Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I first started buying watches on a regular basis, at times I would get caught up in every deal that hit the screen. It MIGHT be a watch that I would wear, but the allure of the deal overrode, whether or not I truly liked the watch.
After gaining more knowledge over the past 22 months, I have disciplined my self to pass on "the deal" and purchase the watch only if I truly love it. The collection has gotten to the point where it has gotten really difficult to part with any of them. I would really have to look closely at the deal and make sure it is something special.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

I buy only what I like. Don't care what others may say about the watch. I started in May of this year and now have around 60 watches. Started small with my Pro Diver 40mm auto, blue dial. I love blue. Then it went to 40mm auto black dial. Then to a SWI commander and has gotten bigger after that. I wear all my watches. I try to wear a watch for a week and then on to something else. I try to give every watch a chance to be worn and seen. Some weeks I will wear a different watch every day. I didn't know alot about watches when I started, but starting to get some knowledge about movements and other terminology about watches. That is how I got strated. I don't think it will ever be the same.:):):):):):)

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

For me I am still quick to get excited about "the deal", but with the help and intervention of friends (like Don) I have held back and not gone crazy.

What I am doing today is working on "a list". A realistic list of watches I can actually get, are in my budget (now or soon) - and will search for good deals on and SAVE up for, instead of just buying anything/everything.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Holy crap Mike...you're in a frenzy my man! You're at 60 already?!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Same here James. I still get excited about "the deal", but now I take a step back make sure it's a watch that will get some wrist time. If it's something that's been on my hit list for awhile and the price is finally right, I grab it.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

i used to always go for the deal. whether on shop, ebay, tjmaxx, etc. i got caught up into the frenzy and that i needed a bunch of watches........i admit, i bought watches in the past, that i did not love, but because it was a good deal.

i havent done that in a long time. now, when i go to spend my money on a watch, i have to be in love with it. of course i still look for a deal on that certain watch, who wants to overpay, but i make sure its something that i really want and will wear alot.

some of the deals to be had, like some of the $70 watches they have these days, really are good deals for what your getting, just not what i buy anymore.

id rather have a hamilton or a chase durer, and only have 1, then to have 6 invictas or crotons that i picked up for 70 bucks........

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Holy crap Mike...you're in a frenzy my man! You're at 60 already?!
Like I said, I get what I like. Started with alot of autos and now starting to get more quartz.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I buy so few watches in a year that I don't get caught up the "the deal" anymore. I only buy what I love and I hopefully get it for a good deal too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
imported post

I would have to say it's a combination of those 2 factors sometimes. There are times when I see a watch and I really want it and my budget is in tune with it then I will buy it. On the other hand sometimes there's a watch at a ridiculous low priceI can't help but get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
imported post

I try to be more selective than I used to be. Always looking for watches that are different from the run of the mill. Of course it's hard to walk away from all the deals out there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
imported post

some times both,mostly i buy b/c i like the watch,but sometimes,like in an adee kaye i just got from jtv for $29 and its a nice pilot chrono on a bracelet.you just cant pass it up!!jmo

·
Registered
530 Posts
imported post

It is very easy to get caught up on deals. But I have found over the years, I just buy watches that are singing to me. I enjoy shopping around for the best deal.:)

Jeff

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Dude -I've seen your collection (most of it i think)

you need to plug your ears!!! LOL

J/K Bro!!

Stratos27 wrote:
It is very easy to get caught up on deals. But I have found over the years, I just buy watches that are singing to me. I enjoy shopping around for the best deal.:)

Jeff

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Stratos27 wrote:

Jeff
Same here; every "deal" watch I ever bought is gone now. lesson learned. Now I just wait for the things I like.
I also had a list but it was pretty much filled a little while back. The only thing I am really waiting for now is the new NFW.

CJ

·
Registered
294 Posts
imported post

I buy what I like... and right now it's nothing under 46-47mm usually it's 50+ .. just like the bigger watches. So that's what I look for when buying ,size ,color ,style & movment.. and if it is singing to me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

I think my wife and I really bought some watches early on because the deal seemed very good. We were just lucky that we really liked the watches for the most part.

Now we really just make sure we love it first and if not we dont buy it, no matter how good the deal is.

Of course the best thing is to see one you love and then discover it is on sale :)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

My wife limits me on purchases so I can't as much as I would like to, which is probably a good thing or else I would be impulse buying things i really woul;dn't have liked. So it does have to sing to meand getting it on a good deal makes it just that much more better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts