Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am sure many of you know from time to time we offer an American made knife under our Minuteman brand. Currently we are working with custom knifemaker Dirk Pinkerton.

Dirk just sent these renders. I am posting them to see what you folks think. Nothing is really set in stone at the point in terms spec's, design, etc.

I have asked about relocating the pocket clip and am waiting to hear back on that. We may also offer a fixed blade similar in design.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another pocket clip design for our potential Minuteman knife which would give one the choice of tip up or tip down carry.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Cool looking framelock. I am a tip-up carry guy (I blame my Emerson's).
What are you using for the scale side, G-10?
What about the frame lock itself, will that be steel or Ti?

I also like the second clip rendering better than the first deep carry option. Deep carry clips always sound nice, but I haven't found one yet that I have mangled in the process of wearing.

Dirk is an artist, and I love his fixed blade work. Look forward to seeing the photo for this one.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pfs-27 for the steel, black and tan G-10 for the handle material with directional grooving. Most likely stonewash finish on the blade. The sizing has not been nailed down yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't know anything about knives but that looks totally badass.

One question... the blade tip looks really pointy. Wouldn't that be fragile?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I don't know anything about knives but that looks totally badass.

One question... the blade tip looks really pointy. Wouldn't that be fragile?
From the renders, it still has a substantial amount of metal behind it. I think it should be fine unless someone breaks the number one rule of knives (don't use them for anything but cutting!)

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
pfs-27 for the steel, black and tan G-10 for the handle material with directional grooving. Most likely stonewash finish on the blade. The sizing has not been nailed down yet.

It's a frame lock correct? The lock side has to be either steel or titanium, I'm hoping titanium with a steel lock bar insert.
What size are you thinking? 3 or 3 1/2 inch blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I would like to see a more substantial clip as well. It looks like an afterthought. Either a solid milled titanium clip or a nice titanium spring clip, that has some chunkiness to it, like a hinderer or strider clip

·
Registered
375 Posts
The pockets with placement looks OK to me. Did you say this is a liner lock? I'm not familiar with that particular steel. Can you give me a reference? Is it a carbon steel, a stainless, maybe close to D2 or a two? Or s30
Lastly what type of grind is it. Oh and how much are they

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some more info.

I had actually asked for a 2.75" blade. Mr. Pinkerton just sent me this.

"I believe it is at it;s best in the 2.75" to 3.5" range. My feedback has been that 2.95" is a good length. It gives the feel of a medium size blade while steel falling under the magic 3" length that seems to be the legal length standard in many areas. There doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in anything between 2.95" and 3.5". So, I suggest one of those two lengths."

Given that what blade length would you all most like to see this in?

In addition we are locking at going with a Hinderer Disc and the lock face insert. Also to keep price down by going with an off the shelf pocket clip I believe we will go with tip up carry only.

Price wise this will be higher than past knives we offered as we are not partnering with larger knife manufacturer. This will be an exclusive design for us meaning low volume and it will be built by a custom maker and as such be more of a handmade knife rather than a production knife. So my guess is we will make far fewer than in the past. Though we may offer this for a longer period of time than in the past as well.

We are also planning a fixed blade which will of course be lower in price.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Sub 3" would be nice. That would keep it withing legal limits in a lot of places.
I'm with Don on a more substantial clip. I've had plenty of decent knives in the past that were completely ruined for me by cheap clips that broke or deformed not long after purchase. A Hinderer style clip would look great with that design, and would be pretty solid.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sub 3" would be nice. That would keep it withing legal limits in a lot of places.
I'm with Don on a more substantial clip. I've had plenty of decent knives in the past that were completely ruined for me by cheap clips that broke or deformed not long after purchase. A Hinderer style clip would look great with that design, and would be pretty solid.
I have asked about a Hinderer style clip. =)

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I have asked about a Hinderer style clip. =)

Cool!

Do you have an idea at what the price is going to be on these (rough estimate, over/under)? I need another knife like I need another hole in my head, but that hasn't stopped me before :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool!

Do you have an idea at what the price is going to be on these (rough estimate, over/under)? I need another knife like I need another hole in my head, but that hasn't stopped me before :)
Well I asked Dirk where he would price if it were something he was offering to his customers. Dirk told me he would price it at $450.

I don't have our final costing in as of yet due to the fact we are pricing 2 or 3 different upgrades right now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Hinderer pocket clip would cost is $45 per knife. I just can not see spending that to get those clips.

We are also looking at a fixed blade knife. As a package the price for both would be about $575 the way it looks.

We also are planning to offer those on an individual basis. We may also switch to just offering either a folder or a fixed blade.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are thinking of offering a fixed blade version as well plus a discount if you buy both. Here is what the fixed blade is looking like right now.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is bit of an update. It looks like we can do a custom pocket clip for this rather than use a generic off the shelf design. As we have had folks pointing out the Hinderer style pocket clip. We are planning on doing one that is based on that but specific to our folder.

With the way pricing is looking I am guessing the fixed blade will be more popular for us.

We are of course going to pre sell these but we are also looking at the feasibility of building in batches of say 6. Rather than waiting till we sell more to build them so people will get them faster. I am also pretty sure based on the way pricing is coming in we will sell either less of these than past offerings or they will sell at a much slower rate than we've seen with past knives.

I am hoping to get some renders of pocket clip designs to post for feedback.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for an update. We ordered a prototype. At this point we are planning on just a folder and here is how the design is looking.

The prototype will have a black blade and bronze anodized handle. We had also considered blue and purple for the anodized handle. After researching this with some large dealers. We came to the conclusion that the bronze color is far out selling all other colors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts