Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals!

Many of you may have seen and quite a few purchased my last 5 watch travel case. I am going to be creating a smaller version of this case that will hold 2 watches safely and some accessories. What do you think??

Onto the details.

• 2 or 3 watches
  • cufflink / ring holder
  • small accessory box for misc. items
  • Slot for extra strap
These are just the rough details, if you have ideas please let me know. I am all ears!

New To Scale Sketch:

(Can remove the center divider in the top as well as the cufflink pillows) The "Lid" folds over and snaps in place covering the accessories in the top compartment.

Older Sketch (Not exactly to scale with old measurements)

Last 5 watch travel case

No idea on pricing, but I will be giving all WF members a discount!

Appreciate the input!! *I realized i misspelled this in the title.. oops.
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's a beautiful watch case right there. The 5 watch one. Do you make them and sell them ? Perhaps a handle made out of the same material as the case itself would be nice. On top, to hold it in your hand....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Great designs.

The following comments are just my opinions in what would suit me. Others mileage may vary. :)

As far as a dual watch holder goes the smaller the better. Having room for 2 watches as well as 2 or 3
straps plus a strap changing tool would be ideal.

When travelling, space is always at a premium. Having the case as slim as possible would be my preference.
Being able to place it in a carry-on and take up the least amount of space would be good.

Good luck to you and thanks for asking.

Brian

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agree with some other comments here. My watches always go in my carry-on bag. Always! A travel case would need to meet that requirement for me. Other than that, beautiful cases!! Will be following this thread :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a beautiful watch case right there. The 5 watch one. Do you make them and sell them ? Perhaps a handle made out of the same material as the case itself would be nice. On top, to hold it in your hand....

Yes sir, I have them listed on my site www.blacklistwatches.com

Yeah, I may play with the idea of a handle, these ones will be much smaller though so easy to grasp.

Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wish someone would just come up with a very well made small pouch style case with hard exterior and super soft interior that can accommodate a single timepiece & a side pocket for one strap & a spring bar removing tool. That would be perfect for small trips.

Never the less your case design is comming along pretty nicely.

C.m.T

·
Registered
147 Posts
a great design idea,:smile-thumb2: looking forward to the finished products.
:clapping-hands-abov It must be popular in watch market

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,852 Posts
Proposed case is too large for me, it would either have to be checked in separately when flying, or put into a suit case and that would take up too much room. When I travel and take a couple of extra watches, I put them in hard backed cases for reading glasses, wrapped up in micro fiber cleaning cloths.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Pretty talented guy! Looks excellent. I'm a big fan of the slimmer and softer sided cases, myself. I also don't care for much more than holding one or two watches. One is actually plenty for me, usually, as I like traveling as light as I can.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I wish someone would just come up with a very well made small pouch style case with hard exterior and super soft interior that can accommodate a single timepiece & a side pocket for one strap & a spring bar removing tool. That would be perfect for small trips.

Never the less your case design is comming along pretty nicely.

C.m.T

Pm sent

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Hey guys and gals!

Many of you may have seen and quite a few purchased my last 5 watch travel case. I am going to be creating a smaller version of this case that will hold 2 watches safely and some accessories. What do you think??

Onto the details.

• 2 or 3 watches
  • cufflink / ring holder
  • small accessory box for misc. items
  • Slot for extra strap
These are just the rough details, if you have ideas please let me know. I am all ears!

Current sketch (Not exactly to scale)

No idea on pricing, but I will be giving all WF members a discount!

Appreciate the input!! *I realized i misspelled this in the title.. oops.
Thanks,
Justin
Justin
You know my opinion. I love the 4-5 watch travel case you sell that is similar to the great Croton Travel cases from years ago.

I think a second smaller option for 2 watches is a great compliment to the larger one. That way if you are going away for a week and want to take a bunch of watches you can use the larger one. And if you are only going away for a few days or a weekend and only want to bring 2 watches this new one would be perfect.

Looking forward to seeing this moving forward.

James

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make a soft sided case. IMO, those are much easier to travel with.
Like a Watch roll or like those leather pouches? I agree, if it can be soft, i would like it to be, but also protective. I am pretty confident I could drop this current one from 1-2 stories full of watches and there would be zero damage.

Maybe I should make a video of that to sell it... hah.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A smaller one for traveling would definitely be a better option. Can't wait to see this smaller case. Leather pouches would be nice.

·
Administrator
11,451 Posts
Like a Watch roll or like those leather pouches? I agree, if it can be soft, i would like it to be, but also protective. I am pretty confident I could drop this current one from 1-2 stories full of watches and there would be zero damage.

Maybe I should make a video of that to sell it... hah.
I travel all of the time with a soft sided carry case. Fortunately it has never fallen 1-2 stories, since neither me or my carry-on bag have never fallen 1-2 stories.

I have two of Bill's cases - Four and Six. I usually only carry a few watches and use the excess slots for straps and tools.

I use soft sided cases because they are just easier to pack and take less space than my hard sided cases, which I have a bunch of. They keep my watches very safe too. In addition, if I go into the city, I can easily slip them into my coat and nobody will know that I have my watches with me.

Here is a shot of my six, with some watches in it. My Panerai is a 44mm and fits with plenty of room:

I'm not saying this is the perfect case, but Bill is the only one that is putting one out like this and his CS sucks...if somebody can take this design and improve upon it, they would sell a ton. Folks in the WIS community loved these, but Bill's crap attitude put people off and it ended up making people seek other alternatives. I imagine it could be improved by incorporating tool slots or other pockets for other items that folks would travel with. For me, I like to travel fairly light and space is at a premium, so a thinner item would definitely appeal to me and a bunch of other collectors in the watch community.

Here is a link to see what he offers, for examples of how his are made/setup:

http://www.broadarrow.net/cases.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I travel all of the time with a soft sided carry case. Fortunately it has never fallen 1-2 stories, since neither me or my carry-on bag have never fallen 1-2 stories.

I have two of Bill's cases - Four and Six. I usually only carry a few watches and use the excess slots for straps and tools.

I use soft sided cases because they are just easier to pack and take less space than my hard sided cases, which I have a bunch of. They keep my watches very safe too. In addition, if I go into the city, I can easily slip them into my coat and nobody will know that I have my watches with me.

Here is a shot of my six, with some watches in it. My Panerai is a 44mm and fits with plenty of room:

I'm not saying this is the perfect case, but Bill is the only one that is putting one out like this and his CS sucks...if somebody can take this design and improve upon it, they would sell a ton. Folks in the WIS community loved these, but Bill's crap attitude put people off and it ended up making people seek other alternatives. I imagine it could be improved by incorporating tool slots or other pockets for other items that folks would travel with. For me, I like to travel fairly light and space is at a premium, so a thinner item would definitely appeal to me and a bunch of other collectors in the watch community.

Here is a link to see what he offers, for examples of how his are made/setup:

http://www.broadarrow.net/cases.htm

Thank you for the insight and the fantastic pictures. Toobad about his CS. I took a look at this website and it looks like it was made in the early 2000's. Regardless, I think this is a venture I may be willing to invest some time in if people were interested. I am not real fond of the leather hipster type watch pouches that Hodonkie sells, but seeing yours with all that padding has got me interested.

What material is inside? Looks like a synthetic or real thick wool? What's the outside?

Main Q: What is the cost of those and I'm guessing he hand makes them in the USA?

Appreciate your comments. Honestly the travel cases don't really make much money I just like creating things and serving the watch community!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great designs.

The following comments are just my opinions in what would suit me. Others mileage may vary. :)

As far as a dual watch holder goes the smaller the better. Having room for 2 watches as well as 2 or 3
straps plus a strap changing tool would be ideal.

When travelling, space is always at a premium. Having the case as slim as possible would be my preference.
Being able to place it in a carry-on and take up the least amount of space would be good.

Good luck to you and thanks for asking.

Brian

Agreed, Wondering if the top compartment should be for accessories or if it would be better fit for a 3rd watch or open compartment.. Hmm

I will be working on making it as small as possible.

Thanks for the comment!

·
Administrator
11,451 Posts
Thank you for the insight and the fantastic pictures. Toobad about his CS. I took a look at this website and it looks like it was made in the early 2000's. Regardless, I think this is a venture I may be willing to invest some time in if people were interested. I am not real fond of the leather hipster type watch pouches that Hodonkie sells, but seeing yours with all that padding has got me interested.

What material is inside? Looks like a synthetic or real thick wool? What's the outside?

Main Q: What is the cost of those and I'm guessing he hand makes them in the USA?

Appreciate your comments. Honestly the travel cases don't really make much money I just like creating things and serving the watch community!
The inside is a synthetic wool or similar material, real soft and provides good padding. The materials are either a "leather" or canvas-like material. I believe the price was $30 or so, depending on capacity. But that is one guy making it by "hand". I am sure that this could be reduced if it is made in a more industrial setting. But in regards to pricing, I am not sure if that is expensive or not, I guess I am a little out of touch :)

In regards to improving on his design -- If you look at the pouches, you could actually eliminate one side of it to create a more firm strap/tool section. It would make it a little less thick and still provide enough storage for 2/3 watches for travel?

For instance, in this photo below, the portion of the case that is folded down could be the fixed/firm side and used for the strap/tool sleeves. The other side could have the standard padding and pockets for the watches still. When it opened, you would have access to everything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: Spent some time working with the old case and a ruler to come up with some better fit measurements. The case will be much smaller than the 5 watch travel case. But hold 2+ watches. I say + because you could take the strap/bracelet off a watch and put it in the slot and the watch in the other square slot. In addition, the divider will not be glued in place but held in by pressure, so you could easily take it out if you needed. the springbar slot will be glued in place, but could also be easily taken out.

Rough Specs pending material thickness:
H:9cm
L: 13.5cm
W: 7.5cm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts