Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

. . . I love birds! I have worked at getting them onto my feeders for a few seasons now.

I have Goldfinches in the ash trees out front, house finches on the driveway at the side of the house, scrub jays out back of the house and downy wood-peckers in the eucalyptus at the end of the driveway!!!!

Love the little buggers . . . I can watch them by the hour. A storm was coming in this past week-end, and the Goldies were in a frenzy to feed . . .

[align=center]FINCH FEST!!!![/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=left]. . . each of the two feeders hold 7 pounds of nyjer seed, and they wiped it out in a day!!!!! Meanwhile, at the side of the house . . . the house finches burned through about 4 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds.[/align]

[align=left]Any body else a bird fan???[/align]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

. . . they do make a racket at times. I like it, they sound happy!!!!

Chicken? You eat chicken??? I hated it when their little feet scratched my forehead . . . .

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Linda flips me "The Bird" all the time! Does that count?????

Ok, ok. Not kidding though.

When we were living in New Mexico we took a trip to Telluride, Co. for Thanksgiving of 2001. We were driving up route 666 (the designation has since been changed... wonder why) and we noticed a couple that was pullled off to the side of the road watching with binoculars, so out of curiosity I pulled over as well. Glad I did. In the trees about 100 yards from us was an entire flock (too numerous to attempt a count) of Bald Eagles!!!! Had to be migrating and taking a break. Once in a while one would move from one tree to another. Magnificant!!! The wing span, the talons! A sight that to this day has not been equaled for us. We have it on video, packed away in some box, but I really need to find it. Worth seeing again and again. Thought I'd share that "bird story".

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I like birds...I like all the wildlife that is around...I fill my feeders, I put peanuts out for the BlueJays...I throw corn to the geese around our pond & I feed the deer that come into my yard to drink out of the birdbaths.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I had a girlfriend many years ago that owned birds. They were not my favorite animal for pets. I don't dislike birds, and I eat many. We have a bird feeder and a bird bath in our backyard.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Yes, I have feeders around my home as well, even in these hard times I manage to try to keep the feeders filled daily. I have a thistle seed feeder for the black-cap chickadees and the golden finches hang upside-down to eat from, I have a suit feeder I keep a peanut butter & birdseed sandwich in (cost much less than the suit blocks), I keep fresh nectar in a hummingbird feeder during spring to fall and I have a large metal feeder for the regular wild bird mix. Even my old Mother buys Kroger's brand of cheap bread and tosses about a quarter loaf of torn up pieces in the yard daily along with any table scraps she might have that the birds will eat.

Our cats are crazy for the birds and sometimes manage to actually sneak up and catch one. I don't hate my cats for doing what comes naturally to them, but I make a fuss when they bring me the bird. Sometimes, it can just be set free when Sox catches one, he thinks he is feeding me by bringing it to me but Kate has learned they taste good and starts eating right away.

·
Registered
312 Posts
imported post

Wow you guys have taken some good shots of the birds.we take care of the birds,deer,ground hogs,racoons and a few skunks, and about 40 wild turkeys that live on our property.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

We dig the little tiny ones that come around (not at all familiar with birds), they are a little bigger than a golf ball and cute as hell. You can't tell they are in our tree utnil you walk by and than hundreds fly out at once, very cool!!

CJ

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I love birds! I take my JRT for a walk every day, and she is able to locate and point of birds that I sometimes don't notice.

My father always had birdfeeders in our yard while growing up in PA. I enjoyed seeing their colors, especially against the snow in the winter. :)

Here, in NC, we have Hummingbird feeders out front. There are several pair that live in the area. They are fascinating. My goal is to get some macro shots of one. :)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I get road runners in my back yard, I planted bushes and trees that attract hummingbirds, butterfly's, and wild birds in the winter that feed on the berries. I also get alot of doves. All summer long at the fishing ponds i go to downtown I get to see osprey, and herons.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Finches are cool!

Feed 'em all summer.

One winter there was a Pheasant living in the backyard for about a week.

I live in the city. The city. Boy was he lost.

I have even had Hawks stop by to feed on the birds I feed.

Not very nice. They mostly nail the mourning doves.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

toecutter wrote:
...Not very nice. They mostly nail the mourning doves.
That is exactly what happened to all of our Morning Doves. People in our neighborhood, including myself, have seen the Red Tail Hawks and others carrying away ground squirrels, red and gray squirrels and feral kittens to eat.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
toecutter wrote:
...Not very nice. They mostly nail the mourning doves.
That is exactly what happened to all of our Morning Doves. People in our neighborhood, including myself, have seen the Red Tail Hawks and others carrying away ground squirrels, red and gray squirrels and feral kittens to eat.
I know. They're like feathered garbage disposals. :BE

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

really dislike birds. someone had to say it.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Theresa and I keep feeders in the yard. We enjoy seeing the birds and I enjoy photographing them. Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

randyswagon wrote:
Is this a Starling . . . He looks mad!!!!

If he looks mad he probably did not want his pictur taken, :lol! If medmory serves that is a Eurppean Starling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.