Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there any one characteristic about a watch that is a definite deal breaker. No matter how cool, great price, Elvis wore one, it's still a deal breaker because of this one thing. And I mean each and every time it's a deal breaker.
Could be the movement, bracelet, size, lume or no lume, diamonds, manufacturer, whatever.
I can live with some things, for instance, I don't care for chrono's. Not a big fan but will still buy the watch if everything else sings to me.

But for me that one thing that is a definite deal breaker, quartz. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely dig hundreds of designs out there with quartz movements and applaud anyone for getting one. I just can't do it myself. A definite number two is size, nothing less than 44mm anymore.

Your thought?

CJ

·
Registered
120 Posts
imported post

The thing that I absolutely will never have on a watch is gems of any kind.

There are a zillion other things but this one is head and shoulders over all the others.

Gems on a watch here in the Uk just screams "chav" to me and that is to be avoided at all costs!

Steve

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Steve, what's a chav?

CJ

Aliquando wrote:
The thing that I absolutely will never have on a watch is gems of any kind.

There are a zillion other things but this one is head and shoulders over all the others.

Gems on a watch here in the Uk just screams "chav" to me and that is to be avoided at all costs!

Steve

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

I will not buy a Quartz movement watch of any kind.

But I will graciously accept one as a gift.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I have no problem with quartz. But here is the big deal breaker for me...

GOLD - I WILL NOT WEAR ANY WATCHES that have yellow gold, or rosetone for that matter. No 2tone with gold either. Just not for me. NO GOLD color.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

skulls or skull shaped cases etc

square or rectangular watches are out also

quartz's are a tough call but right now i got too many and am a little tired of the chrono's -but this may be temporary

i also dont like BLING -maybe alittle if done gracefully -such as some citizens etc but i really dont like the BLING on a watch -at lease not for ME

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

NO gemstones of any kind

NO rider tabs as on Breitling Blackbird, etc and Sub Aqua Noma, etc. They catch on everything and are especially hard on shirt sleeve cuffs.

NO ana-digi dual displays. Too hard to tell what the correct time is and too many button presses needed to get to the date, chronograph function, etc.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
I totally forgot that and that is also a deal breaker for me. The aforementioned NO GOLD and I do not buy square or rectangle watches either.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

It cant say Renato on it Just Kidding

It must be 48mm or larger
It cant be gold plated
If it has rubber it better have some flair
No Gem stones!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I have no problem with quartz. But here is the big deal breaker for me...

GOLD - I WILL NOT WEAR ANY WATCHES that have yellow gold, or rosetone for that matter. No 2tone with gold either. Just not for me. NO GOLD color.
Exactly the same here!

Oh yeah, a flimsy bracelet. I HATE flimsy bracelets!!!!!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

we might as well be twins!!! LOL

TVDinner wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
I totally forgot that and that is also a deal breaker for me. The aforementioned NO GOLD and I do not buy square or rectangle watches either.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I don't like buying something that everyone else has.

A few people, fine.

But........

When I check out a thread about what you're "wearing today" and more than 50% of the watches are the same. That's it for me. I won't get one. I mean why should I. I can just look at everyone elses. LOL

Otherwise, size, color, strap or bracelet, I have no real preference.

Will take mechanicals over autos and autos over quartz.

But none of these is a deal breaker. If I like it, I'll get it.

I invest in the stock market, I wear watches.

T.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Damnit!! I was sending you a Square, Skull Dial, Quartz with Flame Fusion Diamoniques............

CJ

WATCHURSELF wrote:

quartz's are a tough call but right now i got too many and am a little tired of the chrono's -but this may be temporary

i also dont like BLING -maybe alittle if done gracefully -such as some citizens etc but i really dont like the BLING on a watch -at lease not for ME

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WELL gifts are a different story!!! LOL

Seattle wrote:
Damnit!! I was sending you a Square, Skull Dial, Quartz with Falme Fusion Dimaoniques............

CJ

WATCHURSELF wrote:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I will not wear a gold tone or rose gold watch unless its real solid gold....lol...so I am not buying a solid gold watch so I guess i will never have one in my collection..

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

First. Symmetrical design. The RD style with the very large crown protector is a deal breaker. It looks like a male body part to me. It just sticks out there all by itself looking for something to do or belong to. Mind you, large crowns do not bother me if it is done as part of the whole style. Not something that was added at the last minute.

Eye appeal it the most important thing.

Second is all chrome look with a washed out face and white hands. I like contrast in a watch that flows.

Third is because someone else told me to buy it while not knowing my likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Well, for me it would definately be gemstones of any kind, rose gold and in some cases, who the manufacturer is. Pretty simple! OOPS, I forgot, I WILL NOT buy a leather strap! it's either a bracelet or rubber if it's on a nice diver.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I guess I don't have one. I don't want to eliminate any watches, just cause of a perceived bias. :)

Each and every time that I wrote something here, I had to changed it.

Case Diameter (for example), I would state must be 45mm or bigger, but I would never turn down a 40mm Rolex.

Movement, I would state must NOT be quartz (but I own a few and bought one last week). Must be Swiss Movement . . . well, that one is about as close to a "deal breaker" as any criteria. I love Swiss mechanical/automatic movements! No Chinese . . . please!

No rubber straps (but I own one -- SAIII). I always prefer bracelets! DEFINITELY NO LEATHER STRAPS!!!! YUCK!!!!!

Crystals . . . I prefer sapphire, but own several mineral and 1 FF.

Diamonds are cool, but I'm not a fan of other gemstones.

Always prefer a screw-down crown (but, again, I own several "push/pull")

I love elaborate dial work on a timepiece. I also own several "plain Jane" dials as well!

I guess the way I work is to look for my "ideal" (Swiss Made, 46-48mm case, COSC mechanical/automatic movement w/complication, sapphire crystal, screw down crown, solid end link diver's style bracelet, and gorgeous dial). As these criteria are absent on a watch, it less likely that I will buy it!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well at lest you're open minded and willing to consider a variety of characteristics.
I have "pigeon holed" myself to where my choices are very, very limited. I always see cool stuff with one ore more characteristics I am not crazy about and know that once the newness wears off I will never wear it....example, my 2 quartz SAS's. Awesome watch but the fact they are quartz has made me lose interest (one was traded). Only keeping the other because I have someone close to me that has shown an interest and I may gift it to him this X-mas.

CJ

CurrentTime wrote:
I guess I don't have one. I don't want to eliminate any watches, just cause of a perceived bias. :)

Each and every time that I wrote something here, I had to changed it.

Case Diameter (for example), I would state must be 45mm or bigger, but I would never turn down a 40mm Rolex.

Movement, I would state must NOT be quartz (but I own a few and bought one last week). Must be Swiss Movement . . . well, that one is about as close to a "deal breaker" as any criteria. I love Swiss mechanical/automatic movements! No Chinese . . . please!

No rubber straps (but I own one -- SAIII). I always prefer bracelets! DEFINITELY NO LEATHER STRAPS!!!! YUCK!!!!!

Crystals . . . I prefer sapphire, but own several mineral and 1 FF.

Diamonds are cool, but I'm not a fan of other gemstones.

Always prefer a screw-down crown (but, again, I own several "push/pull")

I love elaborate dial work on a timepiece. I also own several "plain Jane" dials as well!

I guess the way I work is to look for my "ideal" (Swiss Made, 46-48mm case, COSC mechanical/automatic movement w/complication, sapphire crystal, screw down crown, solid end link diver's style bracelet, and gorgeous dial). As these criteria are absent on a watch, it less likely that I will buy it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts