Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, I was wondering what is the majority opinion on a watch with the crown at the four o'clock position. Is there a specific reason or is it an arbitrary design? I dislike it a lot. For me it's a deal breaker. The watch just doesn't look balanced. What's your take? By the way I had no idea as I write another thread is taking a poll on this very question.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Seiko's, and other dive watch manufacturers especially, like to put the crown at 4 o'clock to keep it from digging into the wrist or hand, and to offer it additional protection (using the side of the case, as well as possibly crown guards) in adverse environments. It also keeps the overall width of the watch down when measuring from side to side.

I find it to be very effective, and never had an issue with the aesthetics of it. If anything, I'd say I almost prefer a 4 o'clock crown over a 3 o'clock one.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Lots of people like it at the 4 as they find it does not hit into the wrist as much in that position. Especially as the watches got bigger in size, people noticed this more and more. With the 50+ watches falling out of favor it is not as big of a benefit. But I like it on the ones I have.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello friends, I was wondering what is the majority opinion on a watch with the crown at the four o'clock position. Is there a specific reason or is it an arbitrary design? I dislike it a lot. For me it's a deal breaker. The watch just doesn't look balanced. What's your take? By the way I had no idea as I write another thread is taking a poll on this very question.

I also dislike it and agree is makes it look unbalanced. The watch you post especially and they could have easily changed the date wheel to the 3 position instead of the 4 to mitigate it.

I also wear my watches higher up the wrist so I don't get the utilization intended of having a 4 crown.

·
6,396 Posts
Four o'clock? Yes, if it's an integral part of the design:

Six o'clock? Same thing:

Reactions: Stewie

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
Seiko's, and other dive watch manufacturers especially, like to put the crown at 4 o'clock to keep it from digging into the wrist or hand, and to offer it additional protection (using the side of the case, as well as possibly crown guards) in adverse environments. It also keeps the overall width of the watch down when measuring from side to side.

I find it to be very effective, and never had an issue with the aesthetics of it. If anything, I'd say I almost prefer a 4 o'clock crown over a 3 o'clock one.
I agree with this. Seiko does have some divers with the crown at 3, but I feel that the crown at 4 looks a bit better.

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
Though I do not own a watch with a crown at the 4 O'clock position, I do like the look. I also imagine it would prevent some pinching at the wrist. Though, I've began wearing my watch higher simply avoid this and the undue pressure it puts on the bracelet links as I've broken a few bracelets this way in years past.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I prefer the quirky look of the crown at the 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do too but I do think there are a few watches that also look good with the crown at 3. What I dont like and probably never will is the crown at any other position especially at the 9 o'clock position. at the 9 is a major deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't mind the crown at 3 or 4, I really like the look and feel of my 009 with it at 4. For some strange reason though I cannot get into the 6,9,or 12 positions. Although I think left handlers like a 9 crown.
Cheers
D.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I like it.

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
You have broken bracelets with pressure from your wrist? :confused:
Yep. Late teens-early twenties I wore my watches more loose. It would slide down my wrist and when I would bend my wrist back it would press the crown up and put pressure through the band unevenly (the hand side of the band stretching up as i bend my wrist back). Over time this wore out pins. This was particularly so when I was screwing around and using my hands to push myself up on something so would really stretch the band more. I can remember two specific incidents where this happened. Once on a Guess watch and once on a Fossil.

·
Long Time Member
1,739 Posts
I like the four o'clock, and maybe even prefer it, as others said above. It might be because my first real watch was a Monster. I've liked it ever since.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I love that ^^^ Sinn !!!

I'm a big fan of offset crowns. Here are some old pics of some I've had and miss and I still own the Monster and Frankenmonster.

I love this beater monster even if it's really beat up and missing paint on bezel numerals

I'd love to get another one of these A1's but blue/blue/orange

I don't miss this one but it looked and felt great on the wrist. I was just scared of scratching it all up.

Not mine ever, only wish it was. Would love to build one like this some day on a Sawtooth or Baby Tuna with meteorite dial

I think they look great and feel comfy on the wrist but I can understand if others don't.

The first dive watch company to do the 4 o' clock crown was Doxa, according to a magazine I saw. It's kinda Seikos bread and butter but I love it on many brands. Would love to get a piece with crown at 8 o' clock one day. Not know which one yet.

Had a 10 o' clock crown on a Hexa and that looked and felt really nice too, to me. Not happy about letting that one go.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Some damn nice watches people. ^^^^

1 - 20 of 33 Posts