Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I started a thread on cigars before but in that a case: again. I was born in an era when literally everybody smoked. Cigarettes that is. Rolled from shag and sometimes from a pack. My father had to start working at the ‘ripe’ age of 13, the minimum age you could quit school legally in the Fourties in my country. And they gave him a pouch of rolling tobacco so that he could become a man. Unthinkable now but normal back then. My father was a heavy smoker but my brother and I never followed suit. I just don’t like cigarettes.

But the occasional cigar however.... The weather is fine so I can sit on my balcony and quietly and calmly smoke my current favourite, the Paradiso Revelation. It lasts well over an hour and together with a good glass of Whisky makes me feel like a million dollars.

As the saying goes: “A cigarette smoker has to smoke, a cigar smoker wants to smoke”.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm something of a tobacco snob. To me, cigarettes are trailer trashy, but I do like to keep a few cigars around.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I started smoking at the age of 13 with those mini wine dipped "colts"
From there, I moved to a pipe at 14 years of age. Nothing is more distinguished looking than a 14 year old kid with a Sherlock Holmes pipe!

Then on to cigs. Grew to 40 a day. After a year, I quit. Six months later I started again - up to 45 a day. I then was able to quit for the last time. That was 1977. Haven't smoked anything since. Don't miss it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like to smoke one in the evening. My favorite cigar recently has been CAO Brazilia Gol. Keep puffing and stay classy my friends.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
A proper drink is required for cigars.

Sent from my Google Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great show guys! Some very impressive setups there. I have just a a booze cart with a small humidor on the bottom shelf and a small wine rack in the kitchen but it's all I need. Although I will buy a new humidor this year because this one doesn't really keeps the humidity level high enough any more. Inside is a wireless thermo/hygro meter and when the humidity drops below 65% I get a warning on my iPhone. Nothing special, just a standard wireless device connected to my home automation platform but that platform is very flexible when it comes to putting in alerts, schedules, etc.

This is on the cart (two in the fridge, the Gin and the Vodka):

Armagnac Saint Cristeau 1978
Bourbon Four Roses
Brandy Metaxa 12 Stars
Cognac François Peyrot Heritage 50 Years
Cognac François Peyrot XO
Cognac Ménard XO
Corenwijn Bols ‘De Silveren Leeuw’
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Jenever Van Wees Klarenaer
Jenever Zeer Oude Loyaal
Port Niepoort Vintage 2015
Rum Flor de Canã 12 Years
Rum Ultimatum Single Cask 18 Years
Rum Zacapa 23 Years Solera
Tequila Don Julio Reposado
Vodka Russian Standard Platinum
Whisky Lagavulin 16 Years
Whisky Old Pulteney 21 Years
Whisky Springbank 10 Years
Whisky The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve
Whisky The Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve
Whisky Tomintoul 12 Years

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great show guys! Some very impressive setups there. I have just a a booze cart with a small humidor on the bottom shelf and a small wine rack in the kitchen but it's all I need. Although I will buy a new humidor this year because this one doesn't really keeps the humidity level high enough any more. Inside is a wireless thermo/hygro meter and when the humidity drops below 65% I get a warning on my iPhone. Nothing special, just a standard wireless device connected to my home automation platform but that platform is very flexible when it comes to putting in alerts, schedules, etc.

This is on the cart (two in the fridge, the Gin and the Vodka):

Armagnac Saint Cristeau 1978
Bourbon Four Roses
Brandy Metaxa 12 Stars
Cognac François Peyrot Heritage 50 Years
Cognac François Peyrot XO
Cognac Ménard XO
Corenwijn Bols ‘De Silveren Leeuw’
Gin Bombay Sapphire
Jenever Van Wees Klarenaer
Jenever Zeer Oude Loyaal
Port Niepoort Vintage 2015
Rum Flor de Canã 12 Years
Rum Ultimatum Single Cask 18 Years
Rum Zacapa 23 Years Solera
Tequila Don Julio Reposado
Vodka Russian Standard Platinum
Whisky Lagavulin 16 Years
Whisky Old Pulteney 21 Years
Whisky Springbank 10 Years
Whisky The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve
Whisky The Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve
Whisky Tomintoul 12 Years
Brother! I love the booooze cart!

·
Registered
976 Posts
At the moment, I don't have a pot to piss in and drinking my red wine out of a plastic cup. My wife of 20 years and I, recently divorced.
We may not have agreed on everything, but we agreed on some important topic. We agreed on having a cold air condition, lots of kisses, massaging her lower back, sex, red wine, and sushi..

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i quit don't miss it. Tobacco is addictive as hell in a cigar or cigarette. i couldn't be a casual cigar smoker so I threw them away. Power to you though enjoy its just not for me

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the bottles on my cart is a 1978 Armagnac. Cognac’s boorish cousin :D The bottle is still unopened but needs some clarification as with any spirit that comes with a vintage. Unlike wine, that matures in the bottle, spirits don’t. As soon as they are bottled, the maturation process stops. So on my Armagnac 1978 means the year it was vatted. It was bottled in 2011. The real age is therefore 33. It should be very mellow and smooth now but I’m looking for a special occasion to open it. Once opened the oxygen in the air starts it’s nasty work but not as bad as with wine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not meaning to necro post, but since a Cigar thread already existed, thought it would be nice to contribute here rather than start a new one...

Not too long ago my brother and I set ourselves a task of finding the best cheapest Cuban cigar possible, it took a while, but we've narrowed it down to two:

Quintero Londres Extra
It's Fr. 56 (+/- USD 56) for a box of 25 here locally, so we are looking at a little over 2 francs per cigar. This is a small cigar, like a Corona, but small and slightly shorter. As it is an ultra budget brand, it is made from the some not so great and/or rejected tabacco from the higher-end brands. What that translates into is 25% of them may not be so great, another 50% will have some nice flavours, and the other 25% are where you strike it lucky, being the off-cuts from some high-end cigars like a Partagas, Romeo & Julietta and the like, meaning you're in heaven. I think these are made by hand.

Quintero Brevas
These are the large cousin of the Londres and are +/- the same price for a box of 25. Size is more like a proper corona. These are, if I am not mistaken, machine made, and once again the tobaccos used vary, but more so than the Londres above. 30% are not so great, 50% are ok, and the last 20% can be fantastic, the most recent tasking like a Romeo & Julietta Churchill Wide, a sort of San Daniele / Parma Ham or Roast Beef Crust flavour.

Don't let the "not so great" scare you, as a not so great Cuban is still miles better than your average petrol station cigar, and for the price, cannot be beat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts