Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

okay, here is something great for those cold winter nights some of us have coming up, and a little different than your regular stews.

ingredients.

boneless skinless chicken breast, about 4 breasts, cut into about 1 1/2 in chunks

about 2 pounds of link sweet sausage.......or hot if you like hot sausage, but i prefer sweet sausage for this stew cut into 1 inch wide pieces.

1 whole sweet vidalia onion, diced

2 medium red peppers, diced medium(you dont want them too small)

about 6 or 7 medium white potatoes or yukon gold potatoes are good too.......washed and cut into cubes(as big or little as you want, i prefer them on the bigger side for stew myself) keep skin on

crushed garlic

fresh dill, about 8-9 sprigs of dill, taken off the stem and minced up.

chicken stock, about 2 quarts

half pint of heavy cream

cornstarch(will be used for thickening)

salt and pepper

olive oil

okay, in a 6 quart pot, heat a couple tablespoons olive oil at medium low heat.......add onion and pepper and start sweating them for about 5 to 7 minutes. add about 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic. after that, add your chunks of chicken breast, and start and add about a a pinch of salt and pepper to season the chicken, when chicken is 3/4 of the way cooked, add your sausage.......continue stirring and checking that the chicken and sausage is mostly cooked, and add your chicken stock........keep on low to medium heat, and add your potatoes........ cook until potatoes are soft but do not fall apart immediatley at the touch, add more chicken stock if needed, keeping a good liquid to protein and vegatable ratio.......

when potatoes are mostly done, add your fresh dill , the heavy cream, more salt and pepper to taste, and continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes..........mix about a half cup of cornstarch with a cup of water in a bowl and mix until you get a white liquid and the cornstarch is dissolved into the water........whisk in the cornstarch liquid and thicken..........if it is not thick enough, add more cornstarch liquid , but add a little at a time, you do not want to over thicken........your looking for a stew consitency....not gravy........., once thickened.....turn off heat, spoon it up and serve......as with any soup, sauce or stew.......it will always taste better the next day, so make this the day before if you want( you dont have to) and then reheat and serve the next nite..........enjoy!

p.s. if you like, you could alsoadd white northern beans to this as well, you can buy them canned ., and add these last........or you can buy them dry and soak them incold water overnight, and then drain, and you would add the dry beans when youadd the chicken stock and potatoes..........

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

That sounds good! Thanks for the recipe. ....Bob

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Mmmm mmmm good!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

hey Don Gina make a Killer Jambalaya that she is making on Saturday. You have a recipe for that? If not I will have her right it down and send it your way, it is Incredible!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Thanks Chef...That sounds amazing...I love stew's and soups...So bring on some killer recipe for some soups Tattoo Chef!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Don, what is sweet sausage, Italian Sausage?

I am guessing that would be best here instead of like Johnsville Brats, Smoked Sausage, or breakfast sausage.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:

I am guessing that would be best here instead of like Johnsville Brats, Smoked Sausage, or breakfast sausage.
yes, sweet italian sausage............try and get one that is made by your local grocery or butcher, or if there is a sausage company that you like........out here i use a brand called Murazzi........not sure if they are sold in Ohio............do not use brats or smoked or breakfast sausage.......good italian sausage only.......

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
imported post

It's almost done! :c

But while I'm waiting for the masterpiece to finish, I guess I'll go outside... IN THE SNOW!

WOO!! HOO!! :b

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
Tera-Ram wrote:

yes, sweet italian sausage............try and get one that is made by your local grocery or butcher, or if there is a sausage company that you like........out here i use a brand called Murazzi........not sure if they are sold in Ohio............do not use brats or smoked or breakfast sausage.......good italian sausage only.......
Hey Don,

The Stew Turned Out ... PERFECT! :c

Tweeked it a little and made it my own.

You know me...

I liketh the, HEAT!:b

Thanks Again, for an outstanding recipe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts