Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're a Top Rated Plus Seller (TRPS) and have been jumping through all of eBay's hoops to earn your 10% discount on commissions ("selling fees") then you might not realize you just got screwed as of June 1st.

Turns out they just changed the system and the rules.

Now, in order to qualify for the discount, not only do you have to offer 1-day handling time (meaning you ship it out same or next day) and 30 day returns (in addition to all the other requirements for maintaining your Top Rated Plus status) but...

+ You have to offer FREE 30 day returns... so you pay for return shipping,

+ You can no longer place any restrictions or qualifications on the return!!!!

That's right....

While I used to comply by always shipping out the same day or next day, and offered 30-day returns, I would at least minimize my risk by:

- Specifying the Buyer had to pay return shipping.

- Requiring the watch be returned in the same condition (so stickers on and unworn if new in box).

- On some items charging a restocking fee (which no longer exists as an option either)

The above was solely for the purpose of discouraging those who are just looking to "try on" watches to see if they like them, or "rent" them for free for an important event (reunions, weddings, job interviews, etc.) and the ever-growing ranks of people who have no sense of personal responsibility.

So, while many companies are tightening up their return policies to cut down on abuses, eBay is loosing up their rules and encouraging returns, because hell, it's not their merchandise or risk, so who cares if the sellers get screwed, right?

Worse yet, they've trained their Customer Service staff (using that term very, very loosely) to PRETEND this didn't just go into effect on June 1st.

So, if you call in to ask why one of your new listings doesn't qualify for Top Rated Seller Plus status they'll offer to take a look and ask if you're offering 1-day handling and then ask if you're offering "30 day free returns" just slipping that word "free" in there at the end.

I mean, they can clearly see all my listings used to qualify and now they don't, and my account is 12 years old so they immediately know exactly what the issue is, but they don't want to come right out and admit they've just changed the rules, so they'll play games with you on top of screwing you.

The end result is:

a) You're either going to get screwed by a growing number of buyers who now don't even have to contemplate the cost of return shipping,

or

b) Your 10% TRSP Discount just went "bye-bye" without eBay openly acknowledging this is what they've done by design.

So, the effect of all of this is that they just gave themselves a 10% raise without admitting it.

Many of the naive might think... "Well, what's the big deal?" but earning TRSP status takes a lot of effort and transactions in the first place and a lot of jumping through hoops to earn and maintain a variety of metrics.

To have that all pulled out from under you without any real notice, or being forced to take on unrealistic risk is beyond absurd.

It might not make any real difference to someone selling used garage sale category items or cell phone cases that are such insane mark up and easily repackaged that there's really no downside... but we all know there's a big difference between a NIB watch with stickers still on and one that's been worn for 29 days.

Even eBay knows this, and they wouldn't dare implement such a policy if it was THEIR merchandise... but they know the loss will be YOURS entirely, so it's mind over matter..... they don't mind, because YOU don't matter (even though you pay the sales fees).

What an utterly despicable company.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,748 Posts
I quit using Ebay years ago, their commission on top of the Paypal fees are way too high!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Who may I ask is this top seller? I'd like to do business with that outfit because I could use a very expensive watch that I'll never buy but would like to use it for nearly a month and then return it for free. Can that be done a few times a year? :bolt:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I must be an outlier here (admittedly I don’t sell on EBay and I would never think of returning something unless there was a real issue).....

Ebay is a company and they changed their terms/pricing. No one has to like it and everyone could stop using them. But I don’t think that equates to them being despicable, immoral, or unethical.....

Now, someone that buys something, uses it for a month and then returns it (free shipping or not), they are all 3 - despicable, immoral, and unethical.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,748 Posts
Who may I ask is this top seller? I'd like to do business with that outfit because I could use a very expensive watch that I'll never buy but would like to use it for nearly a month and then return it for free. Can that be done a few times a year? :bolt:

You can buy a Rolex at Costco and do that!

Reactions: BevoWatch

·
Registered
863 Posts
I must be an outlier here (admittedly I don’t sell on EBay and I would never think of returning something unless there was a real issue).....

Ebay is a company and they changed their terms/pricing. No one has to like it and everyone could stop using them. But I don’t think that equates to them being despicable, immoral, or unethical.....

Now, someone that buys something, uses it for a month and then returns it (free shipping or not), they are all 3 - despicable, immoral, and unethical.
Absofuckinglutely!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Personally I have been a eBay UK user since 2003 I am not a business seller but I have bought and sold many watches as a private user.
To get the best out of my sales I wait for the final end credit fee of either £3.00 or £1.00, this is superb to maximise the return on my used watches.

I love eBay as a lot of people that use it do not research the pricing of items they are purchasing. This means a lot of the time I actually get more back on a used watch than what I paid for it. Sometimes I may have to wait 2 or 3 months but someone will give me the price I want.

Prime example was the recent sale of an Orient Mako MK1 the one with the extra pusher for the quick set day. For this piece I paid £99.00 approximately two years ago, and at the time of the sale you could buy the latest model with hacking and hand winding for the same £99.00.
I got £130.00 for mine and it sold within 2 days.

Another plus for me is eBay UK's customer service I have found it to be outstanding, that linked with the security of PayPal for purchases and sales it is a win win situation for me.

I do not abuse the system but I can purchase safe in the knowledge that if anything is not as it should be or as described I will get my full money back. This is even if the seller has refused the return which happened recently with an Orient Chronograph that had a dodgy crown.

For business seller's it is obviously different but for my interests it is absolutely perfect, I will continue to use the bay as long as this continues and long may it do so...

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,748 Posts
:biggrin1: In all honesty, I just can't do that.

Most people can't, but I have been in Costco renewing my membership when a couple of dudes haul in a soiled, used mattress, show their purchase receipt and get full refund.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This must have had a sudden affect on sellers as well, not top sellers but shitty ones... I've had to cancel 2 purchases and make 2 returns within 2-3 weeks. The 2 cancels the seller just never responded or attempted to offer an explanation as to whether they were dead or not interested in my lucky auction win.. the returns were both cases in which sellers were very young, and didn't know what they were doing at all.. 1 said no scratches on 'the glass' and 'In good shape'.. what I got was an unwearable Marine Star with the most noticeably, deeply gashed crystal I might have ever seen.. 2 was a 'men's' Seiko Coutura that turned out to be 33mm with a mop face.. it's causing the overall quality on both sides to suck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts