points here that's for sure ! :smileyface_hand_cla

I mean the story is cool, and I hope that it is true, but really wish the
watch was a little different like everyone is saying. ..Imagine just if
they did change up the hands?! Or did something unique with them
that we haven't seen?! Or had a neat new marker style?! Or even
bezel?! ..It would really grab your attention, and just would be fun,
and refreshing to see. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yup, although this one is nice looking, it really does look like a million
other watches, and one in particular. ..You guys are making some really
great points here that's for sure ! :smileyface_hand_cla

I mean the story is cool, and I hope that it is true, but really wish the
watch was a little different like everyone is saying. ..Imagine just if
they did change up the hands?! Or did something unique with them
that we haven't seen?! Or had a neat new marker style?! Or even
bezel?! ..It would really grab your attention, and just would be fun,
and refreshing to see. :thumb::thumb:
Amen !

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Surprisingly to me I like it, like the vintage colored lume matched with the green bezel, and the gold tone hands.

I like the font of "Sky Diver" on the dial, and most surprisingly, I like the oversized Mercedes hour hand, and I hate Mercedes hands.

I like it a lot, and if the price is right will pick one up!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed..too many similaritys. Gets tiresome. The colors, size and proportions are great. Caseback and bracelet look nice. Just seems I've seen it before.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
A few weeks ago it was an uninspired-looking Whitby Watch Co. Sub-like offering which paid tribute to some vague Canadian achievements (though nothing about the design of the watch would suggest that), and now this... even more of a Sub clone honoring an unnamed Swiss Colonel and his paratroopers with no details. Seems like the only folks who'd care are this Colonel and his paratroopers, but they already received these back in '73.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Surprisingly to me I like it, like the vintage colored lume matched with the green bezel, and the gold tone hands.

I like the font of "Sky Diver" on the dial, and most surprisingly, I like the oversized Mercedes hour hand, and I hate Mercedes hands.

Chaz, now I know you've gone off the reservation. :madgrin: :crazy: Or you won money last weekend... ;)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Chaz, now I know you've gone off the reservation. :madgrin: :crazy: Or you won money last weekend... ;)
I don't know, the color combo and the oversized Mercedes hands give it a little pop, don't like Mercedes hands at all, but these...??

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I don't know, the color combo and the oversized Mercedes hands give it a little pop, don't like Mercedes hands at all, but these...??

You are making me appreciate, and like this even more now Chaz ! :happy0065:

We may see this style a lot, but not from Edox, or with the little
touches they added. Like with that writing, or font like you said.
In a way, it's actually amazing that we didn't already see this style
from Edox a long long time ago right?!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I totally agree about the Whitby Watches having little to do with those 2 specified achievements. Camp X was very real however. As was the Avro CF-105 Arrow.

I recommend researching the life of William Stephenson and the Avro Arrow.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2015-featured-story-archive/the-intrepid-life-of-sir-william-stephenson.html

The Avro Arrow was one of the most advanced aircraft of its era. When the government cancelled it over 30 elite scientists and engineers went to NASA, as historian Bill Zuk asserts, “they helped put man on the moon.”

I apologise to the OP. I have a soft spot for these 2 subjects.

A few weeks ago it was an uninspired-looking Whitby Watch Co. Sub-like offering which paid tribute to some vague Canadian achievements (though nothing about the design of the watch would suggest that), and now this... even more of a Sub clone honoring an unnamed Swiss Colonel and his paratroopers with no details. Seems like the only folks who'd care are this Colonel and his paratroopers, but they already received these back in '73.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I totally agree about the Whitby Watches having little to do with those 2 specified achievements. Camp X was very real however. As was the Avro CF-105 Arrow.

I recommend researching the life of William Stephenson and the Avro Arrow.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2015-featured-story-archive/the-intrepid-life-of-sir-william-stephenson.html

The Avro Arrow was one of the most advanced aircraft of its era. When the government cancelled it over 30 elite scientists and engineers went to NASA, as historian Bill Zuk asserts, “they helped put man on the moon.”

I apologise to the OP. I have a soft spot for these 2 subjects.
I hear you and no offense intended. I seem to get annoyed (grumpy old man style), when a watch company tries to create provenance overnight with an attached story, piggybacking on the achievements of others unrelated to them.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I hear you and no offense intended. I seem to get annoyed (grumpy old man style), when a watch company tries to create provenance overnight with an attached story, piggybacking on the achievements of others unrelated to them.
They have a long way to go to match the bogus stories made up by "Stauer" to sell their cheap pot metal Chinese watches.

You should read some of their magazine ads, they are almost funny until you realize they are fleecing the Rubes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts