• Yes and I've had floor mat issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and I've had sticking gas pedal issues

• Yes but I have not had either issue

• Lease the Honda to be on the safe side

• Lease the Subaru to have the added safety of AWD in your New England weather

• Lease the Camry and trust Toyota to do the right thing in a short period of time

• Lease the car I mention in my comments below

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We are in the process of selecting a new vehicle to lease for 36 months or so. We now have a leased 2006 Honda Accord EX-L coupe that has to be returned to Honda or paid for by April 1st. Our lease payment is $228. per month

Your comments and/or suggestions will be considered and are appreciated. You can vote and comment even if you don't own one of the recalled Toyota cars.

Until we leased this car in 2006 we happily owned or leased Toyotas back to 1991 and got as many as 311,000 major-trouble-free miles and as few as 77,000 before the leased cars were returned. The Accord is a very nice car but at slightly over 39,000 miles it rides and sounds like some of our old Toyotas at plus 100,000 miles.

In view of the recent widely publicized recall news about 2007-2010 Camrys in particular and their various sticking accelerator pedal and floor mat issues, would you consider buying or leasing one of them?

No money down 36 month lease payments for comparable 2010 model cars are as follows (4 cylinder, 4 door, auto trans, power everything including driver seat, etc.:

Camry LE $190.
Accord LX-P $260.
Subaru Legacy $299. (the only one with all wheel drive)

Zero APR 60 month financing puts the payment close to $400. to buy a car and that just doesn't fit well into our retirement income budget.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I think some of this recent toyota stuff is being really overblown as obviously many many people had no problems. My issue with Toyata is if they lied to the public and knew about these problems? That is something we will find out down the line I guess.

Legacy for me. Not a bad looking car either.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

No Toyota's here. I have a Honda that my wife drives, a Hyundai that my son drives, a Nissan that my daughter drives and I drive an Infiniti. So I have just about every thing but a Toyota....LOL.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I've never owned a Toyota.

I would recommend the Legacy, simply due to the all-wheel drive option. Both my vehicles have all-wheel/4-wheel drive, and I love this feature.

I am also a life-long Honda buyer (family has owned Hondas since the 1970s, and I've owned them since 1988), and would recommend the Accord.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
294 Posts
imported post

Call me crazy but I have only bought from the BIG 3 US auto makers... I know that those imports get great gas mileage and many are very cool looking with super performance.... well so do allot of the AMERICAN autos.. and I like a vehicle with some BEEF to it..! :l

·
Super Freak
4,923 Posts
imported post

I own a Toyota and am quite happy with it. Since mine is a 2003 the recalls don't effect me. The Toyota's have always been great cars and at a great price. I like the idea of the Legacy but if I were going to purchase a new one their too expensive. If I wanted a Legacy I couldn't score one for less then $35 to get it the way I want it.

I will also buy American cars. My last one was a Sevile STS. Overall I think I will always gravitate towards the imports. Their better mechanically and get better gas mileage. The only reason why I got rid of my really beautiful Seville was due to the 20.5 mpg/highway. I also will not purchase any cars that only use premium gas. It's infortunate many of the Subaru's use premium only.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

higher compression engines require premium.no way around getting mileage and hp without using higher octane fuel.but look at the fuel savings though.I get better mileage than some cars that run on regular.when deducting the difference in price at the pump, its about the same.I'd rather have 400hp and get 400 miles on the interstate than 350 miles in a 140hp box.but thats just me.screw economy cars.

As far as the Toyota deal? some floor mats might come unclipped and hang the gas pedal.if you added the extra mats,well thats not toyotas problem.the recall is also to check mechanical attachments on the accelerator pedal.I'd buy one.The chances of this happening are very small.recalls encompass the entire range.only a handful will be fixed.remember that part.mechanical attachments on the accelerator.why is that key here? most of these cars today use modules.the mechanical part on the pedal hits the sensor that sends the signal to the throttle body and then to the other sensors to adjust air,fuel,cam timing.this is fly by wire.the actual modules that do this are whats called black boxes.these are pretty much fool proof.look at a three dimensional model of how this works.toyota is concerned with a part thats inside the car, not whats under the hood.if that pedal sticks just hit the brakes and flip off the ignition.Nissan did a recall during the summer.there wasn't any press about it and it was a much more serious problem.the passenger airbag sensor could turn on when a passenger was in the seat and the seatbelt attached.when the light turns on the airbag gets turned off.its part of the child restraint system.its activated by weight.

I took mine in and it passed, but last month it turned on with my ex in the car.I took it back and it was replaced with a new unit.this only affected a small number of cars but nissan recalled thousands just to be safe.anytime you are dealing with transportation, its serious business.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
imported post

Well, I don't own a Toyota, and this would not stop me from buying one.

I remember the whole Audi 5000 dilema back in the 80's which is very much like the one with Toyota - unintended acceleration. Well they could never proove there was any defect or problem with the Audi 5000 to cause it to occur, other than driver error. I'm not saying it's the same case with Toyota, but I do think the floormat issue is kinda hokie as it seems that could occur with alot of cars.

Hopefully, the fix Toyota came up with will correct the issue, because there are alot of Toyota's made in the US and I don't think the slowdown in sales is going to help our economy very much.

To answer your questio, I would choose the Legacy due to the 4wd and living in NH seems it would come in handy. Also, owned a Subaru for many years and they are well built cars IMO.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Signed 2/22/2010

2010 Camry LE Automatic 4 cylinder MSRP $23,102.00

Barcelona Red exterior

Ash interior

Equipped with a Denso accelerator pedal (inspected and was not a recalled vehicle)

No money down (no lease cap reduction)

$295.00 Documentation fee

36 month / 36k mile lease

$179.00 per month, no security deposit, no end-of-lease termination fee

2011 models scheduled to arrive at New England dealers first week of March

Will I be doing this :eek: in a few months???

Thanks for participating in my poll!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.