Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know the general consensus here regarding winding your automatic watch. Do you prefer to hand-wind it? Do you prefer to shake it? Or, do you do a combination of both methods?

Normally I shake 3 of my autos at night so I can choose one to wear the following day. If I have not used one in awhile and it has stopped, I'll wind it first then shake it.

The exceptions are with my Orient Mako XL and my SKX007J; I have no choice but to shake them as they can't be hacked.

So, are you a winder, shaker or a bit of both?

·
Watch Freek
462 Posts
I never shake as I’ve had experience with abrupt motions throwing an am/pm wheel off of an Orient. I usually do a circular motion, but I also hand wind the crown sometimes. Usually, I grab the auto of the day and strap it on when I get up, then go about making coffee & bathroom stuff and by then, it’s running and ready to set properly. Doesn’t seem to take much to jump start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Aspiring Expert
1,992 Posts
I would wind because the winding gear is typically very simple and robust in comparison to the auto-wind mechanism in most watches and is far less expensive to repair should anything break though I've yet to see a manual wind break before a failure with an auto-wind assembly which is far more complex... ;)

Reactions: Roarry

·
Watch Freek
946 Posts
Curious to know the general consensus here regarding winding your automatic watch. Do you prefer to hand-wind it? Do you prefer to shake it? Or, do you do a combination of both methods?

Normally I shake 3 of my autos at night so I can choose one to wear the following day. If I have not used one in awhile and it has stopped, I'll wind it first then shake it.

The exceptions are with my Orient Mako XL and my SKX007J; I have no choice but to shake them as they can't be hacked.

So, are you a winder, shaker or a bit of both?
I have read up on the characteristics of certain watches, so am careful what I do. For example, the NH35 is very robust, and as a result you can hand wind it all day long with no risk of damage, on the other hand the ETA 2824 and any of its derivatives don't like being hand wound. In general, I give a watch a few hand winds the day before I wear it, then put it on the watch winder. This allows it to settle down and offer more accuracy

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Normally I try to swirl first, but if in a hurry I'll wind for 20 turns and wear it...

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
Have always gone with shaking snegron, and I’m not actually
100% sure why either. 😊 Maybe it just seemed fun that the
watch could be wound that way, so I did it. Or was afraid that
I might over wind the watch, or something. But either way I
guess I’m a shaker. 😀

This is such a fun topic, thanks so much for coming up with it !!!

·
Senior Novice
3,266 Posts
Today's was dead so I set the date, time, about three cranks to the crown got it movin' so I gave it 5 more and just put it on. Tonight the one I had on yesterday got a twirlin' on my way through the house relocating it. I was thinking about how quiet it was as it spun too, smooth and solid (4r36).
Good one snegron.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Usually hand wind but this is the exception. Give it a quick shake to wake it up. Then I set the time. No normal hacking capability but it does backwards hack. My OCD won’t allow me not to set it with the second hand spot on.
540A18AF-272A-4FEC-AB52-8D94F1FBCD82.jpeg

·
Long Time Member
1,728 Posts
I wind a bit , with the ones I can, then shake and wear. Some, Orients for example, get started really easily, with just a shake.

·
Watch Freek
755 Posts
I used to wind or shake my autos,but now I just take them for a 15 minute walk around the block.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts