Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Buy it now, their gonna sell out, lowest price ever, never to be seen again, limited edition only 20,000 made, Ghandi wore the same watch........

I enjoy the "entertainment" portion but find the "hype" to be irritating and at times cause me to look away (change channels).
Anybody ever get caught up in it and buy something you really didn't want? I have to guess that many of us do considering the overall volume that sells....or does everyone simply like the watch they purchased?

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I dont even here that actually, it kind of goes in one ear and out the other. I have never been one to listen to the sales pitch, I generally do enough home work to decide whats a good deal, and what isnt as good. However there are times when I am my own worst enemy, if there is a watch I want and the price is just ok I will still grab it instead of waiting!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

"I dont even here that actually, it kind of goes in one ear and out the other."

Me too.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Being part of a sales team for well over 15yrs, I have seen all kinds of different sales tactics. As much as I respect Jim, I also realize that this is a game and I would never want to participate in this type of sales tactics!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

Its all crap to me, I have totally weened off of the tv brands for the most part as the overexaggerations are crazy at best....IMO Tim Temple coming back to shop is a good thing as atleast hes not just a tall tale spinning fool.....On another note, I did just buy a Serta Mattress off the SNBC and must say it was even better then the hype!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I have NEVER been taken in by the hype! I've been in sales for over 22 years so I know all too well the ways to sell a product. I do my own research and know what I want so the hype never gets to me at all. I have also started to ween myself off of the TV shows as well. I'm kinda taking my collection in a different direction.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Buy it now, their gonna sell out, lowest price ever, never to be seen again, limited edition only 20,000 made, Ghandi wore the same watch........
that is the funniest line on this site in the past week.
I spit out my diet coke.
good job.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.............

thats what i go by anymore..........i have not watched the hype in a long time......

there is nothing wrong with the sellers and the sales tactics........its there job, but we dont have to be stupid anymore either.

its our decision whether to buy or not, and if we choose to do so, we are the ones to blame for not doing the research.....

years ago, i was caught up in the hype, till i started doing the research and really looking at other brands.........

you know, besides quality control issues, there really isnt anything wrong with the watches, .........if they were just upfront about alot more things, it would be alot better, like the 'NOW' ACCENT SCREWS ON THE SAS , INSTEAD OF FUNCTIONAL ONES.......YOU DONT NEED TO LIE TO ME TO SELL ME A WATCH, JUST TELL ME WHAT IT IS.........AND LET ME MAKE MY OWN MIND UP!!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that's gonna be NO for me as well! I love the designs of the watches that I buy and that's all that matters. I've grown weary of the nonsense of couple of vendors; to the point that I hit mute or don't watch at all. It's difficult to believe anything that's being touted on air; first we have the impossible to scratch the ceramic links debacle(didn't buy the watch anyway), then the sorry but some of the Reserve Lupahs came with mineral crystals situation. 2 YEARS IN THE MAKING HUH?! Nice planning! Then the S1 Touring coming out being described as sapphire crystals but ending up with mineral.Hmmm, interesting! If the owner of the company has no clue about what materials are going into the watches, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone believes what's said on air!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Let's also all remember that selling on TV, QVC and other similar channels is still relatively new in the overall history and scheme of things. And considering the high costs of running a television channel, sales are always going to be king.

If you know that going in, then hopefully you can do additional research and made educated purchasing choices.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I must admit that I can't "not hear" the hype, so I guess it has some level of impact on my buying.

With that said . . . I just can't buy into the sales pitch(es) anymore.

Even with "all good intentions", I can't help but remember that I'm getting a sales pitch, no matter how wonderful everything sounds.

There are times when I get fairly perturbed by hearing the same shtick! Especially when my experience of a timepiece is EXACTLY the opposite of what's being touted on-air!

Typically, I will make my decision BEFORE air-time so that I am not influenced by the hype . . . typically! :)

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Seattle wrote:
that is the funniest line on this site in the past week.
I spit out my diet coke.
good job.
Well thank you Mr. James (and sorry for the Diet Coke, I'll paypal you $1.25 LOL).

CJ

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

It did. Probably wouldn't have purchased my SAS without all the hype. What I wouldn't give at this point for a couple real nice Chase Durers in it place. Don't get me wrong I love the looks of my SAS but it was a hype purchase and then come to find out some of the issues later.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
It did. Probably wouldn't have purchased my SAS without all the hype. What I wouldn't give at this point for a couple real nice Chase Durers in it place. Don't get me wrong I love the looks of my SAS but it was a hype purchase and then come to find out some of the issues later.
Sorry you had some issues with your SAS, I own many of them and had zero issues and I wouldnt trade two Chase Durer's for 1 one of my SAS. And I own a few of them as well!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I tend to agree with Ron on this one. I have had no issues with my SAS and as much as I really like CD watches and will get 1 or 2 of them in the near future, I would not have traded it. Having the SAS in my collection is one of my upper level watches.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

No issues with my SAS other than I believe it was hyped beyond belief....for cryin out loud the bezel screws are decoration on a $600 watch.....give me a break. You would think on this kind of a watch they would be real. Again I love my SAS but would trade it in a heart beat for the right watches in a deal.

RipitRon wrote:
UKWolfeman wrote:
Sorry you had some issues with your SAS, I own many of them and had zero issues and I wouldnt trade two Chase Durer's for 1 one of my SAS. And I own a few of them as well!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I loved my Quartz SAS! However, the thrill was somewhat muted by 3 prior, consecutive defective SAS 7750s! :(

I traded it in on an Oris TT3.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

I would make that trade too.....nice deal.

CurrentTime wrote:
I loved my Quartz SAS! However, the thrill was somewhat muted by 3 prior, consecutive defective SAS 7750s! :(

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I remember that CT, that was a tough time for you. Not to mention getting slammed by some because you mentioned that you kept getting defective pieces??? Never understood that whole mess.

CurrentTime wrote:

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Now an Oris TT would be an interesting trade, lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts