Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community -

I am in search of a mil-sub style diver's watch (homage of the Rolex Submariner), that is preferably swiss made, automatic swiss movement, and has sweeping second hands (not hacking). Can anyone make recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Hello community -

I am in search of a mil-sub style diver's watch (homage of the Rolex Submariner), that is preferably swiss made, automatic swiss movement, and has sweeping second hands (not hacking). Can anyone make recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
You want a non-hacking movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm also wondering why non hacking

I think he needs an automatic that sweeps as in Rolex or that upper range
Bulova Precision but that's a different breed

·
Registered
952 Posts
We are (at least I am) confused by your commend sweep hand(non hacking).

Sweep hand refers to the continuous motion of the second hand as opposed to the Quartz motion which moves once per second (and makes the tick, tick, tick) sound.

Hacking refers to the feature that the second hand stop when you pull the crown out. This allows you to easily synchronize to the second your watch to the atomic clock or other watches etc. there are several movements that don't hack, the most common (that I'm aware of) is the miyota 8215. It's a fine movement but the second hand never stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why non hacking? Because I like the prestige of the sweeping second hands (Lime my Super Ocean 44 does). I am on the fence about the Rolex sub and here is why:

1.). It is expensive
2.). I would only want the ceramic bezel version
3.). I really love the look of the sub, but I wish it was a bit larger in mm. I think 42 to 44mm is perfect.
4.). If I could find a Swiss watch that looked similar, made with really good quality materials, a bit larger, and had sweeping seconds, then I would consider that.
5.). I like the Tudor Pelagos, but I am not a fan of Ti or rubber straps (unless it's my everyday watch).
6.). Ideally I want something prestigious, but that's not a deal breaker. I have been looking at Steinhart and Orange watch.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Why non hacking? Because I like the prestige of the sweeping second hands (Lime my Super Ocean 44 does). I am on the fence about the Rolex sub and here is why:

1.). It is expensive
2.). I would only want the ceramic bezel version
3.). I really love the look of the sub, but I wish it was a bit larger in mm. I think 42 to 44mm is perfect.
4.). If I could find a Swiss watch that looked similar, made with really good quality materials, a bit larger, and had sweeping seconds, then I would consider that.
5.). I like the Tudor Pelagos, but I am not a fan of Ti or rubber straps (unless it's my everyday watch).
6.). Ideally I want something prestigious, but that's not a deal breaker. I have been looking at Steinhart and Orange watch.

Non hacking is usually in lesser quality movements. Do you know what the term means?

The submariner only comes with a ceramic bezel, unless you are looking used. It wears bigger than the specs suggest due to the wide lugs. You could always look at preowned DSSD's of you like larger Sub style divers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly I may not know what the term means. I am new to the watch collecting world. I was under the impression that hacking was when the second d hand stops at every second marker, and sweeping g was a fluid sweeping movement. Isn't Rolex sweeping? So I am confused how that would be considered lesser quality? Or Am I misinformed? I could be.... I only got the watch collecting bug a few months ago...

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Honestly I may not know what the term means. I am new to the watch collecting world. I was under the impression that hacking was when the second d hand stops at every second marker, and sweeping g was a fluid sweeping movement. Isn't Rolex sweeping? So I am confused how that would be considered lesser quality? Or Am I misinformed? I could be.... I only got the watch collecting bug a few months ago...

Read above posts. Hacking is when the second hand stops when you pull the crown, it allows you to sync and set exact time. All good quality automatic movements do this.

What you are talking about (stops at every second marker) (ticking) is Quartz.

If you want a nice Rolex homage, Steinhart, OWC and Squale are good options.

If you want something that is less of a direct homage but still the look and quality you are wanting, check out the 42mm
Christopher Ward Trident. It comes in 3 hand, GMT and a COSC version.

http://www.christopherward.com/mobile/watches/dive/c60-42-auto-skks.html

·
Registered
618 Posts
Same advice as always for threads of this type: Check out the WRUW thread, find a watch you like the look of, then investigate more.

Question is way too broad to get useful answers otherwise.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Sounds like a Steinhart Ocean One checks almost all the boxes you are looking for,

It's a Sub Homage, Check

It's inexpensive, Check

It's 42mm, Check

It has Swiss movement, Check

It can be had with ceramic bezel, Check

It's prestigious,........No Check!

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck Sub homage, with sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and good movement, take a look at the Tisell Sub for $195.

Reactions: Reflex and Roarry
1 - 18 of 18 Posts