Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Nobody knows anything about this watch? I really like it and would like to buy one in the future, but nobody seems to know much about them. I know that Gevril is a mid-grade Swiss line. Their watches sell retail at about $5-10K. The GV2 line is owned by them and they generally sell for about $2500 retail. I know the shop has sold this watch for around $900 and they now have some in the ball park of $600. I can pick this one up for around $400-$500.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Whats there too know? it has a good movement in it, it looks too have a solid bracelet, if you like the looks and the size doesnt bother you then grab it!

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I know the watch.I had one for about a month before I sold it.Nothing wrong with the watch, it just wasn't something that was going to be worn every day.

The watchseller has them at a very good price.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Whats there too know? it has a good movement in it, it looks too have a solid bracelet, if you like the looks and the size doesnt bother you then grab it!
I like your philosophy Ron. I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about the quality of this watch. I would like to add a 2836-2 to my collection. This seems like a pretty good deal. I do like the look of this piece as well. I may have to pull the trigger on one.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

dedward wrote:
I know the watch.I had one for about a month before I sold it.Nothing wrong with the watch, it just wasn't something that was going to be worn every day.

Thanks dedward. Which one did you own? Did you have it on the SS or the leather? Do you remember what you paid and sold it for?

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Don't own one Rob but have looked at them a lot. Nice movement solid company....seems like a good price too.
I'm really liking this watch. I found one with a red/black dial variation. These are selling for $1600 on Ebay new. You can't go wrong with an ETA 2836-2 movement. This watch has also been discontinued. There are only 500 made of each color variation.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Well

i dont have 1 BUT lets see:

+1 Eta Movement (+$200)
+2 double saphire crystals (+$200)

i dont think I would spend the money ($400) but i do think its worth it -just with the crystals and movmt alone

its a nice looking watch and Gevril is a Pricey Company so the $400 price tag on this may very well be a DEAL

my 0.02 cents

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
Well

i dont have 1 BUT lets see:

+1 Eta Movement (+$200)
+2 double saphire crystals (+$200)

i dont think I would spend the money ($400) but i do think its worth it -just with the crystals and movmt alone

its a nice looking watch and Gevril is a Pricey Company so the $400 price tag on this may very well be a DEAL

my 0.02 cents
George, You make a good point. I have been looking at these for about a year now. They don't seem to be coming down in price. I know you can bid on them at Ebay and other auction sites as Gevril sold all of these two secondary vendors last year when they were discontinued. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Yes and if you're patient -sometimes you can steal one on E-bay - i have gotten pretty lucky on ebay lately -got some seiko's coming for pretty much good deals

i would give it a shot on e-bay

Watchguru58 wrote:
George, You make a good point. I have been looking at these for about a year now. They don't seem to be coming down in price. I know you can bid on them at Ebay and other auction sites as Gevril sold all of these two secondary vendors last year when they were discontinued. Thanks for your comments.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
dedward wrote:

Thanks dedward. Which one did you own? Did you have it on the SS or the leather? Do you remember what you paid and sold it for?
The black gv2 on bracelet.Its a unajusted base 2824.The bracelet is good as well as the case.Its what you would expect for a swiss watch. I sold mine for 475.00 in mint condition.I don't think that would sell today at that price given the economy.

Acuracy was also good. It stayed within 10 seconds a day and didn't have much variations in its accuracy in any given position.I suppose the case could be made that it sells for less than the parts would retail.So to me its worth the price at 525.00

but its 42mm.for me thats fine. for most here, that seems to be to small.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

argabright wrote:
Rob,
I know nothing about the brand and haven't owned one, but here is an article you may find interesting:
http://www.europastar.com/europastar/magazine/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000863594

Good luck! The specs are pretty sweet, especially for the $$$

David
David,

That was a very good read. I think this watch is singing to me big time. Money is the biggest problem right now in obtaining it. I will have to see what happens Ha Ha LOL!! That means I will probably end up buying it in the very near future. The red/black dial is just cool looking.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

dedward wrote:
Watchguru58 wrote:
dedward wrote:

The black gv2 on bracelet.Its a unajusted base 2824.The bracelet is good as well as the case.Its what you would expect for a swiss watch. I sold mine for 475.00 in mint condition.I don't think that would sell today at that price given the economy.

Acuracy was also good. It stayed within 10 seconds a day and didn't have much variations in its accuracy in any given position.I suppose the case could be made that it sells for less than the parts would retail.So to me its worth the price at 525.00

but its 42mm.for me thats fine. for most here, that seems to be to small.
You sold it for a great price IMHO, but your right it is hard to move watches right now for anywhere near what you payed for them. I'm just going to hang onto mine in hopes that the economy improves and thensell some off later. I'm fine with a 42 mm case. I have plenty of mammoths in my collection. I actually like the 42/43 mm the most. It sounds like you have given this watch a great review. I like watches that are rare and of good quality and this watch seems to meet my expectations. One last question for you. How would you rate the smoothness of the seconds hand sweep. Would it be comparable to some of the upper Swiss Made movements or more along the lines of some of the Seiko/Miyota movements?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Rob,

It's a 28,800vph swiss ETA. It will NOT have the lower 21,000 vph like the miyota. It'll be smooth.

In addition to my Oris, here's a quick list of some pretty decent watch companies that have used/use this as their base:

Panerai

Cartier

Breguet

I think you'll be reasonably happy with the performance of the movement.:%

David

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
CurrentTime wrote:
I haven't owned that model, but I have owned a number of Gevril watches and found them to be excellent quality for the money!

http://public.fotki.com/dustbuster4/gevril/
Thanks for the photos CT. Are these from your own album?
Yes . . . all but the blue dial chronograph (which was one I never could snag).

I've owned all the other models, with my last Gevril being the silver dial chronograph which was 51-Jewels!

I miss the solid Gold Metropolitan, but it was too small!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.