·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Eric, wow, what a find, and check out the shape it's in too ! :eek3: :eek:

Nowadays they make a watch look like it has a patina, while
this one has one naturally, and how about the style?! We have
been seeing a ton of new watches that cost a ton. While I bet
this beauty was fairly affordable. :)

Even the movement rocks ! ..A giant congrats ahead of time 2 U !!!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Very nice Eric, a good find. And with unmistakable Seventies style case.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I've been on a fairly long search for one of these, particularly a nice military-issued survivor. Now to shop for straps!

Apparently these are becoming quite collectable.
That shape should wear comfortably too.
Enjoy your "new" watch
You're not kidding on the collectable part. Wildly differing and escalating prices on these (there are also very similar-looking reissues) but I found this original example for a price I could stomach.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been on a fairly long search for one of these, particularly a nice military-issued survivor. Now to shop for straps!

You're not kidding on the collectable part. Wildly differing and escalating prices on these (there are also very similar-looking reissues) but I found this original example for a price I could stomach.

Try Haveston. Really good natos. I have several.

https://www.haveston.com/

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I own a couple Haveston natos, a canvas and a leather, and think they're great, but the one I'm really stoked about is the A.F.0210., which is an accurate reproduction of WWII era canvas military straps, right down to the brass hardware. They look fabulous and the canvas is super soft. The khaki strap comes in widths of 17.5, 20, and 22mm, but the O.D. green and black ones are only available in 17.5mm. Lengths are 250 and 270mm. Love your CWC and think it would look awesome on one of these.

https://af0210strap.com/

Ha, funny you should mention that, I ordered one from them this morning. Glad to hear you're happy with them.

The 18mm lug width was a bit limiting but I do have this one coming for staters:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Erik:
You da man!!!!! Kinda reminds me of the 1st watch I ever bought in 1949
An A11 WW2 mil issue wristie. $40.00 WW2 Surplus. Made by 4 Watch
contractors. Hamilton, Bulova, Elgin and I seem to recall Gruen. 6 jeweled. 36
mm. Hammy 359 mech movement. Hand cranker of course. Those companies
also made size 16 pocketwatches for the USN and USCG. Blck dialed with only
the letters GMT on the dial.
The A11 replaced a 7 jewel Elgin pocketwatch my paw gave me.Worst watch
ever made IMO.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Notice that the strap has no holes. The tang is like a small nail, so adjustment is infinitely variable. The choice is to order it in a length to tuck or not to tuck. He can do custom lengths, like 290mm.

Yes That definitely looks the part. I especially like how slender and tight the hardware is on this one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: enricosonic

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I own a couple Haveston natos, a canvas and a leather, and think they're great, but the one I'm really stoked about is the A.F.0210., which is an accurate reproduction of WWII era canvas military straps, right down to the brass hardware. They look fabulous and the canvas is super soft. The khaki strap comes in widths of 17.5, 20, and 22mm, but the O.D. green and black ones are only available in 17.5mm. Lengths are 250 and 270mm. Love your CWC and think it would look awesome on one of these.
May I ask, what is your wrist size and which length did you choose? I believe I'll try one of these. Quite the gathering of classic military watches on that site.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
May I ask, what is your wrist size and which length did you choose? I believe I'll try one of these. Quite the gathering of classic military watches on that site.
My wrist is 7.75". I ordered 270mm, but it came measuring 260mm w/o the buckle. I was worried that it would be too short and the vendor, Rob Fraser, offered to send me a longer one, 270 or 290mm, but as I played with it, I realized it was a perfect untucked length. Probably better to err on the long side. The worst that could happen, you do a fold over tuck.

With payment in pounds, I assumed he was in the U.K., but he's in Queensland.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wrist is 7.75". I ordered 270mm, but it came measuring 260mm w/o the buckle. I was worried that it would be too short and the vendor, Rob Fraser, offered to send me a longer one, 270 or 290mm, but as I played with it, I realized it was a perfect untucked length. Probably better to err on the long side. The worst that could happen, you do a fold over tuck.

With payment in pounds, I assumed he was in the U.K., but he's in Queensland.
Very helpful. Thanks Chuck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a little box on the porch today. Turns out this old CWC is a bit cleaner and in better shape than I expected. Just some light scuffs and tiny dings and a bit of puffiness to the lume, all of which I welcome. Still waiting on straps to arrive. The fixed bars are actually 18.5mm not 18.0. So a 19mm strap fits without bunching up.

Couple of quick phone pics:

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Hey cool Eric, you weren't kidding about the terrific shape that it
is in ! :jaw: Must have just been the lighting in the original picture that
was changing the look of the watch. Because it looks gorgeous in
your excellent pics !!! :smileyface_hand_cla

You really can see the beauty of the finish, and how it looks some
where in between brushed, and bead blasted. Even the crystal,
as well as dial look like new old stock. ..With the straps being the
cherry on top ! HUGE congrats there sir !!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey cool Eric, you weren't kidding about the terrific shape that it
is in ! :jaw: Must have just been the lighting in the original picture that
was changing the look of the watch. Because it looks gorgeous in
your excellent pics !!! :smileyface_hand_cla

You really can see the beauty of the finish, and how it looks some
where in between brushed, and bead blasted. Even the crystal,
as well as dial look like new old stock. ..With the straps being the
cherry on top ! HUGE congrats there sir !!!
It's hard to see from photos but it looks to have had a lightly brushed finish at one time. 44 years later, I can barely make out any evidence of that, but the reissues have that brushed finish.

The only letdown is the Tritium paint lume (what the circled "T" on the dial stands for), which at this point only lasts a matter of seconds before being very difficult to see in the dark. I didn't expect much in that department however. I reckon it could be re-applied but I don't plan on having that done.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
It's hard to see from photos but it looks to have had a lightly brushed finish at one time. 44 years later, I can barely make out any evidence of that, but the reissues have that brushed finish.

The only letdown is the Tritium paint lume (what the circled "T" on the dial stands for), which at this point only lasts a matter of seconds before being very difficult to see in the dark. I didn't expect much in that department however. I reckon it could be re-applied but I don't plan on having that done.

Can totally see the brushing form here Eric. :smile-thumb: Then at the same
time it does look subtle, which is so neat if you ask me. Because it gives the
watch, and finish a very cool, super refined feel. :cool:

P.S. the tritium paint problem doesn't sound bad at all, and doesn't look bad
from here either. Just look at it as lume patina ! :)

Enjoy Eric !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts