Watch Freeks banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, 4 May, is our Remembrance Day. At exactly 8 PM the whole nation came to a halt for 2 minutes of silence. That thundering silence is still very, very impressive and humbling.

On behalf of my fellow countrymen I would like to thank those from the liberating nations who gave all to free my country. We will never forget!

My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all lived through WWII. My grandfather was arrested during a raid and transported to Germany to work in a factory. An uncle of mine barely survived a Japanese concentration camp. His mother didn’t recognise him when he returned to The Netherlands in 1945. I was brought up with deep respect for those who liberated our country and I still have that respect. Imagine, volunteering as a 22-year old to fight a war on a continent across the ocean in a country that isn’t your own. To sometimes make the ultimate sacrifice. If you compare this to the selfish and shallow world we live in now, this is almost inconceivable.

Veterans in my country were neglected for decades, no one wanted to listen to their stories. This has shifted somewhat lately and only now something vaguely resembling appreciation is starting to emerge.

I have been on a mission myself and know what true camaraderie and unselfishness is. But this is nothing compared to those who gave us back our freedom. Deep, deep respect.

·
Long Time Member
3,086 Posts
Well said my friend. Ditto on your comments on all our vets. So little respect. Deplorable behavior. Very sad. The same is true here in Canada. I tip my hat to you GoodWatch, for your poignant post.

Lest we forget.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I will read this to my Dad next time I call him.
Not sure if he made it that far up north but he was in northern Belgium. He may have ended up your way after the bulge and sweeping though Germany. Not sure.

Thanks for the kind words. The men and woman who served back then, should be reminded of how important it was for everyone, and thanked as much as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.