Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do you understand why I feel I can't go to work at like Wendy's or McDonald's for $8 an hour just to change my employment status from jobless to working? Or am I just spoiled and expect too much from our stagnant economy?

I am a home owner, two mortgages, a home improvement loan, and various credit cards. My unemployment compensation just covers my bills. Groceries and unexpected expenses come out of my online sales.

$8 dollars and hour would not cover these bills. $8ph grosses $320 per week, after taxes $260, then there is gas for the work week, around $20, lunch while at work for the week $30 drops this down to around $200 per week. $800 per month. This is about $700 per month shy of paying my bills, let alone any groceries or unexpected expenses.

I have friends telling me to go to Wendy's, they're hiring. Are these friends brainless? Or just malevolent?

I have to find a job paying upwards of $15ph to compare to where I currently am and be able to make my monthly responsibilities.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Jeff
I have heard similar things from many people I know. I think in this tough economy the general thinking of the past has changed. Now anything is better then nothing. Pride has nothing to do with it any more, it is survival. For many of us this is the worst economy we will ever see in our entire lives. A once in a generation situation.

So I think people have taken jobs they once would not have even considered, not only to make a little bit of money, but also to just stay active and stay engaged in the world around them. It is easy to just do nothing, but I am of the belief that if I lost my job I would work at Wendys, Target, the gas station up the street third shift, or where ever I could just to get through this time.

It is very hard, but staying "involved and engaged" is the most important thing in my opinion.

Chin up my friend. We all will get through this. I honestly believe that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

Its tough out there for sure. I can see both sides. On the one hand, even working fast food it can be difficult to get a full time position...on the other hand, working somewhere part time seems better than not at all.

However, this would probably stop you from getting unemployment which would be even worse...so not working fast food is probably best...or not...

Man, the way things are it just seems like there is no right option.

Whats scary is that I bet the majority of us here on this forum are a paycheck or 2 from being on the street so to speak.

Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for the best for you!!!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I am with TV, I would work Two jobs if I had to. I have never been on Unemployment and never will, If I have to work two and pick-up pop cans for a third job that what I will do!!!

I dont damn anyone for being on it, it just isnt for me!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I can only imagine being in that situation Jeff. If I was in that unenviable position, I believe that I would feel the same as you. if your current status allows you to keep pace, I can't imagine going backward. Keep grinding away and I'm sure something will come along to suit the bill. At least that's my attitude. In my mind, I'll always be alright no matter what; even if the situation dictates the contrary. Besides Jeff, working around a bunch of youngsters who have yet to figure out what work ethic is, would probably drive you effin nuts! I'm not sure how I would be able to deal with a 19 yr old shift manager barking orders at me.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I can only imagine being in that situation Jeff. If I was in that unenviable position, I believe that I would feel the same as you. if your current status allows you to keep pace, I can't imagine going backward. Keep grinding away and I'm sure something will come along to suit the bill. At least that's my attitude. In my mind, I'll always be alright no matter what; even if the situation dictates the contrary. Besides Jeff, working around a bunch of youngsters who have yet to figure out what work ethic is, would probably drive you effin nuts! I'm not sure how I would be able to deal with a 19 yr old shift manager barking orders at me.
It would be easy Tuna, a little deep friend fingers and you would have him eating out of your hands!!!:%

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What is bugging me the worse, my best friend acts like I am a welfare burden on his taxes because I am unemployed and receiving compensation. He tells me things like Ron's remarks, go get three jobs then. Must be nice to be physically fit enough to be able to handle three jobs along with EVERYTHING that needs to be done around the house. Unemployment compensation is not welfare, it is insurance which is why it runs out eventually.

I think this friend is a hypocrite because his wife lost her job and is on unemployment, but she lost hers three months before their new baby was born, so now she gets to be a paid stay at home Mother for several months. I don't hear him telling her to go get three jobs, but I do hear them talking about how much they would and will be out when she has to return to the work force.
He is one of the lucky ones with a gravy executive job he loves and makes over $100K per year and is always throwing his newest acquisitions up to me and his other friends who also can't compete.

I wish I had not put this topic up now.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Well dont take my methods as an insult, I am telling you what I would do. Like I stated I dont damn anyone for being on Unemployemnt, You paid into it and it is a benny you recieve from an employer.

tough times, and only you can make the right decision for you!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Do what is best for you and yours always first!!!! I don't think I could work for $8 an hour as it would almost be like working for nothing in this economy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
. . . It is a good thing to post Jeff. It's a very relevant topic to all of us, and you also need to have a place to "sound" these issues. There is pretty broad slice of life represented here, so you will have a number of different views expressed. I, myself, would do as you are . . . and be actively aware of any opportunity that may come along. Ready to grab onto it. . .

Mostly, no one should tell anyone else how to run thier lives. You do the best you can.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Jeff

i'm sure things will turn around for you soon enough!!

with all the good karma u are creating and friends on here
you will be ok eventually... just have a little faith until it happens brotha!!!

best of luck and i'll send out a little karma prayer for you!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
imported post

We aint seen nothing yet and this is the buying season, wait till the end of Jan and the first of Feb, Hell there are shopping malls closing down, we are hearing words like ghost banks and ghost malls, but theres always border jobs, if some of you know what i mean, LOL !!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
is always throwing his newest acquisitions up to me and his other friends who also can't compete.
With all due respect, TR, this "friend" is an ass...He is aware of your situation & what you are going through yet, he has the extreme audacity to say the things he does & then proceeds to rub your face in whatever new thing he has spent his money on...To say that is in poor taste would be an understatement...A friend would offer you comfort & understanding, a shoulder to lean on, not this bs that he appears to so freely give...

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Well put Randy; it is what is, the truth about what's going on and how it makes people feel is relevant. We have all been affected to some degree or another.

CJ

randyswagon wrote:
Tera-Ram wrote:
. . . It is a good thing to post Jeff. It's a very relevant topic to all of us, and you also need to have a place to "sound" these issues. There is pretty broad slice of life represented here, so you will have a number of different views expressed. I, myself, would do as you are . . . and be actively aware of any opportunity that may come along. Ready to grab onto it. . .

Mostly, no one should tell anyone else how to run thier lives. You do the best you can.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Duchess wrote:
Tera-Ram wrote:
is always throwing his newest acquisitions up to me and his other friends who also can't compete.
With all due respect, TR, this "friend" is an ass...He is aware of your situation & what you are going through yet, he has the extreme audacity to say the things he does & then proceeds to rub your face in whatever new thing he has spent his money on...To say that is in poor taste would be an understatement...A friend would offer you comfort & understanding, a shoulder to lean on, not this bs that he appears to so freely give...
I don't take offense to this at all from Matt, when I was driving as a USPS contractor, I was making $26 an hour and being single, I could keep up and compete with him, he is just still in this mode and I and other friends are not. He doesn't mean anything. I was just venting and once vented I realized Matt has not changed because his position has not changed. He is incredibly shallow and self centered, but the new baby is making him grow quickly.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thank you all for your comments.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
What is bugging me the worse, my best friend acts like I am a welfare burden on his taxes because I am unemployed and receiving compensation. He tells me things like Ron's remarks, go get three jobs then. Must be nice to be physically fit enough to be able to handle three jobs along with EVERYTHING that needs to be done around the house. Unemployment compensation is not welfare, it is insurance which is why it runs out eventually.

I think this friend is a hypocrite because his wife lost her job and is on unemployment, but she lost hers three months before their new baby was born, so now she gets to be a paid stay at home Mother for several months. I don't hear him telling her to go get three jobs, but I do hear them talking about how much they would and will be out when she has to return to the work force.
He is one of the lucky ones with a gravy executive job he loves and makes over $100K per year and is always throwing his newest acquisitions up to me and his other friends who also can't compete.

If he was a true friend why doesn't he offer you a job????

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
Tera-Ram wrote:

If he was a true friend why doesn't he offer you a job????
Believe me, we've been there! Can't hire, he is just an estimator, but it's executive there, the estimator is who meets with potential customers and sets paving contracts for the company.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

If you are receiving Unemployment that means you, yes YOU paid into with YOUR taxes. It is NOT a giveaway program. You must have worked so many quarters and at a level that would allow you to get the amount you do. It is NOT welfare it is a long term safety net to workers. Do not feel it is wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts