Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Why are men called aggressive go-getters and women who do the very same thing are called something entirely different & not nearly as complimentary ?

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Each society has a set of norms that are acceptable. These are the standards as they exist today. In reality they have changed tremendously over the years, slowly granted. Someday the glass ceiling will be gone for women and they will be able to compete for equal pay for equal work. I think we see some of these changes in the military as we see more and more women working side by side in traditional males roles. Bully for them!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . because some men are so insecure in thier masculinity. They can't use the same bullying tactics on women that they use on other men . ..

it's sad, but also funny as hell at the same time . .. pinheads . . .

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

No not at all!!!

John Wayne said when asked

"What do you think of Katherine Hepburn in the Industry"

His response

"I think women have two places in this world, in the Kitchen and in the bedroom"

randyswagon wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
I am not touching this!!!
. . . What's the matter? Figure you might reveal a secret, or that Wifey may read it ? ? ? ? ? :%:lol

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

It basically boils down to outdated and antiquated practices and traditions that year after year are slowly disappearing. But they still exist currently and hopefully someday there will be complete equality both in impression and actuality, just maybe not in our lifetimes.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Well...My wife is very demanding of those working under her...but she is respected and admired by the men she works with. Her boss is a mega Type A personality man...and the fact that she is a Type A herself makes them a tough pair to deal with...as they both are tough on those that work underneath them. They expect things to be done yesterday...and when they aren't...there is always hell to pay. Call her want you want...but even the President of their company says her division would not run properly without her. Whenever we have an issue with something...like we did with our HDTV...I always tell the CS person...deal with me and lets get it straightened out...otherwise...you'll have my wife to deal with!!! And trust me...you do not want that to happen!!! Last person I told that to was the Store Manager of the local Best Price Store....my wife then stepped in and said...okay...my husband spent 20 years in retail and you don't seem to want to work with him....now you have me to deal with!!! I think the lady actually peed in her pants a little!!! My wife can be scary when she gets upset!!!!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

In my experience as a psychotherapist . . . men are much more easily threatened by a woman's success and power than another man's power. For many guys, this is how they were raised, which can lead to them experiencing difficulty with aggression coming from females. Many men are socialized to compete with other men for power, but are not equipped for the "aggressive, powerful female". The lack of experience some men have with successful, agressive women is too much for them to handle and they "revert" to what they were taught at home.

I think it is totally silly to view a woman's right of authority as any different than a man's. However, there are plenty of men who haven't been able to make the adjustment and the "old ways" flourish in those communities.

I have counseled a number "power brokers" from the business world to Capitol Hill, and it's amazing how many men have "Mommy" issues that totally dominate how they carry themselves in the world. "Mommy", for many, was the first experience with "the aggressive female", and that interaction has a lot to do with how that person behaves today.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

What Rick said but I would like to add DAMNIT at the end, thanks.:b

CJ

CurrentTime wrote:
In my experience as a psychotherapist . . . men are much more easily threatened by a woman's success and power than another man's power. For many guys, this is how they were raised, which can lead to them experiencing difficulty with aggression coming from females. Many men are socialized to compete with other men for power, but are not equipped for the "aggressive, powerful female". The lack of experience some men have with successful, agressive women is too much for them to handle and they "revert" to what they were taught at home.

I think it is totally silly to view a woman's right of authority as any different than a man's. However, there are plenty of men who haven't been able to make the adjustment and the "old ways" flourish in those communities.

I have counseled a number "power brokers" from the business world to Capitol Hill, and it's amazing how many men have "Mommy" issues that totally dominate how they carry themselves in the world. "Mommy", for many, was the first experience with "the aggressive female", and that interaction has a lot to do with how that person behaves today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.