Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recent threads about swiss made on the dial got me thinking, forget about how they may or may not play loosely with the term swiss made on the dial, that is a marketing or sales tactic used by many, many companies, whether to say , swiss made, swiss movt.....etc.......

how many of us really care where the watch is made........Forget about any companies tactics to say where it was made or put a spin on it, the bottom line is, do you care?

my point is this.........does being swiss made automatically make the watch better ? These days, we have seen many companies produce some awesome timepieces, and it they have nothing to do with switzerland......

yes, obviously, the swiss were the firsts and are highly regarded as being the best watchmakers, but does that mean you cant have a good quality watch from elsewhere? Look at the german made watches, and their are many, from Sinn, to Glashutte, to Lacher(pronounced locker) watches..........what about the asian made watches, .......NFW's are asianmade, andwe have all had miyota movements, and bottom line, their movements have proved to be very dependable, accurate workhorses, andGeorge at NFW doesnt stop until the watch meets his specs and is a quality product, and i think anyonewho owns one can attestthat his watches are quality.......What aboutSeiko and Citizen? Seikos have been around a long , long time and theydontjust producewatches that you see inthe dept stores , but they have watches and movements that coststhousands of dollars and are highly regarded as having some of the most amazing movements out there ...........RGM Watches are made in America.......

So, does it matter what the watch is branded, or where it was made? We all know what to look for in quality........we all know what quality products look like, so if you were to look at at a watch, that had everything you liked in a watch, was quality made through and through, had amazing fit and finish, lets say it was an auto, had a decorated rotor, had texturizing to the dial, had an amazing design, quality bracelet or leather strap, etc.......but no where on the watch did it say where it was made, if it exuded nothing but quality ......would you care where it was made? Or is it the prestige and history behind the watch that helps you in your purchase? Most of us all buy watches because of how they look to a certain point, so if you found a watch that looked good, had amazing fit and finish and had a movement that kept great time .......would it matter where it was made?

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Never been a problem either way for me, But I will say that 95% of all my stuff has that on the dial. Personally If a watch fits my criteria then I dont care if it was assembled in Mexico......Never mind that statement I have done work there, but you get my point.

Here is my problem, I have yet to find a watch that I really dig from Germany,Russia or Japan. But there are some cool stuff coming out of China and or the far east.

The truth being told I am not a movement snob, I am not a location snob, I am just an good ole Us A$$hole that buys what he likes!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I think it's a terrific question and funadamentaly I don't think I really care. But, the "Swiss" moniker does tend to impress quality on me (whether that be true or not these days). That being said, I can justify spending a little more when there is "quality" attached to it. But as we are finding out.......all of this is debateable.

CJ

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

No, being "Swiss Made" does not make the watch better in actuality, but only in perception.

Both Miyota and Seiko have beat Swiss manufactures in Swiss award competitions and received honors for doing such, and believe it of not, China is becoming a contended in these awards.

Then you have German, Italian, Dutch, European, Canadian, and even American manufactures producing high quality.

In my opinion "Swiss Made" is a perception we have been taught to believe means "The Best" which in today's Global community of manufactures, it really is no longer so.

I like the fact that I can boast to friends and family "Look, Swiss Made!" but in reality, being a watch consurer and consumer, I know it doesn't mean as much as it did say in the 1950s when only the Swiss were making the very best.

"Reality is nothing more than what we perceive it to be.", Prof. Oblivion, Videodrome.

This statement is more true than the writers of that movie probably ever considered it to be when they wrote the script.

It is our perception of what "Swiss Made" means more than what it actually does mean that matters to us most.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

bottom line the movement is the heart of the watch. learning about top movement is the hard part.at least for a new collector

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Ever think that maybe the Swiss still produce great products and still are the leader, but the rest of the world has just caught up with them?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

All the watches that I own are in great working order and are in perfect physical condition. As long as that's the case, I wouldn't give a damn if they were made in my backyard.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I am going to agree with a bunch of people.
first, I agree with tuna that I just don't care.
next I agree with ron that the swiss were the standard/original and the rest of the world has caught up.
and finally I also completely agree with tera.

good posts guys. you all make points I agree with to be honest and you all said it as well as I would have.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
I have always preferred Swiss Made watches and will continue to prefer them.
Yes, and there will always be a apprehension about "China Movement" in my mind, even though I full know that some of them can be as good as "Swiss Made".

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I care.

I think that while there is a degree of "Emperor's new clothes" in play here, there is a certain panache or cachet with a Swiss Made piece with an Automatic or Mechanical movement.

That isn't to say anything about brands that are made elsewhere. Sinn, especially, is a brand I intend to own someday, which has a lot of that same exclusivity and quality.

Let's use the example of cars: I think people perceive German cars to be among the best luxury/sport sedans and Italy to have the finest sports cars. Does this make a Cadillac or a Corvette or a Lexus a bad car? No, but people will pay more for an AMG Benz or a Ferrari.

I really like the fact that today I wore watches with the same "engines" that exotic watches like Panerai and Breitling have used (7750 and 6497) and the fact that they say "Swiss Made" on the dial. Probably not a big deal to most people, but the mechanical complexity and history that these movements have, coupled with the fact that they are Swiss, with that country's watch-making history and perception of value, makes it fun for me.

I have watches with Miyotas that are just as complex and possibly as accurate, but the Swiss pieces are worth more to me.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Hasn't mattered to me so far. While the majority of my watches are "Swiss Made" if a watch appeals to me that isn't I will buy it. Case in point.....my Deep Blue Sea Diver is not "Swiss Made" love the watch and I believe it looks, feels and performs just as well as anything that I own that is supposedly "Swiss Made".

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

Don't care either way. As long as the watch works and I like it. That's all that matters with me. Swiss made is a plus but not super important.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

The only thing that I care about is that the watch company is being HONEST about the sourcing of their materials and who/where the watch is made. There is often too muchgrey area and half truths.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

For me it does matter. I am partial to Swiss, German and Italian made brands. I dont like the idea of the Asian made stuff as to me it is nothing but a way to cut corners to make a product cheaper. I am willing to pay for the brand name, and pedigree as dumb as some may find that....

Before you say it, Im not saying that brands like Seiko arent good, as they are very good....Its all of those "other" factories churning out inferior stuff that I take issue with. Crap. turn on JTV or SNBC and there plenty of those pieces floating around....They are just not for me....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I do care....I prefer Swiss, Now German and of course Italian. I just cant bring myself to buy a Chinese made movement or a Japanese movement...Just my feelings and not saying anything is wrong with them but that's my choice.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I'm partial to Swiss Made timepieces however I will buy watches that don't conform to the Swiss Made requirements. I think Japan makes some fantastic watches ie. Citizen, Seiko etc. I don't own any that are Chinese made other then various parts, cases, etc. I would like to get some Russian made and German made timepieces in my collection. Italy also makes some fantastic watches.

·
Registered
120 Posts
imported post

As long as I like the watch and I am comfortable with the cost I really am not concerned with any other thing that can be associated with its country of origin.

Steve

1 - 20 of 29 Posts