Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
normally I root for Auburn (Alabama) but come Monday I'll be shouting Roll Tide.

Rectangle Font Line Material property Symbol

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for creating duplicates, I guess I'm not familiar enough to have known that.

I see in another post where you're not from this side of the ocean so I'll explain something about crazy americans: many are football crazy (I'm not one of them).
Monday the two highest ranked college football teams are having a face off, and coincidentally they are both located fairly close to each other; and I live in-between them.

I'll be rooting for Alabama, my home state. The day after that game I'll go back to rooting for my oldest daughters school (Auburn).

·
Long Time Member
473 Posts
Sorry for creating duplicates, I guess I'm not familiar enough to have known that.

I see in another post where you're not from this side of the ocean so I'll explain something about crazy americans: many are football crazy (I'm not one of them).
Monday the two highest ranked college football teams are having a face off, and coincidentally they are both located fairly close to each other; and I live in-between them.

I'll be rooting for Alabama, my home state. The day after that game I'll go back to rooting for my oldest daughters school (Auburn).
Just glad your not football crazy. Mix that with watch crazy and, whew....

·
Aspiring Expert
2,190 Posts
The only thing I know about college football is that cute reporter for CNN Kaitlan Collins is a Bama girl through and through! ;)

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
I’m going to have to root for Georgia because I always root for any SEC team having grown up in KY, and I just feel like Alabama and Saban have had enough of the limelight and I’d like to see someone else get it. If Alabama was the lone SEC team I would otherwise be rooting for them.

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I admit to being biased:
I've previously lived in Georgia - twice (Augusta - a very beautiful place) and my youngest now lives in the Atlanta, GA area ...
but my current home is in "Bama" - and my kids (now both adults) support $ went to both Auburn and Troy - both fine Alabama schools.
Either way the SEC (southeast conference) is home to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
This is Football....
Shorts Sports equipment Soccer Football Ball

Not sure what you Americans play.... ;)

I know the Australians play Australian Football...

·
Senior Freek
1,420 Posts
I'm a University of Florida alumnus. So is my wife, my sister, and two of my sons, and daughter-in-law. So, I just cant root for Georgia. So I will root for the elephants from Alabama while thinking "Go Gators."

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
I'm a University of Florida alumnus. So is my wife, my sister, and two of my sons, and daughter-in-law. So, I just cant root for Georgia. So I will root for the elephants from Alabama while thinking "Go Gators."
Florida has an aversion to Georgia?

·
Senior Freek
1,420 Posts

·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Apparently we can NOT agree on football - so what about motor-sports?

While living in Europe (mid/ late 70s') I attended many Formula 1 events; despite this cheap charlie living in a tent (with ample liqueurs to share) - I occasionally had an enjoyable trackside experience.

I rooted for the black car with gold stripes, Mario Andretti.

Michael Andretti lost.

·
Long Time Member
625 Posts
I was wondering if rugby players are known to have CTE, the brain disease from beating their heads up, like we’re seeing more and more in the NFL.

I actually have firsthand experience. My dad played pro football and I have watched a series of issues with him since I was a child that have coalesced at 80 years old as dementia. It is very sad to watch my dad, who was a brilliant man, reduced to what he is now. It terrifies me to think about kids playing and nobody having any idea whether they’ll be a vegetable some day. No way in hell would my boys, if I had any, play football. Plenty of other games to play.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I was wondering if rugby players are known to have CTE, the brain disease from beating their heads up, like we’re seeing more and more in the NFL.

I actually have firsthand experience. My dad played pro football and I have watched a series of issues with him since I was a child that have coalesced at 80 years old as dementia. It is very sad to watch my dad, who was a brilliant man, reduced to what he is now. It terrifies me to think about kids playing and nobody having any idea whether they’ll be a vegetable some day. No way in hell would my boys, if I had any, play football. Plenty of other games to play.
Figures available show that about 1,200 rugby players suffer head trauma while playing the sport each year from tough tackles and studies have shown them to be eight times more likely to develop MND.

I am aware of a good number of retired players who have developed and succumed to ALS, or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Motor Neuron Disease.

So sad to them waste away

1 - 20 of 21 Posts