Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of good diver's watches but I have never used them in the water, ocean, or fresh. My question is, I can see a good stainless steel band or a rubber band holding up in salt water but how about a nylon strap such as one I'm getting with a Seido SBN331? I know that no matter the type of band, it's always best to wash off with fresh water. Will nylon stand up as well?

·
Super Moderator
4,790 Posts
Yes it will.

Watchstraps or bracelets for diving watches are generally made of materials that are adequately water (pressure) resistant and able to endure the galvanic corrosiveness of seawater.

One piece (NATO style) nylon fabric straps that slide under the watch case through both spring bars (or attaching points between the watch case and strap) are often used to minimize the chance of losing the watch due to a spring bar or attachment point failure.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Nylon is fine. You do want to give your straps, and the whole watch for that matter, a good rinse after being exposed to salt water. Rinse off the salt water to prevent possible corrosion, and also to keep it from causing abrasion on the strap and case. Salt is rough stuff, and if left alone can chew up almost any material given enough time.

Same goes for bracelets and rubber. Watch it off with clean or soapy water after salt water exposure.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. My son consistently finds watches at the beach or in the water near the shore in Kauai. All have been there for some time as indicated by the corrosion. One auto Seiko Scuba Diver's watch he found shows it's been battered by the ocean's actions, but after getting a tune up runs just fine. Can I also assume that no diver watch would have a leather strap?
btw, he found a men's Cartier in the water but it was toast. Obviously not a diver's watch so it must have come off someone's wrist.

·
Registered
253 Posts
btw, he found a men's Cartier in the water but it was toast. Obviously not a diver's watch so it must have come off someone's wrist.
Should have been on a nato. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this description for a very expensive watch. ($24K)
"Marine Diver Chronograph 41mm - Rose Gold - Leather Strap"

I can't believe anyone would go in the ocean with a leather strap.

EL

·
Registered
9 Posts
My guess is you're right. He doesn't intend to take that $24k watch in the ocean. I would be inclined to say that most people buying diver watches buy them for looks anyway. That said, leather suits them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i think so!leather strap is not suitable for diving! the leather strap would rot easi

EL
i think so!leather strap is not suitable for diving! the leather strap would rot easily after touching the water often.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I would like to point out that nylon actually will hold much better than rubber on the long term. If, hypothetically, you were to keep 2 watches in salt water (one nylon one rubber) for a few years continuously, you will definitely find the nylon strap still attached to the watch while the rubber one, perhaps not.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,885 Posts
I would like to point out that nylon actually will hold much better than rubber on the long term. If, hypothetically, you were to keep 2 watches in salt water (one nylon one rubber) for a few years continuously, you will definitely find the nylon strap still attached to the watch while the rubber one, perhaps not.

Dittos, what type of rope is used on small ocean going craft, Nylon of course!

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts

EL
The owner of Aegir is a commercial/bell diver. He wore his Panerai on a leather strap all of the time while diving in salt water. He says that it was fine. He just rinsed it off with fresh water when he came up after his dives.

·
Banned
90 Posts
The owner of Aegir is a commercial/bell diver. He wore his Panerai on a leather strap all of the time while diving in salt water. He says that it was fine. He just rinsed it off with fresh water when he came up after his dives.
True, cleaning it just as you get out of the water is recommended, but on long term nylon will hold out much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts