Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My collection keeps shrinking. And I think it will probably shrink some more in the coming month or so as I may sell 1 or 2 more.

Just find myself wearing the same watch every day for a week at a time (or longer) and personally I am fine with that.

Some personal collecting/history thoughts:
  • Going back to 1985 -1990 I would wear just about any style or color combination. Liked a wide range of watches and styles. Swatch, etc. Only had about 2-4 (max) watches at any one time.
  • 1990: I purchased my first more expensive watch (for me). Was something I researched, learned about, saved for, and then actually purchased at a jewelry store

• 1991 - 1998 I had 2-4 TOTAL watches during this time period. Basically wore 1 watch at a time. Since I was running health and fitness facilities most of the watches were athletic/rugged styles like G Shocks, etc.

• 1999 - 2007: Started branching out with a variety of "fashion watches" from larger department stores or brands (Guess, Kennith Cole, etc).

• 2008 - 2010: Got bit by the Invicta bug and other similar brands. Started buying a lot of watches, impulse buys, tons of trading, etc. I had 40+ watches at some times and many never/rarely get worn. I had new watches coming in every other week, or trades. Watches going in and out, in and out, in and out ... endlessly. Was exhausting looking back at it now to be honest.
    - One positive in this period is that I did start looking at and buying some nicer Seiko and Citizen models.
  • 2011 made decision to start looking at the watches I have always loved but thought were out of my reach. Goal became to sell sell sell and save save save to try to make some of those watches part of my collection. These new rules went into immediate effect -
    - No more "impulse buys".
    - No more buying on credit. Save or sell or don't buy.
    - Absolutely no more "TV brand" watches. none.
    - Great "sell off" begins ...
  • 2011 - Present: Personal decision to greatly reduce collection and end up with core group of less watches, of greater value (TO ME), that I actually wear.
    - Current Goal is around 3-4 total watches (+ maybe a beater). For first time really make "wish list" of watches I want to add to collection and keep longer term and hopefully give to my son someday.
The reason I collect: My son Cole and my daughter Sky LOVE looking at the watches with me. One of my GREAT daily joys is each morning when I am getting ready for work they both help me polish the watch I am wearing that day. They both take a polishing cloth and rub the watch on my wrist. I love these few minutes each morning every day.
I have said many times that most/all of my watches will be going to my son someday.

Pictures of my collection and what is left, as of Friday, 7/24/15

Brietling Seawolf Avenger

Oris Aquis Chronograph

Omega Planet Ocean Seamaster XL

Oris TT1 Small Seconds Date Diver

Borealis Scout Sniper

Boschett Cave Dweller - Watch Freeks Forum LE

CASIO G-SHOCK GW3000BB-1A - solar

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Beautiful. I'm in a similar situation. Early last year I made the decision to not keep any more watches that won't fit in my box (which is eight). I sold off and traded most of my collection which had hit a high the year before of around 30 or so.

Right now, other than a couple parts or project watches, I only have 5 watches (with another 3 incoming as of right now) plus my grandfathers old Smiths Everest.

I don't "collect" anymore, and only buy what I plan to wear.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Very nice collection!

You are doing better than I am. Recently was very happy to see my number of watches drop to "only" 19 but I am at a loss to justify selling any more. 10 is my goal but has been for quite a while.

Ganson said: "I don't "collect" anymore, and only buy what I plan to wear."
Exactly.

·
11,577 Posts
Some very nice pieces you have there. Thanks for the peek at your collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That's a great collection. I'd wear any of them.

Reactions: TVDinner

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'm quickly getting into a buying phase, and came to terms after my recent purchase to stop and save for some nicer pieces that I really want.

Beautiful collections, by the way! And what great bonding time with your kids!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That's a great group, James. I have 31 or 32, of which 10 were gifts from forum friends. I've been wearing the same 7 this year, for 5 - 7 days at a time. There's still several I would like to have, but I have to move the other case queens to make room. It's not about quantity with me, but the desire to have a quality piece from many different makers. I don't know where it will end up, but I imagine it will be less than half of what I now have. It will have to be an even number, as my 2 grandsons will end up with them. I can relate to the time you share with your children every day.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Very nice. I'm glad your happy with your "Magnificent 7". Seven is not the right number for me. I need more variety than that and would not be happy with 7 at this point. I admit that I have more than I wear but I'm still thinking that 12 to 15 is the right number for me. I have no plans to sell any to get down to that number. But I've only added one this year, so far, and that was a $34 Casio so it barely counts.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I'm currently down to the six that are listed in my signature. One of them, the RGM, is up for sale and the Borealis Scorpionfish I pre-ordered should be here in August.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice magnificent 7

guess I am on the same road you are along with several others who have posted. I have in the neighborhood of 35. I decided this year to shake up the collection. For the 5th time in 40 years. Only going to keep what I will wear, no queens, and move up a notch. I have been struck by Balls. All because of one I purchased from a member here. Now that is about all I want. I have 3 and there are 2 more I want, someday. I am struggling on some of my current watches I have, keep or sell. I hope In the next couple months I can drop to 10 or 12. i have told my friends at work everything is for sale, except my balls. ( ah, sorry )

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Can I just say wow thats an outstanding collection you have there, I would be proud to wear each and every one.
I to am in the a similar mind set at the moment, I have a watch box that holds six, so the very maximum is seven. One on the wrist and six in the box, at the moment I have eight but plan to sell two. This will make way for another one possibly my first automatic.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

·
Senior Novice
3,191 Posts
Great read and picts. Often i wonder why and what You serious guys roll, Thank You for posting. Love the PO, Sniper and G too. Have to try on a PO in person someday.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well put I'm down to 12 from 28 and 4 more are on the way out. I am retired and I don't have to play dress up every day. Like you it seems the same 5 watches end up on my wrist. You have a great collection but the best part is about sharing time with your children.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice collection. Great looking watches and all keepers I would think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts