Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, relative and general at any rate.

Has anyone set out to compile a comparative ranking of brands in recent memory? Nothing iron clad since every brand has a scale or range but a good rule of thumb to use as a guide.

And it would have to be at least a two scale list. One scale for retail price and one scale for resell value. Perhaps a third scale for reputation/owner satisfaction, price notwithstanding. Then a person can determine his own preference of desirability indicators.

For instance(just as a SWAG):

Citizen:

Quartz(battery):

Retail range: $175-$500 Resell value $25-250

Eco Drive:

Retail range: $250-$700...Resell value $50-500.

Or:

"Retail range:

Timex - $40-100
Relic/Fossil - $100-250

Resell value:

Timex - $25-75
Relic/Fossil - $25-100"

Etc.

I have had Citizens for several years. They EARNED my loyalty. But now I'm working towards a collection. Tag, Tissot, Maurice Lacroix, Jean Richard, and looking forward to Breitling and Omega. But along the ay I am looking at a lot of nice looking watches. But I have no idea where to place them in the "Pantheon". A structured raking system would be fantastic.

Thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Or starting the nucleus of such a system would be even more welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Kinda of like a kelly Blue book for watches?

Interesting. Typically Watchrecon, eBay and such can give you examples of prices, but, like with automobiles, the condition can play a huge factor in the selling price.

Reactions: Patronus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Watch values are like cars.. they can fluctuate over time. Based on supply and demand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Value is so hard to quantify
Some brands just get no love if not heavily promoted

Try buying quality movements in brands not replicated by Chinese or ...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Strangely resale value and liquidity don't always equal quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.

The value of something you are selling (preowned) is exactly what you can get for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts