Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a Panerai homage for a long time, and finally impulse bought this on eBay the other day. I'm pleasantly surprised with the initial quality of the thing, looks good, feels solid. The strap it came on is terrible, it's ridiculously stiff, so it will get replaced soon. Otherwise I'm happy, for $120 it's a great deal.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Very Nice catch. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Considering that both the name Marina Militare and the half-crescent crown guard are trademark by Panerai, looks to me like a fake...not an homage

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
The crown guard is an expired patent...not a trademark, and you are correct that the words Marina Militare have been trademarked by Panerai....

·
Registered
414 Posts
The crown guard is an expired patent...not a trademark, and you are correct that the words Marina Militare have been trademarked by Panerai....
The crown guard is a current Panerai trademark my friend (as well as an expired patent) clearly stamped as such, on every Luminor .... one the Richemont Group guard jealously and enforce expediently.
Here are couple references to the subject.

http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/original-panerai-tight-seal-device-us.html
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/panerai-luminor-1950-gmt-pam-321-watch-review/

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Ok, so we agree that the patent is expired, and while its crown design is still "trademarked", you're gonna need to prove its the same design...which you cannot do. The shape of the crown guard is what is trademarked. We could debate for hours on whether or not trademark infringement has occurred. What a waste of time that would be, since I can most likely debate you into oblivion. Read the clip below about trademark infringement qualifications and I think even you, my friend, will see that "Likelihood of Confusion" has not occurred here. How 'bout we let this guy enjoy his new watch. It doesn't say Panerai on the dial....so be cool. I see watches very similar to this one regularly on this forum, and nobody says a word about them being fakes...unless they say Panerai on the dial. If you don't like the watch, simply say nothing. I couldn't care less if you like it or not, but if you're gonna make a comment, please be respectful and positive about a new arrival, or simply keep your negative thoughts to yourself....IMO it makes for a more fun place to hang out....My Friend

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
The crown guard is a current Panerai trademark my friend (as well as an expired patent) clearly stamped as such, on every Luminor .... one the Richemont Group guard jealously and enforce expediently.
Here are couple references to the subject.

http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/2012/10/original-panerai-tight-seal-device-us.html
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/panerai-luminor-1950-gmt-pam-321-watch-review/

Not every Luminor...my 104 isn't marked

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok, so we agree that the patent is expired, and while its crown design is still "trademarked", you're gonna need to prove its the same design...which you cannot do. The shape of the crown guard is what is trademarked. We could debate for hours on whether or not trademark infringement has occurred. What a waste of time that would be, since I can most likely debate you into oblivion. Read the clip below about trademark infringement qualifications and I think even you, my friend, will see that "Likelihood of Confusion" has not occurred here. How 'bout we let this guy enjoy his new watch. It doesn't say Panerai on the dial....so be cool. I see watches very similar to this one regularly on this forum, and nobody says a word about them being fakes...unless they say Panerai on the dial. If you don't like the watch, simply say nothing. I couldn't care less if you like it or not, but if you're gonna make a comment, please be respectful and positive about a new arrival, or simply keep your negative thoughts to yourself....IMO it makes for a more fun place to hang out....My Friend
Well aside from the potential endless debate about the crown guard that I'm not interested in having with you either ...
I can see is clearly undestood (and you agree) , Marina Militare is a Panerai Trademark and there for, the OP watch is a fake...MM replicas on most forums are banned for that same reason and was under the impression in this forum as well (please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm pretty aware and very careful not to ruin anyones new watch parade, when it comes to fakes however, I draw the line....and I reserved the right to called out, like it or not.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Hey watch freeks:
Drew is happy with his acquisition, which IMO is the central issue
Happy with the price point too.
I read sometime ago, after completion of one of his films, Sly
Stallone bought every guy in that film crew a Panneri. At an average
of $18,000 00 USD.True? Who knows?
Here at Malfunction Junction, Texas I'd be doing cartwheels if I
could afford even a flipped Pam.

X traindriver Art

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
l.MM replicas on most forums are banned for that same reason and was under the impression in this forum as well (please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm pretty aware and very careful not to ruin anyones new watch parade, when it comes to fakes however, I draw the line....and I reserved the right to called out, like it or not.

MM isn't restricted here. But if it were a replica Panerai that was built to make folks think that it was legitimate, then that is not allowed. For example a Panerai branded model 111 or 243, Rolex Submariner, Hublot Big Bang...etc

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nice pick!I'm sure it'll be even better with
A quality strap!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
476 Posts
MM

Every time I see a post about MM I have to laugh to myself. When I got into collecting watches I came across one of the more popular sites that sells MMs from overseas. There were a few people in that forum that had bought at least one and posted a few pix. I really liked the look and decided to plunk down the ~$80 for one.

I don't remember how it actually went, but in the meantime, I joined another watch forum and somebody in there posted a watch similar to what I had just sent away for. It was the black dial cushion case with no name on it. I liked the looks of the face with no lettering on it. That was the day I learned about Panerai. Until then, I had never heard of the name. (lol) I only had heard MM being mentioned.

Well, needless to say, after I posted my new acquisition and mentioned the price and where I got it, I was banned from that second forum. Days later I got an e-mail from somebody that I became friends with in there and he told me that I had bought a knock-off, or what that forum considered a knock-off.

I genuinely had no clue that I bought what they called a fake. lol I still have that MM, but I don't think I have ever posted it since then. I don't have any friends who are watch collectors and I know that most would not recognize the Panerai name. I like it, but only wear it around the house, now and then.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Great pickup Drew.

I like it. I've picked up a couple for myself and my son.

First thing I did was put a quality strap on it.

Totally agree with #four. Very well said.

Now go enjoy your new watch and ignore ANY neg feedback.

I'm wearing mine today in your honour. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm not trying to fool anyone with this watch. The closest Panerai AD is hours from me, which means 99.9% of the people here have never even heard of Panerai watches. I like it, if some people don't that's fine. They don't have to spend their money on them, or wear it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
MM isn't restricted here. But if it were a replica Panerai that was built to make folks think that it was legitimate, then that is not allowed. For example a Panerai branded model 111 or 243, Rolex Submariner, Hublot Big Bang...etc
Thank you for the clarification, I now stand corrected as far as what is allowed and what is not, here in Watchfreeks.....

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Nice pickup buddy! Those are fun for strap swappin'!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts