Watch Freeks banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Fellas, this really sucks.1st, my hp elite kills the nvidia card, so instead of getting another card since it happened on a sunday,I bought a new Asus.A big, powerful machine running 2 gigs of dedicated graphics and the 64bit os to run my cad and rendering programs that I have to use to do design work. 4 days ago, the card reader stops working.I tried installing another driver, but got error messages.I uninstalled the driver, crashed the system and reloaded my os.It still didn't work.then one of the graphics cards started to go, then one of the processors burned up.This is a new system.Asus sent a rma to return it for a new one.I finally got around to replacing the graphics card in my hp elite so I have a system while I sent the asus back.All of this happened before I could do a backup.I lost about 200 gigs of photos.I'm bummed.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

That suxI know how you feel that happened to me my 500gig external hard drive crashed andI didn't back up all my photo's and music, and I lost it all. Bummer indeed. 100's of pics and about 45gigs worth of music.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

My HP crashed over the weekend also. I was able to enter in safe mode and save about 8GB of photos before it completely crashed. I'm waiting for the box to arrive to ship it in for a warranty repair as we speak. This is the second time my HP has crashed in 12 months. I will never buy an HP again. I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
Fellas, this really sucks.1st, my hp elite kills the nvidia card, so instead of getting another card since it happened on a sunday,I bought a new Asus.A big, powerful machine running 2 gigs of dedicated graphics and the 64bit os to run my cad and rendering programs that I have to use to do design work. 4 days ago, the card reader stops working.I tried installing another driver, but got error messages.I uninstalled the driver, crashed the system and reloaded my os.It still didn't work.then one of the graphics cards started to go, then one of the processors burned up.This is a new system.Asus sent a rma to return it for a new one.I finally got around to replacing the graphics card in my hp elite so I have a system while I sent the asus back.All of this happened before I could do a backup.I lost about 200 gigs of photos.I'm bummed.
I freeking HATE hearing stories like this. Computers just suck endlessly. I lost a 250gb external hardrive and everything on it one time. It just makes NO SENSE at all and you almost have to have BACKUPS OF THE BACKUPS just to be safe.

since then I am a big believer in offsite backup companies like Carbonite and other similar companies. I also upload A LOT of my files to my different website hosting accounts just as additional back ups.

Do you use something like Carbonite? http://www.carbonite.com/ - with unlimited back up amount.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Do you use something like Carbonite? http://www.carbonite.com/ - with unlimited back up amount.
I've been a carbonite user for years. It is the best $50 per year you can spend. Never loose valuable information again. I highly recommend it.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Wow, must be something in the air. My Dell desktop died last week also (it was old).......thankfully I use three separate external hard drives (personal, business and finances). I ordered a new Dell and it's supposed to be here today. I plugged my laptop up to my 20" screen and keyboard for the time being.

Sorry to hear about everyone's mishaps!:(

CJ

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I hate fighting computer problems. I used to be fairly knowledgeable, but I haven't kept up...

I had a laptop STOLEN and lost EVERYTHING approximately a year ago and I'm still suffering the ramifications of that.

My latest SURPRISE was MS Outlook's 2GB max file size. That one truly sucked (and still does). If you didn't know about that (I didn't) Outlook just stops working and will not open untils you jump through hoops and you have to lose random data from the file to cut the size down.

I honestly cannot believe that I used to ENJOY messing with computers...

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Lost all my stuff two weeks ago, Just got the deck top up and running. We lost all the piks of Zues, Shelby and Khan. I sent the hard drive out too see if they can recover anything. Pisses me off. At this point I am loading everything on too CD,s as back-ups!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
I've been a carbonite user for years. It is the best $50 per year you can spend. Never loose valuable information again. I highly recommend it.
I'm actually working on getting the company to do this. I'm sold.

The Outlook thing Sucked. The STOLEN laptop and losing almost EVERYTHING was devastating.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
Spaceview wrote:
I'm actually working on getting the company to do this. I'm sold.

The Outlook thing Sucked. The STOLEN laptop and losing almost EVERYTHING was devastating.
The only problem with carbonite for companies is that they DO NOT do servers, only individual computers. They are not set up to do the auto backups with the operating systems most servers run on. But for windows xp, etc - they are great.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

The only problem with carbonite for companies is that they DO NOT do servers, only individual computers. They are not set up to do the auto backups with the operating systems most servers run on. But for windows xp, etc - they are great.
There are companies that provide server backup services. However, once you move into servers the price rises exponentially. I would recommend a very good tape backup system along with a complex RAID drive system for your server. We use Snap servers. They take an image every hour of themselves and then Snap Server 1 backs up to Snap Server 2 several times per day. We then backup Snap 2 to tape everyday and keep the tapes off-site.

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

This must be catching - my Dell motherboard just crapped on my. I'm able to get into "Safe" mode only. This atleast enables me to do my work but just about nothing else. The tech also said I may have a hard drive problem as well. The machine is about 7 years so maybe it's time. I guess I will be going to the Dell site to build a new PC for Xmas - I wasn't really looking to spend that kind of money right now but what are you going to do !!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
I am sorry to hear about the computer crashing. 200 gigs of pics is huge! I assume you've lost them permanently? That's a terrible shame! :(

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

OP READ VERY IMPORTANT!

The best way to ensure you don't have these types of failures is to make sure you have your system plugged into an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply). These start at around $40 and there is no better surge suppression protection than a UPS.

The problems you describe sound like they are the result of power surges and or power supply related malfunctions. You need to make sure all the connections coming into your computer are ran through the UPS as well. Electricity and data lines can carry surges and or intermittent power fluctuations which can easily damage the fragile components.

As for data losses, a USB external hard drive is the easiest and most economical way to safely backup your data.

Having two hard drives in your system running RAID 1 is the truly easiest and safest data loss prevention. Under RAID 1 your computer sees both drives as only one and everything is mirrored to the second drive automatically, if a hard drive failure occurs, regardless of which drive it is, all you have to do is replace the bad drive and everything is still there, Oh and yes, your system will still work on the one drive while you prepare to replace the bad drive. Then once replaced, all the data is mirrored to the replaced drive again for future protection.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.