Which arm do you wear your watch on?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This topic has always fascinated me and I would love to learn more about how the tradition to wear watches on the left arm was started.

Most people you see wear their watches on their left arm. I always wear mine on my left arm. But why?

It seems that this just exposes the most vulnerable part of a watch - the crown, to potential water damage when washing hands by having it on the inside side of your arm.

Could it just be because more people are right handed and wearing it on the left as most of us do allows for easier access by the right hand to manipulate the crown and other watch features?

Of course you can wear a watch on either arm, and there are many "lefty" watch options now available.

I was curious about what everyone else thinks, and does.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

obviosly being a righty, i wear the watch on my left hand. but i think the reason most do that is because not only is it easier to set the time, adjust it etc, its because we use our right hands for everything, writing, shaving, smoking, anything, we use our right hand for , and if we had a watch on our hand writing wrist, i think it resrtcts movement............just a theory.....although my dad is a left, and he wears his watch on his left as well.........

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Left Arm & i'm Left handed

always wore my watch on my left arm - my dad always said the watch wasn't made to wear on the right arm and it wouldnt work properly - that may be outdated but i am "OLD SCHOOL"

it would feel weird on the right arm for me

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Definately left wrist because I'm right-handed! I tried wearing it on my right but it felt WAY too weird and it got in the way of writing for me.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

does anyone know the history behind WHY wearing a watch on the left hand is the norm?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I wear it on my left hand and I am a righty...My wife is a righty also but she wears it on her right hand also....

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

as you may know my dad was a watchmaker - anyway he told me (back in the day)
that watches (this is pre-quartz -for when auto mechanicals ruled) were not meant to be worn on the right hand -they were balanced and configured to be worn on the left hand to work properly

i dont know much about these things but i guess -movements have changed since then and possibly this is not an issue anymore

but i guess if you're a person who has always worn their watch on the left hand -which has been to predominate norm for along time -it wouldnt feel comfortable on the other wrist - i personally have never tried it

TVDinner wrote:
does anyone know the history behind WHY wearing a watch on the left hand is the norm?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

I can wear a watch on either hand. Depends what kindof mood I'm in. The watch I waer on the right hnd the most is the excursion gmt, because of the crown being so big. I can wear it on either hand and won't bother me but it wears better on the right for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
imported post

Funny topic, I get asked all the time why I wear my watch on my right hand. For one, I'm right handed (which doesn't make sense), and two I think its because my father is left handed and he wears his on his right hand, and of course being his son I wanted to be just like him so thats the hand I wore mine on, and I always have, but everyonce in a while I will switch it up and try the left hand...

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Iceman1974 wrote:
Funny topic, I get asked all the time why I wear my watch on my right hand. For one, I'm right handed (which doesn't make sense), and two I think its because my father is left handed and he wears his on his right hand, and of course being his son I wanted to be just like him so thats the hand I wore mine on, and I always have, but everyonce in a while I will switch it up and try the left hand...
wow , youre really strange..........i dont wear my watches on either hand.........i wear them on my wrist.........lol:q

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

left wrist of course, but i can not tell you why

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I wanted to revisit this thread because we have so many new members.

While I am here in Florida working I am seeing MANY people with watches on their right arm. Which to me is strange, but to each their own.

What about you?

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

for many years when i was younger (teens/20's) i would wear it on my right wrist and i'm right handed. my father used to make remarks about it and one day i switched over to the left. i have tried recently wearing my RD on my right because of the crown, but it felt weird going back. i use a mouse a lot and the strap/bracelet tends to get in the way.

my guess would be that one choses a wrist because of societal norms or upbringing

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Interesting Article about this.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5412920_do-wear-watches-left-arm.html

Though portable timepieces were invented 300 years before the first wristwatch, they were not as widely popular as the pocket watch. The pocket watch design demanded the use of the right hand to wind and set it and therefore influenced the orientation of the wristwatch that became the standard for timepieces in World War I and beyond.
.Religion Creates Demand
In the late 15th century, the first portable timepiece, later known as the "pocket watch," was invented in Germany by Peter Henlein. The rise of the watch was heavily influenced by the Reformation in the 16th century. Adherents of Calvinism were restricted from wearing elaborate clothing and jewelry. However, the watch was considered a useful item, creating a boon for the jewelry makers in Geneva, Switzerland, who were no longer profiting from jewelry sales.
The Watch Boom
Advances in technology, precision and design continued for the next two centuries, making Swiss watches world-renown as the gold standard of quality. Household names such as Chopard, Movado and Patek-Philippe emerged in Switzerland as well as neighboring countries. All competed to invent the most coveted timepieces. In 1810, Abraham Louis Breguet became the first documented inventor of the wristwatch prototype we know today. Though other watch companies copied and improved the wristwatch design, they were not a popular accessory.
Form and Function
Men did not commonly wear a wristwatch until more than a hundred years after Breguet's prototype. Wristwatches became synonymous with "ladies jewelry," and men still continued to carry loose or chain-linked timepieces. As a result, tailors began to sew a pocket on men's suit vests to conveniently house the timepiece for checking or winding, hence the term "pocket watch." These early watches required setting and winding with an instrument, such as the key, or later, with fingers on a crown dial. As a practical consideration, winding a watch was more efficiently executed with one's more dexterous right hand as approximately 90 percent of the population is right-handed. Therefore, suit pockets and watches were worn on the left side for storing and holding in hand.
From Breguet To Barracks
World War I marked the shift when wristwatches became a more masculine symbol of fashion. Scores of soldiers were given military-issue watches or wore their own pocket watches modified to fit the wrist, to free both of their hands for combat equipment. Pilots wore the face of their watch on the inside of their left wrist to see the time while flying, enabling the use of their right hand for panel controls. Since most of these men formerly wore pocket watches on the left, they oriented their wristwatch accordingly. Likewise, instead of using the right hand to wind the watch, it is now necessary to buckle a strap or metal bracelet.
Right Hand Watches
Due to the proliferation of watches designed to be worn on the left, those designed to be worn on the right hand are extremely rare and highly valuable to collectors. Though there are more modern watches available for the left-handed consumer, they lack demand and are manufactured less.

Read more: Why Do Men Wear Watches on Their Left Arm? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5412920_do-wear-watches-left-arm.html#ixzz0u8Qy7t2y

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I wear my watch on my leftwrist 99.9% of the time. Every once in a while I might wear my watch on my right wrist....but usually it feels wierd after a fewhoursand I'll put it back on my left wrist.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

Left wrist for me. I have to agree with Chef's 1st posting, thanks for the article, interesting read.

I do own and wear a pocket watch, which is chain secured to my belt with a chain, with the watch inside my right pants pocket. The only people who wear suits in my community are tourist. This is Cowboy country.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts