Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other words, have you or would you purchase a watch that you wouldn't likely wear just to give your collection more "content"?

Cliffs ^^^

Explanation vvv

Seems like a silly question, but I have caught myself hovering over the Add to Cart button of a shady Chinese quartz watch simply because it met a particular aesthetic that I look for. I can't honestly say I'd wear it, unless I was planning on a situation I deemed too harsh even for my dedicated beater. And at that point, what good does a watch do if it is likely to break?

I can't come up with any other reason that I would want it, other than a placeholder in my self-proclaimed "too small" collection.

Is this a thing?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Interesting question. I haven't fluffed up my collection. I'm always 1-2 slots shy in order to house my watches. I think it's better to hold off, stare at the empty placeholder & save for a better piece that I know I'll wear. It's a tempting watch world in which we live!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've come to the same conclusion. I don't have empty spots per se, but the more the better

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I think I've come to the same conclusion. I don't have empty spots per se, but the more the better

Actually, I try to deliberately have more empty slots which translates to buying watch cases in advance of running out of space. I suppose I'm "trying" to fool myself into "thinking" I need more watches :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Never, I have a small rotation of 12 watches and I wear them all. If I find I have one or more that are not getting any wrist time I will flip them to make room for other pieces.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I never really fluff up my collection but I do buy an occasional weird watch because...well...it's different,so I guess I'm an eclectic buyer. I do wear every watch I purchase and as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...:cool:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have 12 watches and all of them are Seikos. Swore I'd never go above 10, but at least they all get worn.

I'm not one to buy something if I'm not going to wear it, so can't say any of them are fluff.

Since I try and wear the same watch for at least 3 days in a row, it means some may not get worn for a month. The benefit of that is the renewed interest I get when it's been that long.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guilty of one "fluffing" exercise -- and it has to do with "divers".

My view up until last year was that divers are a silly affectation if you don't regularly submerse yourself in salty water. But then I was persuaded by member of another forum that the "diver" is just another style expression in watch cases, but a perfectly valid one.

So, indulging my love of all things Glashütte, I bought myself a "diver".

And, I loved it on sight -- and still do.

Right, I thought. Most watch enthusiasts love divers; only 10% of your collection is made up of divers; you need another one. So, I bought . . . .

Turns out to have been a pure fluff :( . It holds little enduring charm for me, and is very rarely worn.

It was a classic case of inadequate reconnaissance. In reality, I'm fond of very few divers (in fact only two: the GO and the BP Bathyscaphe) -- so there will be no further 200+m "fluffs".

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Im a very impulsive buyer. I don't really think about the spectrum of my collection. If i like something and the price is right I will jump in. Lately my taste has turned to Tool Military type pieces. Damasko, Sinn, Marathon. Dievas. I like tough watches that can be used and not show a lot of wear. I do enjoy trying new movements either quartz or mechanical and this sometimes will influence my decision as to buy or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,892 Posts
Such a neat question rinzler, and it really could be a thing like you said. :)
I mean we all enjoy watches so much, so the wanting to fill up those watch
box slots really can become almost like a game. With any watch having the
ability to work, or fill the void.

Used to do maybe do something like this years ago with looking to get as
many Zodiacs as possible. But nowadays just enjoy the hobby more as a
whole, and every once in a while add something into the mix, but only of
it's something I'll really enjoy.

What a terrific topic ! :smile-thumb:

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Up until your post I had never heard of 'fluffing up' ones watch collection but a pillow, yes :D In contrary, I have gotten rid of a number of watches that no longer suit my taste, mainly 'fantasy' brand Chinese made quartz chronographs and stuff like that by giving them away. Good quality for the money though, in nice and complete packages with extras.

I never buy a watch on impulse but carefully select them and that process is aided by the fact that they are mainly pre-orders of watches yet to be manufactured (micro brands). I haven't bought a watch from a brick and mortar store since May 2000.

To be honest, no one in my family, friends and co-workers circle gives a rat's @rse about the size or state of my collection. That helps too :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
If fluffing up one's collection equals buying for the superficial look of a full watch case, then no I don't. And like Frans, I've noticed no one gives a flying you-know-what about my watches. An eye roll from the wife is more like it.

After joining this place I did ratchet up my watch purchase rate, but it didn't take long to realize I only like a fairly narrow aesthetic in watches and I stick to that.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
"An eye roll from the wife is more like it". :D I have just decided that spouses, family, friends and co-workers just don't understand us. They live on a different planet. Bless their ignorant souls :D

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
IMO, kind of a lame concept. Don't see why anyone would waste money on something they didn't like. Or knew was an inferior product like a fake Rolex just to increase the amount of pieces in their collection. I've bought a few on impulse. But I don't regret it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts