Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Do confrontations bother you ?...I know some people will do their best to avoid them & others tend to be "in your face" obnoxious about them.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Choose your battles wisely is what I think. There are many folks looking for trouble and I try to avoid them. But, if I am right I will voice my opinion and stick to it. The confrontational part will be started by the other person not me. ....Bob

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

Bob wrote:
Choose your battles wisely is what I think. There are many folks looking for trouble and I try to avoid them. But, if I am right I will voice my opinion and stick to it. The confrontational part will be started by the other person not me. ....Bob
"DITTO"

Well said BOB

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

I used to be impuslsive and the first to get in someone's face if I had an opinion that I FELT needed to be heard.
As the years have passed I have GREATLY softened that stance and realized a few things including
1) we live in to violent of a world and getting in someone's face could quickly lead to getting shot, just not worth it
2) 99% of the the time I learned that I also could make the same point by listening and then discussing the issue with logic in a calm manner. This allowed for an open dialog, while not burning a bridge and potentially ruining a relationship.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I don't seek out confrontations and I don't shy away from them either. I agree that one should pick and choose their battles and that there is little to gain when you know you can't win a confrontation. I have more of an issue when a confrontation is warranted and I have to restrain myself because the 'client is always right' rule gets evoked....

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

I generally use the subtle "badabing" approach. You know, baseball bat across the knees?......... :c

Ok, ok. Just kidding. My father always taught me that "You get more with honey than you do with vinegar." I have always tried to apply this for the most part. There are just times though when one just needs to be "assertive". It's just a fact. IMO.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I used to be impuslsive and the first to get in someone's face if I had an opinion that I FELT needed to be heard.
As the years have passed I have GREATLY softened that stance and realized a few things including
1) we live in to violent of a world and getting in someone's face could quickly lead to getting shot, just not worth it
2) 99% of the the time I learned that I also could make the same point by listening and then discussing the issue with logic in a calm manner. This allowed for an open dialog, while not burning a bridge and potentially ruining a relationship.
I fully agree, I never saw the use of anger to solve a problem. I would walk away rather than hurt someone.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

When I was younger I had a short fuse and would explode at people. Now that I'm a little older and hopefully a little wiser, I'm not into the confrontational thing. I will stand up for what I believe and will do that forcefully if i have to but I don't go looking for it either.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Duchess wrote:
Do confrontations bother you ?...I know some people will do their best to avoid them & others tend to be "in your face" obnoxious about them.
I tend to avoid confrontation myself....it's too easy for me to jump back into football player mode and lose control. I had a very bad temper when I played ball, and I would explode at times. ( I broke a DT's jaw my sophmore year in college. ) Iplayed with a lot of rage, and I worked long and hard after my playing days were over in an Anger Management class to learn how to control it. And when you are as big as I am....it's easy to harm someone without meaning to...so I just don't put myself into that type of situation.

·
Registered
767 Posts
imported post

They don't bother me. I used to welcome them with closed fists, back when I was young with nothing to lose...or fear, for that matter. Now that I'm a father, I'm much more wise in regards to which batlles I'll choose. The problem, for me, is that I have a short fuse and take a lot too seriously and too personally. But, like I said, the older I get, the more wise I am, and this ultimately results in fewer confrontations altogether. Interesting question though, Duchess - it got me thinking about where I am in my life (and in my head).

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Like everyone else I try to avoid confrontation, unless it deals with my family and friends. when I was yuounger I was always ready to beat someone's azz. now a day's you have to be careful.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Bob wrote:
Ditto.

Confrontations are an inevitable part of life . . . and when they are productive and lead to a solution or change, they're great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.