Watch Freeks banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Any idea of how much it costs to replace a keyboard in a Dell laptop. Is it a do it your self job? Whenever I hit the letter 'a' I get all kinds of extra letters and even some opening of programs. I hooked up a full sized keyboard and the problem goes away so I think it is safe to assume that the 'a' is broken.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

got to store staples and get an air blower - clean up your keyboard pretty good - if that doesnt work - you can pry out the button (I button) and clean underneath it -and then put it back

be gentle

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
got to store staples and get an air blower - clean up your keyboard pretty good - if that doesnt work - you can pry out the button (I button) and clean underneath it -and then put it back

be gentle
I already did all that, no luck.....

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I replaced my keyboard on my Dell and it was easy. I have full parts/service replacement plan and they sent out a new one and it had instructions to replace. Was super simple.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

on e-bay around $20.00, small phillips and a flat head screw driver is all you need. I keep extras around for all my dells and HPs.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

TheWatchGeek wrote:
on e-bay around $20.00, small phillips and a flat head screw driver is all you need. I keep extras around for all my dells and HPs.
Thanks, I'll check it out....

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

$19.49 shipped from Amazon. Thanks for all you help...

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Just a word of caution, be VERY gentile when taking the old key board out. It is attached by a flat ribbon cable with an in-line straight multi pin connector- open the keyboard slowly until you feel the tension, then tilt the bottom of the keyboard toward the screen you can then rest it on the screen and then multi-pin connector will be obvious and reachable, there is usually a "pull tab" on the keyboard side of the cable, gently pull it off the board side of the connector and plug the new one in watching the orientation slot is alligned.

This is not to scare you and sounds a lot more fragile than it actually is but I have repaired the motherboard side of the connector a number of times due to an over zealous tech. :whatever:

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

maui_freek wrote:
Just a word of caution, be VERY gentile when taking the old key board out. It is attached by a flat ribbon cable with an in-line straight multi pin connector- open the keyboard slowly until you feel the tension, then tilt the bottom of the keyboard toward the screen you can then rest it on the screen and then multi-pin connector will be obvious and reachable, there is usually a "pull tab" on the keyboard side of the cable, gently pull it off the board side of the connector and plug the new one in watching the orientation slot is alligned.

This is not to scare you and sounds a lot more fragile than it actually is but I have repaired the motherboard side of the connector a number of times due to an over zealous tech. :whatever:
Thanks for the word of caution......I've been inside desktops many times so I am familiar with cables and I hope this will not be a problem. I'll let you know....:b

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

Marc - I decided to try it today for fun and got frustrated trying to get mine out and this is what happened.

only kidding, lol

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Marc - I decided to try it today for fun and got frustrated trying to get mine out and this is what happened.

only kidding, lol
I really need a new one anyway so maybe this is not so bad.....:%:%:%

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

This video should explain it all for you.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/lbAzHtFYNrk&feature=related&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

sportscenterisnext wrote:
This video should explain it all for you.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/lbAzHtFYNrk&feature=related&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
THANKS, I think I can handle that.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Update:

The new keyboard arrived today and the replacement took all of 10 minutes to install. The longest part was the shutdown and reboot. :lol Thank you to all for their input and help. This was an easy $20 repair and this laptop is as good as new. See:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No problems with the 'a'.

Marc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.