Watch Freeks banner

Cool Knives at Touch of Modern

4K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  GoodWatch 
#1 ·
Not sure if all you guys get emails from Touch of Modern, and you probably
already know about all of the brands that they carry I imagine. But know that
we have a lot of knife fans here, and was hoping you might enjoy a look at
some of the ones they have.

Have the link right here everyone. Hope you really enjoy... :)

https://www.touchofmodern.com/stores/knives

#2 ·
It seems that one has to have an account to log in. At least, that's what I encounter.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Apologies Frans. So sorry. :( ..You know was thinking how I never signed
up, or even have a password or anything. :eek: But I get the emails like this.

Somehow must have been automatically signed up through my email
account without even knowing, or actually signing up to get the emails
sir.

#9 ·
I'm in now. And don't worry about trivial issues like these, sometimes a site 'looks' at your IP address and if that is NOT originating from a certain area (e.g. US) you are barred. (Due to European privacy laws for instance). I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

#10 ·
Back to the subject. I have a smaller version of a knife like that one but my heart lies with traditional pocket knives. 'Vintage' you know :D

#15 ·
My only comment is to watch out with the Damascus steel knives. I bought one and it’s made in Pakistan and has extremely poor fit and finish. Looks really cool, but crafted so poorly that the blade edge rests on metal when closed. They removed too much material on the blade where the case stops the blade. There’s no way to fix it.

I suspect all of the Damascus knives come from the same place.

@robotazky

#19 ·
I have one of those (Laguiole clone), but I think mine is made in China. The blade is not too bad. I also have an original Indonesian Kris, this is a ceremonial dagger and they are not only works of art but also are believed to have spiritual powers. They are made following the same principle as Damascus steel. We have been to a Kris museum in Jakarta and the craftsmanship of these daggers is outstanding. The older and more elaborate ones (once owned by Indonesian princes and royalty) are just beautiful and extremely rare now.

But my wife (who is of Indonesian descent) is not very content with me owning one. A Kris has a soul and has to be given during an elaborate ceremony and not purchased or else it will bring bad fortune. Because of that I no longer keep it in our home but store it elsewhere.

#17 ·
I ordered a Claude Dozorme about a year ago from A Touch of Modern and the knife .is a French Laguiole pocket knife. I became a knife collector from that point. I have many Laguioles, Opinels, and a couple of Cold Steels but my coolest one is my L'Epicurien by Robert David with horn scales.

#18 ·
I just ordered a Maserin Nimrod M390 Tactical Folding Knife from Massdrop. I'm gonna send it to a buddy of mine that does Youtube reviews of knives and such.

#23 ·
Hobefabu, those are just extraordinary, and love the whole theme of
them seeming like a pen, but then being these super sleek knives,
and works of art ! :smile1:

Seriously look as beautiful closed, as they do when open sir !

P.S. guess this is one of those examples when the pen, and the
sword are equally mighty. :clap2: ..Thanks so so much for the look !!!

#25 ·
And this just 50% of the collection :D

Reactions: DubyaDubyaSF
#27 ·
I have to bribe her with shoes and handbags :D

#30 · (Edited)
That microscope was an absolute steal. I must have mentioned it before but I paid something like 55 Euro for it and I had to contact the seller, he asked me to call him. He wanted to know why I wanted it and if I was going to keep it. I explained the story of my youth and he said: "it's yours, I know it will be in good hands".

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your willingness to view my small collection and apologies to the OP for shamelessly stealing his thread. The large Bolex camera took the most effort to complete. I had to buy the body and after that the special lens (on of the first attempts to make a semi automatic lens), the electric motor was sourced in Germany and restored by me, to find the exposure meter in visually good state (and complete) took over a month, the lens hood came from the US and I had one part for the lens (the connector piece for the combined zoom/trigger handle made locally which took two attempts because of missing dimensions. These two parts didn't come together with the lens and because of that I could buy it for a relatively low amount.

The first time I saw this camera in the configuration it is now, I had to have one. But one part is still missing: the rubber eye piece for the view finder. They are becoming very rare, the rubber is often deteriorated and therefore good exemplars are very expensive. The camera needs two eye pieces and I have one but the most important one is still missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.