Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no dog in this fight as I have written positive reviews of the brand in the past. The original post is from another geek friendly forum. Does it surprise me that Alibaba or one of the vendors there make these watches? Not at all and for the price point, Stan Best, Stan Bets or Stan Betesh depending on informercial host, has a decent product.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Had a feeling something was going on with Deep Blue when I seen they started selling them on TV and on ShopHQ ala Invicta. Still nice watches...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a feeling something was going on with Deep Blue when I seen they started selling them on TV and on ShopHQ ala Invicta. Still nice watches...
With the margins they have on informercials I can see where he would go to alibaba. At least he never made too many false claims and as I mentioned I have no issue with brand. For the money, not a bad deal.

·
Super Moderator
10,359 Posts
Alain, so they basically make, or build the watches, and then different
watch companies will put their name on the dial right?

It's really something, and how about the prices of the watches too?! 😮
A lot of times the prices range from $5.50, to just over $20.00. So
paying anything more than that for the watches is the opposite of
bang for the buck it would seem. 🤯

Honestly have not visited this site before, so thanks so much for
the link. Along with shedding yet more light on things !

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
"A lot of times the prices range from $5.50, to just over $20.00".
That's crazy. I question the laborers involved when items are mass produced and sold so cheap. By labor I mean slave labor, that's what crosses my mind; and bothers me, so I just keep on driven. If I knew a deal that good wasn't coming off the back of a oppressed worker I'd have a collection.

·
Registered
304 Posts
"A lot of times the prices range from $5.50, to just over $20.00".
That's crazy. I question the laborers involved when items are mass produced and sold so cheap. By labor I mean slave labor, that's what crosses my mind; and bothers me, so I just keep on driven. If I knew a deal that good wasn't coming off the back of a oppressed worker I'd have a collection.
I question the markup on many name brands due to advertising costs and simply the brand name when many of the watches are able to be manufactured for pennies on the dollar.

Here's an article that deals specifically with Chinese made earphones aka Chi-fi. I'm sure it's a similar story for watches.

From the article:
Most name-brand audio companies actually make their products in China, so it makes sense that homegrown companies would have an advantage on price. The concentration of equipment, expertise, and raw material has made for many hotspots of semi-DIY electronics manufacturing, most famously in Shenzhen. This is one of the few places on Earth, and certainly the biggest, where you can buy a shipping container full of plastic earbud bodies, cables, drivers, and all the other parts needed to make earbuds. Shenzhen and other Chinese cities like it are the perfect birthplace for these companies. That said, the origin story for each individual brand is a little bit different. Some start as original equipment manufacturers, or OEMs, meaning they actually make that name-brand stuff for Beats or Shure or whomever. “Some of them are just trading companies, some are engineers that left another factory, it’s every possible variation,” says Mike Klasco, an audio engineering consultant who has been scouting factories throughout Asia for 35 years.

This kind of quality is possible because the relevant components — the cables, the casing, the drivers, the wiring — are all relatively cheap, even at the highest quality. The diaphragm of the tiny speaker inside an earbud may cost as little as five cents, or as much as four dollars for a diamond-coated version. And for earbuds and IEMs, the quality of the components translates directly to the quality of the product. If you have top-tier drivers and circuitry, your product will sound very good, even if the build quality is a little off.

Of course, premium branding means premium profits, too. “Best Buy might get a 50 percent markup,” says Klasco. For name-brand audio companies, the cost comes with extensive testing, design, marketing, staff overhead, packaging, shipping, and multiple cuts of the pie from manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer. (This is different from, say, a pair of shoes, where the best-quality leather and foam won’t necessarily translate to a comfortable fit.)

...Chinese brands cut out all of that stuff. Only the biggest and most ambitious of these companies even bother with a website; most of them have little more than a vendor page on AliExpress. Some of these companies buy their drivers — the actual speakers — from the same factories that provide Sennheiser and Beats with theirs. Tin Audio uses Knowles balanced armature drivers for its T3 model; those are the most important thing inside this product. Those same drivers, or at least very similar ones, can also be found in Ultimate Ears IEMs that cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. The factories that make the drivers don’t care who they sell to; they maintain a certain level of quality because their clients depend on that. And once you’ve sourced the parts, it’s not expensive at all to put them together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts