Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I really want to hear what Don has to say so I hope he responds. Really how does CD stack up against the rest? I don't mean comparing them to Rolex, Breitling or those types but as far as comparing to Hamilton, TAG, Invicta, Renato, Tissot.....watches in that arena. I know they have not been around as long as other name brands. Anyone want to give some thoughts? I know we have talked a lot about Invicta and certain issues I just thought maybe we should start something in each of the watch brand forums kinda like a pros/cons type list.

Side by Side Comparisons welcome!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Here is what I would do if I was you, and that is set some base criteria that you want this based upon. Or you are going to get all kinds of responses.

Example if you take a Mc vs a SAS the winner hands down is a SAS.

If you take a crossfire vs a SAN III the SAN III wins hands down.

This is my take, I like Chase Durer, but how do you compare when there isnt any criteria set?

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Here is what I would do if I was you, and that is set some base criteria that you want this based upon. Or you are going to get all kinds of responses.

Example if you take a Mc vs a SAS the winner hands down is a SAS.

If you take a crossfire vs a SAN III the SAN III wins hands down.

This is my take, I like Chase Durer, but how do you compare when there isnt any criteria set?
I think a variety of responses are appropriate. You pointed out comparing a Mc to an SAS and the winner hands down in your opinion is the SAS.....why? I have an SAS so I would be interested in these views....

Crossfire v SAN III and SAN III wins.....why? I have a SAN III so I would be very interested in these views.....don't have a Crossfire.

Pretty simple I think.....just want general thoughts and comparisons. People can use quality, company reputation, price, style/design in making their comparisons.

If someone pics up a Crossfire and wants to compare it to something else comparable in their collection that would be a great tool to help other watch gatherers to get a feel for the watches being compared as say a buying tool. I don't think it would however be appropriate to compare a CD to a lower end for example Grand Diver so the comparisons need to be reasonable. How does this work? Maybe Don or James can give some thoughts but as a new collector I think this could be a very helpful tool.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

OKAY, I HAD THIS WHOLE BIG RESPONSE TYPED UP, BUT I DELETED IT............

HERES WHAT I WILL SAY TO EVERYONE ANYMORE........

IM NOT GOING TO GET INTO A HUGE DEBATE, BUT ALL I WILL SAY IS GO OUT AND COMPARE FOR YOURSELF........

EVERYONE LIKES SOMETHING DIFFERENT , AND HAS DIFFERENT REASONS FOR BUYING......

I DONT CARE WHAT YOUR BUYING, TO MOST EYES OF THE WATCH WORLD, UNLESS YOUR WEARING A ROLEX, A BRIETLING, A PATEK PHILLIPE, YOU DO NOT HAVE A PRESTIGIOUS WATCH ON.........

SO REALLY WHAT DOES IT MATTER? BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. I CAN GO ON AND ON ALL DAY ABOUT MY ISSUES WITH INVICTA, BUT THEY ARE MY OPINIONS AND THATS ALL.......

DOES CHASE DURER HAVE SOME GREAT DESIGNS....YES. DO THEY HAVE AMAZING FIT AND FINSIH. YES.....ARE THEY THE BEST IN THE WORLD........NO.

AND IM THE FIRST ONE TO SAY, THAT I STILL LIKE INVICTA'S DESIGNS......I JUST NEVER KNOW IF IM BEING SCAMMED INTO BUYING SOMETHING........TO ME , INVICTA IS NOTHING MORE THAN A MARKETING COMPANY.......THEY JUST HAPPEN TO MARKET WATCHES....AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, IF YOU KNOW THAT GOING IN..

CHASE DURER IS BETTER IN MY OPINION THAN TAG ANY DAY OF THE WEEK........BUT HERES THE DEAL, THERE ARE SO MANY WATCH COMPANIES OUT THERE, THAT OFFER SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, SO GO OUT , EXPLORE THEM, TAKE A LOOK AT THEM , AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF, AND DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK.....YOUR THE ONE THAT WILL BE WEARING IT AND ITS YOUR MONEY YOUR SPENDING .....NO ONE ELSES.....

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok. Maybe I was opening up something too big to deal with and it should just be about what you like. I was just curious about watch comparisons in case I had something but was wondering how it stacked up against something I was considering. Doesn't have to be CD v an Invicta it could be anything. Would be nice to have a place to go to see something like this but I guess this is not the place or may just not be possible in general. I think you can look at watch designs and dimensions all day long but until you hear it from someone that actually has insight not sure that is enough for a newbie. Bad idea....my bad.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Ok. Maybe I was opening up something too big to deal with and it should just be about what you like. I was just curious about watch comparisons in case I had something but was wondering how it stacked up against something I was considering. Doesn't have to be CD v an Invicta it could be anything. Would be nice to have a place to go to see something like this but I guess this is not the place or may just not be possible in general. I think you can look at watch designs and dimensions all day long but until you hear it from someone that actually has insight not sure that is enough for a newbie. Bad idea....my bad.

absolutely not a bad idea.............the problem is , everyone has there own take or opinion on things.......

here , ill make a comparison.................

invicta sas when it was first released and had sapphire crystal and the 7750 movt............amazing watch........would put above most chase durers and alot of other companies.........

invicta sas with flame fusion and the upcoming g10 movt in them........eh, not so much.......

im not a movt snob by any means, but it seems that invicta is cutting corners where ever they can to keep the prices low, .........i dont know what market invicta is trying to be in, they are all over the place......

chase durers fit and finish is amazing, they have great designs, tons of little details, and they are great looking.

it is really hard to compare though, because of what you personally are looking for......

also price has to be considered..........so go ahead, give some comparisons.........and i will be glad to give my opinions..........as im sure others will as well.......there are no bad topics here bro..........

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I guess this was my point Brother, there is no way too compare, it just isnt fair without criteria. I like Chase a lot, and they make a great watch. But it is all a matter of preference.

Example Don doesnt thinks a flame fusion crstal and a Quartz lowers the quality of the SAS. Me I prefer Quartz over an Auto and the Flame fusion has already prooven to me to be an upgrade over Sapphire. But it is all debatable and everyone has an opinion.

Don is correct buy what you like and roll it.

This question is like asking whats better a Harley or a Japanese built cruiser. You will get all kinds of opinions, Arnie rolls a Harley, I personally dont like them. But to me it isnt that I roll Japaneses and he rolls Harley it is that we ride, that makes the bond!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
OKAY, I HAD THIS WHOLE BIG RESPONSE TYPED UP, BUT I DELETED IT............

HERES WHAT I WILL SAY TO EVERYONE ANYMORE........

IM NOT GOING TO GET INTO A HUGE DEBATE, BUT ALL I WILL SAY IS GO OUT AND COMPARE FOR YOURSELF........

EVERYONE LIKES SOMETHING DIFFERENT , AND HAS DIFFERENT REASONS FOR BUYING......

I DONT CARE WHAT YOUR BUYING, TO MOST EYES OF THE WATCH WORLD, UNLESS YOUR WEARING A ROLEX, A BRIETLING, A PATEK PHILLIPE, YOU DO NOT HAVE A PRESTIGIOUS WATCH ON.........

SO REALLY WHAT DOES IT MATTER? BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. I CAN GO ON AND ON ALL DAY ABOUT MY ISSUES WITH INVICTA, BUT THEY ARE MY OPINIONS AND THATS ALL.......

DOES CHASE DURER HAVE SOME GREAT DESIGNS....YES. DO THEY HAVE AMAZING FIT AND FINSIH. YES.....ARE THEY THE BEST IN THE WORLD........NO.

AND IM THE FIRST ONE TO SAY, THAT I STILL LIKE INVICTA'S DESIGNS......I JUST NEVER KNOW IF IM BEING SCAMMED INTO BUYING SOMETHING........TO ME , INVICTA IS NOTHING MORE THAN A MARKETING COMPANY.......THEY JUST HAPPEN TO MARKET WATCHES....AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, IF YOU KNOW THAT GOING IN..

CHASE DURER IS BETTER IN MY OPINION THAN TAG ANY DAY OF THE WEEK........BUT HERES THE DEAL, THERE ARE SO MANY WATCH COMPANIES OUT THERE, THAT OFFER SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE, SO GO OUT , EXPLORE THEM, TAKE A LOOK AT THEM , AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF, AND DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK.....YOUR THE ONE THAT WILL BE WEARING IT AND ITS YOUR MONEY YOUR SPENDING .....NO ONE ELSES.....
Very, VERY, well said. I agree, be your own person.

T.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Personally I have never held an actual CD watch, only seen pictures online. So I am looking forward to the GGT in PA to actually see some of them and then I can make a real decision.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I own 3 Cd's and IMO I think they make a very good watch, I have never had a problem with any of them. The fit and finish is superb.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I have 2 CDs they are both well made with SW200 I bought them because I liked them an Marianne Chase pulled out of shop to hold her prices up.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
imported post

I bought 3 CD's a while back. Although a very good watch, they looked smaller than advertised on the wrist in my case. I sent them all back. There are a couple of models I really liked, but IMHO they are a bit overpriced.

All in all, great watches on the smaller side, and you will be paying for the quality here, no real bargains.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

WatchNut wrote:
I bought 3 CD's a while back. Although a very good watch, they looked smaller than advertised on the wrist in my case. I sent them all back. There are a couple of models I really liked, but IMHO they are a bit overpriced.

All in all, great watches on the smaller side, and you will be paying for the quality here, no real bargains.
it depends wich watches......the special forces watch is only 44mm.....but then they have the crossfire wich is 50mm, the missle command wich is 50mm and san111 size, a new one coming out that will be a big one as well....depends on the model of the watch you buy.......I will state that the quality is exceptional for the price......

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I've owned 2 CD's I personally, I think they are a fantastic watch, especially for the money paid! I'm very much into pilot and aviation designed watches which is what CD is known for. The 2 that I have owned were incredible pieces with excellent fit/finish. Very well put together and run well. I also would take one over a Tag any day of the week too!

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I always enjoyed the Chase shows on Shopnbc....but they never really did anything for me. But that's just me.....for a while I wasn't interested in Invicta...but a couple of recent purchases have filled some voids in my collection and I am happy to watch the Invicta shows again. But I can't really compare them to a watch I haven't ever owned...wouldn't be possible. I can compare watches that I own...or have owned in the past. But...why...I just buy what I like...what I "gotta have"...whether its a Chase...Invicta...SO....or a chinese watch on ebay...

Just da big guy's 2 cents...

·
Registered
493 Posts
imported post

At least we know they are better than TAG LOL!

Cheaper, yes, but better? If it's the F1 model then maybe. If you are comparing price/value then maybe.

But to point blank say CD is better than TAG up and down the model lines has me questioning your experiences with both brands.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
At least we know they are better than TAG LOL!

Cheaper, yes, but better? If it's the F1 model then maybe. If you are comparing price/value then maybe.

But to point blank say CD is better than TAG up and down the model lines has me questioning your experiences with both brands.
Who you questiining bubba??:lol

wow, this is an old revived thread....

see thats thing. Everything is subjective. Everyone looks for something different, everyone likes something different, so its hard to compare, because everthing is subjective.

as far as my take on Tag, I have looked and held and tried on a ton of Tag models at my local AD, and they do nothing for me. They for the most part are not big enough, most of the bracelets do not compare to the Chase Durers, and I FEEL, for what they are and the prices they charge, I would rather spend considerable less money and get a Chase Durer, and have excellent fit and finish, size and great customer service.

Not knocking anyone who Likes Tag or owns one, but they have never been a brand for me that I would even consider looking at, at any price range really, becuase they have nothing that really appeals to me for what i look for.

So like i said, its all very subjective.

·
Registered
51 Posts
imported post

Having a Tag Aquaracer and a CD Falcon Command I think the fit and finish on both of them are equal. Even the packaging (may not seem like a big deal but when you pay hire dollar for a watch I want something more than the standard cardboard/leather watch box) for both screams high end. The Aquaracer is an automatic and the CD is a quartz but everything else is equal IMO. The CD plays like a higher end brand. Having said that, I have not liked the looks of some of their more recent stuff and can't testify to that quality either.

In going a little further, I believe my Citizen and Oceanaut watches all have very similar fit and finish to both CD and Tag. The Invictas and Renatos that I own, while decent, do not compare with the other brands mentioned above. I will state that I do not own any in the Reserve line of Invictas so can't compare those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts