Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I showed a friend my new Orient Mako and pointed out that I put on a far more substantial PD bracelet. He gave me a look of disapproval as though I had lessened the watch's worth??
I then showed him the polished bezel on the new Renato WB...he was borderline horrified!
I never gave any of this much thought, I always did things because it worked for me and rarely considered the resale or trade value of something right after I bought it.
I guess if it were a $20,000 something or other watch brand maybe I would be less inclined to "mess with it", not sure. I modify $30,000 & $50,000 cars.........
What do you guys think?

CJ

·
Registered
699 Posts
imported post

I don't think changing a strap would lessen the value, you always have the original. Major modifications, like polishing a brushed bezel, would make me think twice about buying a used watch, but if you're not concerned about resale value, who cares?

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Kinda my thought JB, I don't initially buy a watch to resell or trade......and I like most of the changes I make.

CJ

jb182 wrote:
I don't think changing a strap would lessen the value, you always have the original. Major modifications, like polishing a brushed bezel, would make me think twice about buying a used watch, but if you're not concerned about resale value, who cares?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Well it only will be an issue when or IF you try to sell it down the line. Then when you are listing the condition of the watch you will have to describe what you did to it to modify it from it's original condition.

Most people when buying a watch are looking for the exact watch they see advertised initially, so yes the changes you made COULD effect people looking to purchase your watch if/when you ever decide to sell it.

On the flip side you might find buyers interested in the Mods you did and that might make it more desirable to a few buyers.

But I imagine your friend's concern was from the fact that it is no longer the "original watch". That is only a concern if it bothers you. Remember YOU are the one wearing it. So until you sell it this means nothing.

Also and finally, I think I big big point in our discussion here about the watches you mentioned is that we are talking about nice watches, but ones that cost a few "hundred dollars" and not many thousands. I think you have more leeway modifying watches that are of a lower price point.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I agree with you OP, but I probably would not alter any of mine. The reason for this is, that is why I buy a watch, because I love it, not for what I could do with it. But this is just my opinion about my own motives. Changing the band or bracelet is such a minor modification I wouldn't really consider it to be a modification.

What you do to your watch is solely your business.

But, question, if you took a calf skin band off of a watch and replaced it with an exotic like Ostrich or Shark skin, wouldn't that in theory increase the value?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

ive been known to modify watches alot...........lets see.....i took a chain off a yellow posideon russian diver(hi tvdinner), i have brushed almost any high polish on a bracelet to a satin finish, i have changed bracelets many times as well..........

i will also say that if you know what you are doing, you do not damage the watch...........i had taken my crossfire wich i recently had to just sell, but i had taken the bracelet from a high polish to a satin finish..........the thing is, it can alway be reversed and the high polish can be restored very easily............and i did sell it as well........i guess it depends how the watch looks with the mod you did to it as well.....

i say, they are your watches, so do whatever you want to them............

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

WTF are you doing Seattle are you out of your *&%# Mind? Damn man you bought the watch with your money that you earned, so I think you have the right to do as you please!

However When I see a car "lets us a mid 80's monte" and some guy lifts it and throws a set of 26" gold wire wheels I think too myself what a IDIOT.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i agree that with some skill the mods can be done w/o harming the watch or the bracelets

hey don -i really liked that satin finish mod you did to that watch -too bad you had to sell it -but it was very nice looking with the satin finish

tattoo chef wrote:
ive been known to modify watches alot...........lets see.....i took a chain off a yellow posideon russian diver(hi tvdinner), i have brushed almost any high polish on a bracelet to a satin finish, i have changed bracelets many times as well..........

i will also say that if you know what you are doing, you do not damage the watch...........i had taken my crossfire wich i recently had to just sell, but i had taken the bracelet from a high polish to a satin finish..........the thing is, it can alway be reversed and the high polish can be restored very easily............and i did sell it as well........i guess it depends how the watch looks with the mod you did to it as well.....

i say, they are your watches, so do whatever you want to them............

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i agree with your example - tastesless -but if it was you and your car, and you liked it - its up to you right??

RipitRon wrote:
WTF are you doing Seattle are you out of your *&%# Mind? Damn man you bought the watch with your money that you earned, so I think you have the right to do as you please!

However When I see a car "lets us a mid 80's monte" and some guy lifts it and throws a set of 26" gold wire wheels I think too myself what a IDIOT.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

You know me i dont march with the band, do like to mod watches but draw the line on my more expensive watches!! Long as you want to keep them mod away but i flip alot of pieces and if i think one day it might have to go i dont mess with it! changing straps are no big deal, just make sure you keep the original around!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

You know what? Mod away! I wouldn't care what a watch was worth. Once you mod it, especially if it comes out well, it's a one of a kind. And it's yours.

How cool is that?

T

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
You know what? Mod away! I wouldn't care what a watch was worth. Once you mod it, especially if it comes out well, it's a one of a kind. And it's yours.

How cool is that?

T
very cool and I agree actually. I have modded 3 of my watches now (2 of mine and 1 of my wifes) and totally fine with that to be honest.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

If you decide to switch out the bracelet or band just keep it in the original box and if you decide to sell it later then put it back on. I would be hesitant to buy a watch that has been physically altered ie. changing the finish on the case or dial. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
imported post

[align=center]I highly believe that watches do not always come with the best choice bracelet or band. The Subaqua Noma III are a perfect example. I change them around all the time. My latest acquisition came as a bracelet and in now on rubber. I've done this many times and will continue to change them around as I see fit. Here is my latest two MODS.

Before

After

Before

After

[/align]

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well...as for modifying a watch by changing the bracelet or strap...I think that's all up to the you. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. I took off the rubber strap on my QRd because the darn thing was too short...and they still are as Invicta sends them out with that little strap. I have two replacement straps for mine now, and interchange them as I see fit. I also took the Alligator strap with deployment clasp off my Swiss Legend President Blue Sandstone watch because it's too small. I replaced it with an XL deBeers black baby Crocodile strap so I could wear the watch. I put the gator strap on one of my Crotons, and since the Croton is tourneau shaped, the strap is now plenty long enough...as is the ostrich strap. I don't have many bracelet watches and the ones I do have fit me fine...all that has been done to them is they have been sized. But the changes in the bracelet above to the SAN III bracelet are interesting...and as for making a satin finished bracelet into a shiny finish..well I guess I would have to see the before and after pics to comment.

Oh...RipitRon...I sometimes see cars altered and wonder the same thing...what sort of knucklehead did that to that car???? Especially when I see a classic car messed up terribly!!!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

I took the rubber off my Anonimo and put on the OEM Leather/Kodiak...I think it looks even better....granted I got "took" for a $250 strap.....But i wanted OEM.....Realize now i likely should have got a sweet strap at a qtr of the price...but oh well...I likie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts