Watch Freeks banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WATCH REVIEW
WATCH – Direnzo DRZ03 Eclipse

Good morning, ladies and gentleman, and those don’t class themselves as either.

I watched some reviews on the Direnzo DRZ 3 and a few of them were not that great. Most of the reviewers had the prototype, and it was evident a few issues needed ironing out, and believe me, most of them have, but not all. Direnzo are a Swiss micro brand, and their watches are also designed and manufactured in Switzerland.

A short while ago I decided to sell my Christopher Ward C65 vintage diver, but wanted a replacement before I let it go. I had an email with a link to this watch from a massive fan of the channel, Jonny for Northern Ireland, and decided it was the watch I wanted. The C65 is now on the way to Russia to be with its new owner.

So, welcome to my unprofessional, unpaid and unsponsored review of the Direnzo DRZ 03 Eclipse.

DIMENSIONS –
40 mm case, lug width 20mm, lug to lug 48mm, depth 12.5mm, and once the bracelet is sized to fit my 17cm wrist, it weighs 152 grams.

PRESENTATION –
It arrived in a nice quality box, and a very nice quality watch roll. Inside were the spare straps and two-year warranty card. The presentation is befitting of the watch.

MOVEMENT & CROWN –
In the heart of this watch beats an Elabore grade of the Sellita SW200 with Incabloc protection. It is one of my favourite movements, and is a Swiss made clone of the ETA2824. The only difference being, it has one additional jewel, and some say it takes better to hand winding than the ETA. It is a 4hz movement that chugs away at 28,800 bph, hacks, hand winds, and is known for its reliability. In my experience these are extremely accurate, and have very little positional variance. I shall show you this on the timegrapher, but can tell you after three days use it only gained 1 second.

I measured the crown at 6.7mm. It is signed, and beautifully knurled. It operates the watch without issue, and whilst engagement isn’t the best I have felt, it’s still excellent.

CASE, CRYSTAL & FINISH –

It has a domed sapphire crystal with AR coating.

The case is beautifully finished. It is horizontally brushed, and the only polishing is on the transition between the sides and the top. It is amongst the finest brushing I have ever seen. I would have liked the case to be a little more curved, but I appreciate this is in the style of a vintage diver, and vintage dive watches were always a little flat. The fact this has a relatively short lug-to-lug means this isn’t really an issue. The case back is of course a screw down design. Engraved on the back is the company logo and some details about the watch. This is all very well done, although it is a little domed, making the option of a nato strap unviable. That said, I believe the convex case back allows the manufacturer to reduce the depth of the case, which can only be a good thing. It doesn’t have drilled lugs, but there are small cut outs, which prevent the lugs getting scratched during strap changes. I have never seen this before, and am quite impressed.

DIAL, LUME & HANDSET
Let’s get the lume out the way first. On this particular colour way Direnzo have used BGW9, whilst this depends on what colour dial you go for. To be honest, it isn’t the watch’s strong point. Whilst the bezel is also lumed, the only part of the watch that stays illuminated for any length of time are the hands.

I believe the watch is named the “Eclypse” for two reasons. The obvious one being the transition from the outer to inner ring, mimicking the sun behind the moon, and the second one being as the second-hand blocks off the colour matched round date window at 6.00. The watch also comes with a grey and red dial when available. The outer part of the dial is a sunburst fume ocean blue, whilst the inner part is a very dark mat blue. The indices are a bright white, and quite bold, making the watch easy to read at a glance. The arrow hands are also bright white, and suit the dial perfectly. If I were to design a MK2, I would change the round 3,6,9 indices to the straight markers, as I believe this would give the dial a sleeker look. I suppose that is just a personal preference though. Strangely enough, I believe the dial actually looks nicer in subdued light, than it does is in direct sunlight. I do believe the transition between the outer sunburst ring and inner ring to be a little sudden, and this may take some getting used to.

BRACELET/STRAP & CLASP –
I bought this watch from another collector, and it arrived with no less than four strap options. I am not sure if that is the norm, but I am pretty certain you get at least three. After much deliberation, I decided to put it on the bracelet. It is a well made oyster bracelet that is finely brushed. It has solid end links as expected, along with screw pins for adjustment. It fits perfectly to the case and is very comfortable. It has quick release pins, which makes installation and removal sooo easy. I think an H-link bracelet may have suited the watch more, as it would give the watch a more ornate feel. The clasp on this isn’t the original, as there was an issue, but I will get to that later. This clasp is fully milled, and has three micro adjusts. In all fairness, I prefer it to the original.

