Watch Freeks banner

Do you care what movement is in your quartz watch?

• Yes, I will not buy certain movements

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't care. If I like the watch I buy it regardless of the movement.

• Sometimes and I will explain more below.

• I only buy automatics.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

It seems people like to endlessly discuss, debate, and pontificate about this topic. I love that fact because it is always educational for everyone.

But my question is this - do you care what movement is in your quartz watch?

Before you knew anything about the different movements we all wore Swatch watches, or Fossil, or some mass produced brands, and all that mattered was it looked good and told time. I know we are talking about some more expensive watches now, but why does the movement inside matter if it tells time and works well. You never see that movement and statistically very few of these break.

I would love to know why you would purchase one quartz movement over another. I have read many threads with the more expensive movements breaking or experiencing issues just like the less expensive ones. So it seems you have as good a chance with any of them so why be concerned.

So what says you? Poll above and comments below.

REMEMBER - There are no wrong answers here because ultimately it is a personal decision what you buy. I am wondering about the "why" for each person.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I currently see myself buying only Auto movements or Advanced Quatrz (such as the Eco drive's)

i agree for the most part BUT

watch $ = $250 or less -who cares
watch = $350 and up -no way would i get a G10 and think it was a good deal
when i can get a 7750 for $399 (these days)

OR MAYBE SOME FOLKS ARE RIGHT - MAYBE I'VE BECOME A MOVEMENT/WATCH SNOB????

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

This was copied from another post, so I'm not sure if it addresses what been raised in the OP . . .

For me, there were watch movements first . . . THEN there were watches.

I cannot buy a watch without regard to the movement. I became familiar with movement calibers, long before the various brands and their models. Yes, a watch must look good to me, but any company can manufacture a "pretty" watch . . . and I won't touch it if the movement doesn't "fit" the overall direction of the timepiece.

Arguably, Toyota's 1.8 liter motor in their Corolla is one of the most reliable in the world. It works perfectly . . . usually as well (if not better than) the "higher priced" motors offered by Toyota . . . and I'll never own one! It's NOT what I want . . . I don't care how damned good it is.

No amount of "spin" can make me change my views when coming to watches and their movements. The G10.211 "issues" which spans many a watch sites is another where conjecture and personal biases tend to dominate . . . not the actual facts.

The G10.211 WAS a wonderful, inexpensive design response to the need for an inexpensive, readily available Swiss quartz for the masses. And, it's just that! Since that time (when the G10.211 was first manufactured), it's been determined that "better", more sophisticated, higher jeweled movements were in need. The need arose from demand. So "other", more complicated, higher-jeweled quartz movements have been designed and manufactured.

Just because a "name" brand decides to put that movement into their least expensive model, it now becomes the basis for many an argument which starts something like . . . "Well TAG uses it in their watch, so it must be good" or something like that.

The G10.211 is a wonderful, reliable, workhorse of a movement. For those who could care less about movements, you shouldn't have any issues. For those who do care about movements, I'm sorry that your >$500 has one in it . . . there are so many other (better) choices that could have been used.

EDIT: The G10.211 is being/has been redesigned with metal parts and is now a repairable movement. Interesting development . . . why did it need to be changed if it was so good to begin with? :pk

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Could it be that the 7750 (or other higher priced movements) is/was overpriced and is now coming down in price (maybe because of the economy)?
What I see is a real blurring of what is "a better movement" based on price with the prices all coming down so drastically. It really exposes, at least in my opinion, the sometimes inflated pricing of one over another due solely to name brand or tradition/history.

WATCHURSELF wrote:
I currently see myself buying only Auto movements or Advanced Quatrz (such as the Eco drive's)

i agree for the most part BUT

watch $ = $250 or less -who cares
watch = $350 and up -no way would i get a G10 and think it was a good deal
when i can get a 7750 for $399 (these days)

OR MAYBE SOME FOLKS ARE RIGHT - MAYBE I'VE BECOME A MOVEMENT/WATCH SNOB????

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Very disputed subject but I agree TV it is informative.

I will give an example that I use. If the exterior of a watch appeals to me, the movement will never be the determining factor.

Example Accutron with the 7750 in it, IMHO is a Fugly watchthat is way to small for me to own $399.00, Yet a Invicta Venom G-10 for $448.00 I would buy all day long.

Movements mean nothing too me, to a point. They have a certain value and I would probably pay a little more for a auto then a quartz but not a lot. Too each is own and I can appreciate that analogy, but the bottom line is IMO a Quartz watch is more reliable, More accurate and takes less maint then a Auto!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I have no problem buying a quartz watch if I like it and the price is right. I do prefer Eco-drive quartz and automatics over plain quartz but not to the point that I won't buy quartz. Not all watches are meant to be treasures. There are beaters and everyday watches and I find quartz just fine for those uses. Again, as my taste changed from early on (hopefully refines) then I find myself moving away from quartz watches and more towards Eco-drives and autos.

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

i could care less. what i have found from my personal experience, which is the only thing i can go on, is that i have had an equal amount of success and problems with any and all of the movements. i think much of the different pricing on the quartz movements is hype, advertising, and promotion that pushes up the pricing of some of these movements. my experience shows very little quality difference between any of them.

my brother was someone who cared about these things, but in recent years he also has somewhat shifted his opinions on this to really not caring. decades ago maybe there was a substantial difference, but now there is such advances in production and equipment that these movements could all be produced the same way if desired imho.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

99% of my collection is auto; I did buy a quartz recently and was gifted one. I like both of them.
I still prefer auto to quartz and will probably never fundamentally change my stance. But with fewer and fewer auto versions coming out my choices have been limited....hence the acquisition of the recent quartz watch.
I really like the 2824's and the SW200 a close second. I also dig the 7750 but am not crazy about chrono's in general.
My ideal watch is a 3 hand with a 2824.......
I am somewhat discriminating but have noticed an evolution recently with my preferences. Never say never.........:b

CJ

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

GO JAPANESE -GO E-BAY -PLENTY OF AUTO's IN SEIKO MODELS!!
GOOD DEALS TOO ON AUCTIONS -just be careful of the s/h costs

Seattle wrote:
99% of my collection is auto; I did buy a quartz recently and was gifted one. I like both of them.
I still prefer auto to quartz and will probably never fundamentally change my stance. But with fewer and fewer auto versions coming out my choices have been limited....hence the acquisition of the recent quartz watch.
I really like the 2824's and the SW200 a close second. I also dig the 7750 but am not crazy about chrono's in general.
My ideal watch is a 3 hand with a 2824.......
I am somewhat discriminating but have noticed an evolution recently with my preferences. Never say never.........:b

CJ

·
Registered
188 Posts
imported post

From what I know about quartz, I will not purchase a G10.211 for more than about $100.00. I don't care how much I like the watch. If the movt fails it will cost you dearly to have a new one put in, and if you've spent several hundreds on the watch you pretty much have to do it. On the other hand, if you only spend a hundred or so, you can toss the bic lighter away and get another really cheap. If a 251.272, or 5040, etc. fails it can be reapired. Probably not cheap either, but it can be done. To spend 400-500 hundred on a watch that is a throw away just doesn't make sense to me. Especially, when you can get a 251, or 5040, in that 400-500 price range.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

This is a false statement, a G-10 Installed is around $100.00, you can barely buy a 5040F or a 251.272 for that!

JFM wrote:
From what I know about quartz, I will not purchase a G10.211 for more than about $100.00. I don't care how much I like the watch. If the movt fails it will cost you dearly to have a new one put in, and if you've spent several hundreds on the watch you pretty much have to do it. On the other hand, if you only spend a hundred or so, you can toss the bic lighter away and get another really cheap. If a 251.272, or 5040, etc. fails it can be reapired. Probably not cheap either, but it can be done. To spend 400-500 hundred on a watch that is a throw away just doesn't make sense to me. Especially, when you can get a 251, or 5040, in that 400-500 price range.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

A hot topic on any forum.The eta g10.A 4 jewel non repairable chronograph module.the reason its used.Its reliable.When its time for a service, the movement gets replaced.Also it does what its supposed to.Keep accurate time.Thats why a number of companies use it like Tag Heuer. highly jeweled quartz movements.an advantage? only if you enjoy spending a butt load of money when it breaks.Explain what all of the jewels are for in a quartz movement.I know the answer, just wondering if some of you do. people say the 251 series is the quartz movement to have.Why? 4 stepper motors.The hour hand can be moved independatly.what does that mean? no quickset date.When the battery gets low, functions stop working because they are driven by motors.So sometimes expensive quartz modules are more of a selling gimmick than actually being practical.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I have shifted toward mostly autos. I have a number of quartz watches but if Iam going to buy a watch with an inexpensive movement as an ISA or G10 then Iam not going to pay a lot of money for it no matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I had an owner of another watch site quiz me (more like berate me) on my stance on the "G10.211 issue". After explaining my understanding of quartz engines, I had to agree with the single point that he kept trying to shove down my throat . . . (arguably besides the obvious benefit on the stepper motor pivot) no quartz watch needs jewels.
Hell, no watch movement . . . PERIOD . . . NEEDS jewels.:wf

Yet, Jeweled movements exist.

[I have serviced hundreds of vintage manual wind and auto Timex watches and they are "0" Jewels. Some of them ran as accurately as my Swiss auto movements. However, I would much prefer a finely finished, gilt, 25-Jewel ETA 2824-2 than the Timex movement.] :)

For me, it's not an issue of jewels. It's an issue of quality (or perceived quality). The G10 is accurate and reliable (as are many other movements that I don't buy -- OS10 for example) . . . as are other movements made by ETA. Even ETA felt the need to redesign the G10 to be a repairable movement (what's that all about). If the G10.211 is shown to be more accurate and precise than it's higher-jeweled cousins, then I'll consider buying one. :)

As with many other elements of a watch, movement choice can be just as important as the dial color, case material, crystal content, etc. A blue dial isn't any better than a black dial unless the buyer wants a blue dial. No amount of technical expertise will dissuade the buyer from their blue dial watch (even if I could "prove" the benefits of the black dial).

Since I'm not a watchmaker, I cannot attest to the performance differences between a 4-Jewel or a 22-Jewel quartz movement in terms of how precise one is over the other or how long the movement will last. As with most others, I must relying on research, feedback from other watch collectors, and ultimately, my own judgment.

Honestly . . .

I wonder how many folks will ever see the movement in their quartz watch become defective? How "real" is the issue for most of us?

I think I'll stick with autos! :c

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Rick - from what I can tell from reading around the net is that the decision to make G10 reparable was simple economics. Replace the entire movement versus replace the broken parts. One was cheaper for everyone involved all the way down the production to retail chain.

I really believe that over the past 10-20 years we have seen the actual watch making process modernize in some respects which changes the actual cost to produce the parts. Obviously with technology advances and better machines, tooks, computers, etc, things get easier to make. I am not sure if the actual retail pricing has evenly adjusted to this modernization, but that is neither here nor there in this discussion.

I always wondered the point of the jewels and I guess there is literally no point in all to them, other then decoration.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Rick - from what I can tell from reading around the net is that the decision to make G10 reparable was simple economics. Replace the entire movement versus replace the broken parts. One was cheaper for everyone involved all the way down the production to retail chain.

I really believe that over the past 10-20 years we have seen the actual watch making process modernize in some respects which changes the actual cost to produce the parts. Obviously with technology advances and better machines, tooks, computers, etc, things get easier to make. I am not sure if the actual retail pricing has evenly adjusted to this modernization, but that is neither here nor there in this discussion.

I always wondered the point of the jewels and I guess there is literally no point in all to them, other then decoration.
Thanks for the feedback on the G10 redesign.

Jewels on a mechanical watch are important to reduce friction and for better precision due to the many moving parts. The quartz engine will have much less moving parts in which friction could negatively affect it's timekeeping. In many cases, jewels are used when they aren't necessary and arguably are just decoration.

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on the G10 redesign.
I just read that online in a few different places. I can not confirm what I posted above and maybe others will confirm about the repair costs versus complete replacement.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

To be fair (knowing the thread is about quartz watches/movements). . . many of the article that I have read, and confirmed with conversations with a variety of "watch" people, the Valjoux 7750, was designed and built as a "workhorse" chronograph, as is the G10.211 (just a generation apart).

However, the reputation of each has developed differently (to be honest).

I wonder why?

Is it people like me who develop a negative opinion about one and a positive about the other and just stick to it?

Or has there been development on one over the other to modernize (upgrade) it at an earlier point in time?

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.