Watch Freeks banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Aspiring Expert
1,446 Posts
No reason to. Could be flying dildos from Venus. Hey let’s look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got that right "no reason"... lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let me add this epic event.

True story, I watched an orange light move back and forth silently over the San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff once. It lasted from 11:00 pm till 4:30 am. I was on a mountain called Wing Mountain right in front of the peaks camping with a friend. I think it was 2002. It would start getting brighter and then drop down in the leg of a “T” shape. The light looked like an amber street light, but in pitch dark you could see the light moving around in the center.

I have no explanation. There was no sound and the “T” shape movement was at perfect right angles. Neither of those facts support any man made stuff that I know of.

·
Senior Freek
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
New user single post and taken down before I saw it.... must have been amazing. Lol

·
Senior Freek
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It seriously looked like a flat earther was dispatched to attack. Not sure if I’m more amused or concerned.
LoL. Oh boy. A little disappointed I missed it.

Netflix has a really well done documentary on the subject that highly recommend, Behind the Curve. It’s not attacking or demeaning, and does a great job identifying the process by which people end up inside these extreme belief groups. It’s really well balanced in presenting the flat earth opinions and beliefs and mixing in science and other experts.
The ending is epic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
LoL. Oh boy. A little disappointed I missed it.

Netflix has a really well done documentary on the subject that highly recommend, Behind the Curve. It’s not attacking or demeaning, and does a great job identifying the process by which people end up inside these extreme belief groups. It’s really well balanced in presenting the flat earth opinions and beliefs and mixing in science and other experts.
The ending is epic.

The ONLY reason I would spend valuable time out of my life watching anything about flat earthers is to try and understand the root of mental illness that they have in common.

·
Senior Freek
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The ONLY reason I would spend valuable time out of my life watching anything about flat earthers is to try and understand the root of mental illness that they have in common.
I think it definitely highlights this in a very respectful and enlightening way.
I would also say that it isn’t mental illness necessarily. Many “normal” people have ended up in cults because you need normal sane people to grow a movement, right? Something in the message attached to the individual and pulls them in.
If you decide to watch it come back and share your thoughts and I’ll do the same. It was interesting and enlightening to fringe beliefs.
... and now that I’m reflecting on the documentary, I’m also thinking about recent events here and how I could have been more productive in my responses...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seen “Behind the Curve” on Netflix yet?

I’m an hour in and this tells me literally nothing except these people believe the earth is flat. Nothing about why they believe it.

The only value in this video came from the psychologists and psychiatrists.

There is some connection between the fundamentals of our situation as humans stuck on this rock, our feelings of being trapped in meaningless lives, our need to be more than the number we are, and the hope that we are learning something new that makes this all “not such an f’ing waste”. These people are just lost in these thoughts and emotions. The fact that they cannot understand and embrace this is the root of their mental illness.

·
Senior Freek
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’m an hour in and this tells me literally nothing except these people believe the earth is flat. Nothing about why they believe it.

The only value in this video came from the psychologists and psychiatrists.

There is some connection between the fundamentals of our situation as humans stuck on this rock, our feelings of being trapped in meaningless lives, our need to be more than the number we are, and the hope that we are learning something new that makes this all “not such an f’ing waste”. These people are just lost in these thoughts and emotions. The fact that they cannot understand and embrace this is the root of their mental illness.
The take away for me was the discussions about many of the individuals already feeling apart from the collective for other reasons or beliefs that lend them to go further down the road of the fringe beliefs. Leading me to think as a society we should be more mindful of the outcasts and bring them in rather than shun them and push them away.
Makes me think of schools shooters and mass shooters as well for the commonality that they felt apart form society as a whole and that drove them down the destructive path.
The questions I often ponder are, “What responsibility do we have as a culture to embrace these folks and make them fee accepted,” and “How can we be more influential in helping them grasp the truth and set a more functional belief system?”
People are not throw aways, and personally I think the American culture is far to quick to throw people away, send them to jail, and forget they are human and deserve rehabilitation. I don’t know exactly what the solution is, and I won’t pretend to. I just believe what we are doing now is not working.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The take away for me was the discussions about many of the individuals already feeling apart from the collective for other reasons or beliefs that lend them to go further down the road of the fringe beliefs. Leading me to think as a society we should be more mindful of the outcasts and bring them in rather than shun them and push them away.
Makes me think of schools shooters and mass shooters as well for the commonality that they felt apart form society as a whole and that drove them down the destructive path.
The questions I often ponder are, “What responsibility do we have as a culture to embrace these folks and make them fee accepted,” and “How can we be more influential in helping them grasp the truth and set a more functional belief system?”
People are not throw aways, and personally I think the American culture is far to quick to throw people away, send them to jail, and forget they are human and deserve rehabilitation. I don’t know exactly what the solution is, and I won’t pretend to. I just believe what we are doing now is not working.

Now that I can agree with.

You’re touching on the fundamental problem people have when it comes to politics. Nobody can “bring the other side in” and sit patiently to “hear them out” and civilly argue for and against theories or ideas that “get us all on one page”.

If people have a different opinion now they are deemed “wrong” and sent out to pasture. The sad thing is, there are many times that as an engineer and scientist I know for certain people are wrong, but they just don’t want to talk about other peoples’ opinions. It goes both ways. Even those pushed aside for fringe beliefs seem to never want to listen.

It’s a big problem.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,410 Posts
" individuals already feeling apart from the collective " interesting word choice, collective?

I thought we lived in a Representative Republic with a strong set of INDIVIDUAL RIGHTs, and have a Federalist form of Governance, not a Central Government "Collective".

Seems the current powers to be are striving for an all-powerful Central Government Collective, which is Unconstitutional, perhaps that's why the current POTUS is calling former Police and Military potential "White Supremacist" terrorists since all of those seriously took an Oath to Defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign, and DOMESTIC??? The Police and the Military are potential blocks to any dictatorship arising, must demonize and marginalize them now!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.