The other straps were a well made Tropic, a nato, and a leather strap I didn’t like at all.

BEZEL –
This is where I get all excited and start dribbling from the sides of my mouth. This watch has the finest bezel action I have ever experienced. Not only is the resistance perfect, it is easy to grip, has no back play, no bounce, and protrudes slightly outside the width of the case. Really, it’s absolutely perfect. It has a sapphire insert, which is always a treat, and as mentioned, it is lumed. As a bonus, it all lines up perfectly. All that said, if the bezel were a little deeper, it may have made the watch wear a little smaller.

WATER RESISTANCE
It has a 200m water resist rating, but I don’t believe it is ISO rated. Whilst I would trust this watch implicitly, I’m not taking it anywhere it may get scratched, so I don’t expect to see me wearing by the pool or on the beach.

PRICE &VALUE FOR MONEY –

Direnzo initially released these at a cost of $499 with intention of increasing the price to $699. At present they are out of stock of all colour options. I would expect there to be another run at some point, but that’s just a guess. Whatever you pay, if you’re not buying from a seller in the UK, don’t forget you will be paying about another 25% to get it to your door, after the tax man has had his share. I was lucky enough pick up a used one up in mint condition for just over £400, which I consider a bargain. In my opinion, you won’t get a better made Swiss diver for anything around this price.

QC issues, things I would change, and likes

As far as QC issues are concerned, the watch arrived with a faulty clasp. The latch wouldn’t lay flat with the clasp. To be fair, it was sealed, and I would presume Direnzo don’t even get to see the bracelet outside its wrapping. I contacted Direnzo, and had a very quick response. They didn’t have exactly the same clasp, but posted me a choice of two within 24 hours. A week later it had arrived and was replaced by myself.

Firstly, what would I change. OK, the lume could be improved, and I have a feeling Direnzo may do something about this in the future. Due to the dial design and narrow bezel, the watch does wear a little more like a 41mm, so that is something you may want to take into account if you have a particularly small wrist. As mentioned, I would also do something about those large round indices, but appreciate that’s just personal taste. Finally, I think a more ornate bracelet would suit the watch more than the oyster that came with it.

Just about everything else is close to perfection. The case finishing is superb, the movement is as good as you can possibly hope for at this price, and the bezel is the finest I have ever used.

Some watches I bond with the moment I open the box, some I never bond with at all, and some I bond with after time. This one is growing on me. As mentioned earlier, I find the transition between the outer and inner ring a tad sudden, and the watch does wear a little large for my liking. If I can learn to live with these two things, we may have a long and happy relationship.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Rectangle
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Finger

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Yes, I’m thinking this one will really grow on you sir. ;)
Can’t thank you enough for the rocking review !!!

It’s a watch that doesn’t look like every other watch out
there. And really, it looks like some secret vintage diver
that one of the big classic brands had been working on
years back. But that you discovered in some cool hidden
vault. However, at the same time there is a really terrific
modern flare about it. Thanks to both the colors, as well
as overall refinement, and finishing. ;)o_O

Hey, and really the clasp, along with lume aren’t huge
problems. In fact they are tiny sir. ..This watch is a real
stunner imho whether on this beautiful bracelet, or any
ONE of those extra straps. A HUMONGOUS congrats
here Wiggles, and thanks again !

·
Watch Freek
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I’m thinking this one will really grow on you sir. ;)
Can’t thank you enough for the rocking review !!!

It’s a watch that doesn’t look like every other watch out
there. And really, it looks like some secret vintage diver
that one of the big classic brands had been working on
years back. But that you discovered in some cool hidden
vault. However, at the same time there is a really terrific
modern flare about it. Thanks to both the colors, as well
as overall refinement, and finishing. ;)o_O

Hey, and really the clasp, along with lume aren’t huge
problems. In fact they are tiny sir. ..This watch is a real
stunner imho whether on this beautiful bracelet, or any
ONE of those extra straps. A HUMONGOUS congrats
here Wiggles, and thanks again !
As it turned out, the owner of the brand left a comment of the review, and has subscribed to my channel.

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
As it turned out, the owner of the brand left a comment of the review, and has subscribed to my channel.
😮Alright, that is just too cool to hear Wiggles. 😯:cool: Amazing stuff sir ! :D

See, not only are these reviews of yours' unbelievably enjoyable for watch
fans like us. But also the actual watch company/brand owners MW. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts