Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Just starting out increasing the number of watches I have. I don't claim to be a collector of any knowledge. My watches consists of gifts mostly and ones I bought because I like the way they look. I have gathered enough watches now that I was looking to make a case to store them in and then I found this wooden box for free. That was a good start. Ordered watch pillows and felt from Amazon. Picked up 1/4 inch X 4 inch poplar board from the hardware store. I lined the box with felt. Covered the poplar in felt after ripping and cutting them to length as needed. Arranged pillows and then placed dividers where I wanted them. Nothing is glued in so I can make changes if necessary. I made a few mistakes (felt doesn't quite meet in the corners/edges) but they are not seen once the watches/pillows are in. My next step is to cut out part of the lid to make a "window" so light can reach my Citizen Eco Drive watches. I have also been looking at a LED strip light that will fit at the very back of the lid. I will edit this post if I do it. See post #6 for the LED installation pics.

Anyway here is my handiwork for what is worth. At some point I would like to build a box from scratch. Sorry some pics are sideways. They aren't that way on my computer. Not sure how to fix

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Your only mistake is that you made it too small. :lol: ;) If you're hanging around here, you're gonna need two or three of those in no time. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great repurposing of the wooden box BUT just be careful about the other side of the lids handle poking through into the inside of the box, it could end up damaging any watch that ends up underneath it...

·
Super Moderator
9,882 Posts
That is just the best SlowTime, and it's amazing how professional
a job you did ! :smile-thumb2: It honestly looks like it could have
been ordered for a pretty penny from someone online. :eek:

However, with your masterful creation, you get what looks like
a very heavy, and high quality wood. Not to mention what looks
like some vintage charm, and history also. :)

Adding in the extra wood, pillows, window, and maybe even
lights makes it that much more special, and unique too.

Yowza, thanks very much for the look ! Extraordinary job !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update

Thanks for all the compliments.
@Accutronitis....Good point. Luckily for me the size of the box and pillows forced me to have a narrow space in the front. The bolt holding the handle on is right above this area so the watches are safe. I have put my extra band, band removal tool, sun glasses and reading glasses there.

I ordered the following light from Amazon and am pleased with it. Very thin and was the correct length for the box.

Ultra Thin Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting 30cm/12in Nature White 450LM CRI90 with All Accessories Under Counter Lights Kit.

I cut a couple of triangles out of scrap wood and attached them to the box with double sided tape. Then I attached the light to the wood with more double sided tape. I am pleased with the outcome. You can't see the wood unless you get down low and look up into the light. In one of the pictures you can see the edge of the wood. If it bothers me I will put a piece of felt over it. The light itself is black so it blends in pretty well with the background. Clearly visible but I don't think it detracts from the watches. As I was working I noticed the lid was not very tight to the body of the box. I drilled a hole right on the top edge of the box which created an open channel. I pried the lid up and fed the cord into the box through the channel. Then I gently hammered the lid closed which captured the cord in the channel so it should not come unplugged if the box is jostled. After I hammered in back you can't see the rough edges of the channel so I didn't bother cleaning it up.

Next step is a window so I can see the watches with the lid closed. Hopefully it will help keep out the fitzzles that show up on the black felt. After that I need to glue the dividers in so they remain in place and stay in straight lines.

And then onto a bigger box and more watches! As suggested by @forzaferrari.

Thanks for looking. If anyone knows why some pics are not in the same orientation as I see them on my computer please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Enjoy the long weekend

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts