Watch Freeks banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

As you know I have a Lupah reserve Meteorite and I did a check on the accuracy vs my 251.272, and with me wearing it and after 39 hr it was off by about 2 seconds and some change. I did another little check with it just sitting and it is off by 9 seconds in a little over 24 hrs.

Now I am not a Auto expert, so I find that this is quite the difference, and I would have though that Gravity would not have made this big of a difference.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I have experienced the same scenario Rip. I have seen exceptional accuracy on various SW200's and my 7750 when wearing them but noticed that the accuracy diminishes when the watch is laying face up. I have heard (and read here and other forums) that autos sitting in such a manner lose time quicker...........???

CJ

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I did expect it too be different but that was quite a bit different. I was truly amazed at it being only 2 seconds and some change in a 39 hr period. That was pretty amazing too me!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Ron, that's not unusual.

When I do timing tests of my autos . . . . I will do a test while it's on the winder and record it. Then do a test where I'm wearing it (during the day) and laying on my bed table at night.

It's amazing how much difference there can be from this experiment.

This is the reason (in theory) that the Tourbillon movement was created. With the "cage" constantly spinning, it doesn't allow the escapement to stay static (in one position) and remain subject to the forces of gravity (in that same position). The Tourbillon (in essence) allows the escapement to "move" without the need to move the entire watch, therefore minimizing gravity's affect on the movement.

As a general rule of thumb, timing accuracy is more realistic when the watch is worn, versus on a winder.

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

Check out the WatchTime Magazine's reviews of watches. You'll see some pretty big differences in rates based on position. They average them to get their overall finding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.