Watch Freeks banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The Heimdallr “Sharkey” tuna can I own is drop-dead gorgeous in its build quality. The materials etc.- all top notch. The only feature they don’t (or can’t) match is the real deal’s WR. I was suitably impressed with it and created a thread on the thing awhile back.

In the end, and I’m speaking only for me obviously, it leaves me cold in the way a replica does and made me realize I should save for the real deal. I don’t care if the original has a hardlex crystal or a lowly steel bezel insert. It’s the original, it went through the design and R/D and became something of an icon for a brand known for great divers. Having said all that I’d potentially buy a Heimdallr product that wasn’t a straight ripoff of an icon.

·
Registered
862 Posts
An homage watch is not an original design. However the watch here is called the SKX, yet it is not a note for note recreation of the SKX because they changed the handset, the movement, the bezel, and the crystal.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Sometimes I'd like to have the word "homage" stricken from horology. Chaz's watch is a mixture of iconic features - mostly Seiko obviously, but throw in the "Batman" GMT insert and it's a bonafide mutt.

I like mutts, and maybe that's a better name for this sort of thing. What bugs me is... how ‘bout you create your own product? Design something.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I like mutts and watches that cost less than $250.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Sometimes I'd like to have the word "homage" stricken from horology. Chaz's watch is a mixture of iconic features - mostly Seiko obviously, but throw in the "Batman" GMT insert and it's a bonafide mutt.

I like mutts, and maybe that's a better name for this sort of thing. What bugs me is... how ‘bout you create your own product? Design something.
I agree totally... I mean, what kind of a person/mind creates a company to make only homage watches ???🤔

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yech! horrible. Nothing less than a straight forward copy.
Like a kid copying a classmates exam paper or homework and putting their own name on it and calling it homaging. Ridiculous
Yep, the watch I just ordered looks just exactly like Seiko's SKX model with the blue/black ceramic dial, NH movement, sapphire crystal, and painted Wave dial with stick hands........exactly what model Seiko is that again?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yep, the watch I just ordered looks just exactly like Seiko's SKX model with the blue/black ceramic dial, NH movement, sapphire crystal, and painted Wave dial with stick hands........exactly what model Seiko is that again?
The new and improved version that required no R&D or any imagination to make. Just features they were able to make by saving money.(n)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The new and improved version that required no R&D or any imagination to make. Just features they were able to make by saving money.(n)
Tell me, just who is doing the R&D and coming up with fresh imaginative designs anywhere??

·
Registered
634 Posts
Get your eyes checked, it has a completely different handset than the SKX007 (I owned one) and that isn't a fish on the dial, it's a Wave!

SKX didn't hack and hand-wind, this one does with a Seiko SII NH35A Automatic Movement, SKX didn't have a sapphire crystal, this one does, SKX most certainly didn't have a two-color ceramic bezel, it had no ceramic bezel at all. Unless the case is crappy, this one is indeed a giant step up from the SKX, and the bonus of no misaligned chapter ring as well!

If you are dissing Heimdallr for making a knock of Seiko, how about Seiko making a knockoff of a Rolex Sub?

View attachment 132422
You should know, it's perfectly OK for some manufacturers to make homages, but when others do it they must be rip offs. You should also know, that when a Chinese manufacturer make a version of a Seiko, it must be inferior, even if the finishing and spec is better. Now, go and stand in the corner :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Tell me, just who is doing the R&D and coming up with fresh imaginative designs anywhere??
Right, so if Mercedes (for example) produce a car that costs £40k, then Ford come along and produce something that looks similar, is technically better, and costs £25k, you spend an additional £15k because Mercedes made the original. That's fine, it's your money, but I will have the Ford thanks

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Right, so if Mercedes (for example) produce a car that costs £40k, then Ford come along and produce something that looks similar, is technically better, and costs £25k, you spend an additional £15k because Mercedes made the original. That's fine, it's your money, but I will have the Ford thanks
Please address your comments to Forza, I agree with you and was defending Heimdallr, hell I ordered the watch from them!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Reactions: forzaferrari

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just finished watching "The Almighty Johnstons" a New Zealand TV Series about Norse Gods living in New Zealand. Heimdallr is one of the characters in the show.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just finished watching "The Almighty Johnstons" a New Zealand TV Series about Norse Gods living in New Zealand. Heimdallr is one of the characters in the show.

Here is Heimdall (they just spelled the name differently) in Thor.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts