Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Altamonte Springs Mall this morning to have new batteries put into two Invicta watches that I just could not get the screw backs off. Well, doesn't the guy look at my two Invictas and pull out a laminate card with prices on it according to what kind of mechanism was in the watch. The first one was an I by Invicta that I got for something like $40 a few years back on the Invicta Sunday Run. He says, "Hmmm... $19.95." Then he looks at my other Invicta and looks at the back and it says "Swiss Parts" he says. Goes down the list and says "That one $49.95". I said "For a battery?" It's a Swiss watch and that's what it costs. I said a battery is a battery. Are you going to do water testing, put on a new seal, or something? The answer was silence. I told him no thanks he was expensive...

I went to a kiosk in the middle of an aisle and the guy looks at them, pulls out a similar, but different card, and tells me $20.00 for one and $24.95 for the Swiss watch. He said "Nice watches." I told him what I paid for the watches and he said "OK, I'm gonna make you a deal because you look like a nice guy." I wanted to hit him. It was $11.95 for one battery and $14.95 for the second one. What a screw job. I couldn't get the case backs off, and they have been sitting in the watch case for over a year, so I said, "OK, I'll take the batteries". I wasn't happy. I've been doing my own batteries for years.

Is this the new way of calculating the price of a battery for a watch if you go to a B/M??? :mad:

Chuck

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a jeweler who can also service watches, the first guy was definitely trying to rip you off, the second guys prices actually sounded pretty reasonable in the end.

Reactions: mba1996

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a jewelry store but they told me they had nobody to change the battery... so I went looking elsewhere. I guess they are out for your buck. I just thought the prices were wicked high. Thanks for your opinion. I haven't had somebody change a battery for me in many years. Like I mentioned, I do my own.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I don't know when this happened but a lot of places are really screwing people for battery changes. I sent a friend to my go to place for work that I don't like to do. They have always been reasonable, honest and fast.

I was going to replace the battery myself it was a Rado Diastar, these are not all the expensive he got it for around $380.00 from one of the online retailers I want to say Jomashop, very easy to change the battery, the case back is held on by 4 screws. I popped the case back off and it is powered by a standard 362/721 battery. I went to my stock and of course I didn't have one! 100+ batteries and not one that would fit the watch. I told him I would get one the next day at CVS they run about 4 or 5 bucks, normally I buy batteries in bulk I get anywhere from 5 to 10 for 5 or 6 bucks with free shipping! In an emergency I hit the Rite Aid or CVS. He didn't want to wait so he took it to the place I told him about they used to charge 7.95 to change a battery on any watch. They put in the battery and charged him $35.00!!!! He hit the roof had a little argument with them but they stood their ground. They claim they do not charge labor just the cost of the battery, bullshit! The battery costs 5 dollars or less. They tried to tell him that Rado watches take a 35 dollar battery, some watches take a 100 dollar battery. I never heard such crap in my life. I have been replacing batteries in watches almost as long as I have been collecting 35 years and I never found a battery costing more than 7 or 8 bucks. IMO you guys have to get the tools and do your own changes the tools don't cost $35.00! LOL

I don't care what brand watch it is, a quartz movement is a no different than every other quartz out there. I have changed batteries in every brand quartz out there including my vintage Rolex quartz there is no big differences in them from SWISS, in house, Miyota, Seiko and the cheapest Chinese one. I am telling all my friends to come to me from now on I won't even charge them for the battery as long as I have one in stock. Luckily there is only a few they use.

Reactions: mba1996 and MrCurt

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
this is the price for printing money

6 years of interest rate repression and debasing the dollar

wait until this happens to bread-gasoline-rent...watch batteries will be the least of the problems

·
Registered
345 Posts
Before Id pay someone that much to change a battery for me or even let someone else mess with my watches, Id take the cash and invest in a good back removal tool.

Ran into the same problem with my SOs Movado. No one local seems to be able to remove the back, have to send it to Movado for $50 plus. We were in a little Mall on some Caribbean Island, maybe St Thomas, and the local guy there out in a walkway kiosk did it for $10 WITH the proper tool and put the back back on with a watch press!!

Only watchback I couldnt get off was a Citizen. I think they spot weld them on or something.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My wife has a watch with a particularly stubborn case back. I just take it to the Sears in the Altamonte Mall and it's about the same cost $10. That seems to be the going rate to have a battery changed out. Orlando Watch Co in Winter Park charges a bit more, but it's also on Park Ave so....

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Don't know bout you Freeks, but I've never paid more'n $9.00 for a
repl battery. Anywhere in Texas!!!
My local brick n mortar watch maker installs em for freebies.

I give those Mall battery sellers tha bum's rush 24/7. Skinny little
guys from E India.

X traindriver Art

·
Super Moderator
10,705 Posts
Man Chuck, it does sound like those guys were trying to put one over on you there. :( Maybe there's a better jeweler, or watchmaker around there that can help you out next time. Sorry that happened to you like that Chuck. :mad:

Thanks a lot for the heads up though. I bet this happens a lot nowadays to many people !

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I have a local jeweler who has been in business for over 20 years, and has two younger sons who work with him, so I know he won't be going out of business soon.

He installs new batteries for $15. for an additional $5 he will give you a 7 years battery, and for $35 you get lifetime battery replacement for that watch free.

If you don't have anyone close by who can give you a deal like that, buy a case back removal tool.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I have a local jeweler who has been in business for over 20 years, and has two younger sons who work with him, so I know he won't be going out of business soon.

He installs new batteries for $15. for an additional $5 he will give you a 7 years battery, and for $35 you get lifetime battery replacement for that watch free.

If you don't have anyone close by who can give you a deal like that, buy a case back removal tool.
^^^^ This sounds like a square deal. :) Beware!!! There are sharks out there...be careful WatchFreeks.

For Example::

At Watchcare in Santa Clara (where I work), our introductory battery change (we call it "regular Grade"- watches costing under $500.00) is $11.99 out the door.

Been in biz over 25 years, 22 for the store I work in. We still get old newspaper coupons walking in that are from the late nineteen nineties showing batt changes at $6.95! Yes, we still honor them. :p

That includes: 1. A 1 year guarantee against premature battery failure (we date the batts when we install them). 2. Clean the gunk off the exterior of the watch (have to, to keep it from going into the watch). 3. Re-lube case-back & associated gaskets (or replace with suitable generic if torn). 4. Light polishing of the crystal to remove any surface debris. All that is done on a first come-first served basis & takes about 10~15 min. while you wait.

Watches that require special tools to service cost more, watches that are valued at over $2500.00 cost more as well. Watches that have real gold or other precious materials on them cost more; due to the liabilities involved with working on them. (I mean what would happen if I'm working on a Rollie with a 18K crown that gets lost when I suddenly sneeze?) Joking, of course. Besides Rolex no longer makes a quartz watch w/ 18k!

ANYWAYZ>>>>

The cost of a battery change is much more than the cost of the batteries involved. It's supposed to also be for professional, damage free, proper watch service.

Here's one: A guy walks into my shop with a Vacheron Constantine men's formal wear dress automatic. Estimated value of the watch is $18.5K. He wants to inquire about the price of a full service on his watch movement. With him is his lawyer... <-true story. :cool:

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I change my own. I've never met a case back I can't remove. Buy a JAXA type case back opener for most case backs. There are a few watches where you need a special tool, but I currently don't need to worry about those. Also, I buy replacement gaskets in advance and I change the gasket and use a little gasket lube when I do. I've never had one leak, but I also don't dive. I buy batteries on Amazon in sets of three or more. They are cheaper that way and I always have one on hand when I need it. A battery change with a new gasket usually costs me $10 bucks or less for DIY. I can live with that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife has a watch with a particularly stubborn case back. I just take it to the Sears in the Altamonte Mall and it's about the same cost $10. That seems to be the going rate to have a battery changed out. Orlando Watch Co in Winter Park charges a bit more, but it's also on Park Ave so....

Thanks! I'll try Sears the next time I have a battery issue. I never thought to go there. It was the watch shop near Center Court (Dairy Queen area) in the Altamonte Mall that I first went to that quoted me $49.95.

Chuck

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Max, I have two case back removal tools and I couldn't get that Invicta open. I brought it to two other places while living in Maine and they couldn't open it. A guy in a kiosk here in Altamonte couldn't open it and sent me to the guy who wanted $49.95... the next place I went to opened it like "nothing". He was in a kiosk selling "no name" watches for $19.95 that looked like boat anchors covered in diamonds. It's been an experience with this watch. lol

Chuck

Before Id pay someone that much to change a battery for me or even let someone else mess with my watches, Id take the cash and invest in a good back removal tool.

Ran into the same problem with my SOs Movado. No one local seems to be able to remove the back, have to send it to Movado for $50 plus. We were in a little Mall on some Caribbean Island, maybe St Thomas, and the local guy there out in a walkway kiosk did it for $10 WITH the proper tool and put the back back on with a watch press!!

Only watchback I couldnt get off was a Citizen. I think they spot weld them on or something.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol........ good advice. I do have quite a few automatics, but this one was so "cheap" that I couldn't pass it up. I liked the looks of it and it was under $50. The bracelet isn't too bad, either, but I think I'm going to replace it with a strap soon. I bought a bunch of them from Android in one of their recent deals.

Chuck

Buy automatics. This is making a service look cheap :p .

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, you told me what I was wondering... I knew a battery is a battery. That guy told me it was a special battery and the mechanism used it. I asked him what brand the battery was but he would only say Swiss. I've also been doing my own batteries for years, getting them on-line is strips of 5 or 10 to a strip for about $5. I just couldn't get this case back off....

Chuck

I don't know when this happened but a lot of places are really screwing people for battery changes. I sent a friend to my go to place for work that I don't like to do. They have always been reasonable, honest and fast.

I was going to replace the battery myself it was a Rado Diastar, these are not all the expensive he got it for around $380.00 from one of the online retailers I want to say Jomashop, very easy to change the battery, the case back is held on by 4 screws. I popped the case back off and it is powered by a standard 362/721 battery. I went to my stock and of course I didn't have one! 100+ batteries and not one that would fit the watch. I told him I would get one the next day at CVS they run about 4 or 5 bucks, normally I buy batteries in bulk I get anywhere from 5 to 10 for 5 or 6 bucks with free shipping! In an emergency I hit the Rite Aid or CVS. He didn't want to wait so he took it to the place I told him about they used to charge 7.95 to change a battery on any watch. They put in the battery and charged him $35.00!!!! He hit the roof had a little argument with them but they stood their ground. They claim they do not charge labor just the cost of the battery, bullshit! The battery costs 5 dollars or less. They tried to tell him that Rado watches take a 35 dollar battery, some watches take a 100 dollar battery. I never heard such crap in my life. I have been replacing batteries in watches almost as long as I have been collecting 35 years and I never found a battery costing more than 7 or 8 bucks. IMO you guys have to get the tools and do your own changes the tools don't cost $35.00! LOL

I don't care what brand watch it is, a quartz movement is a no different than every other quartz out there. I have changed batteries in every brand quartz out there including my vintage Rolex quartz there is no big differences in them from SWISS, in house, Miyota, Seiko and the cheapest Chinese one. I am telling all my friends to come to me from now on I won't even charge them for the battery as long as I have one in stock. Luckily there is only a few they use.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Max, I have two case back removal tools and I couldn't get that Invicta open. I brought it to two other places while living in Maine and they couldn't open it. A guy in a kiosk here in Altamonte couldn't open it and sent me to the guy who wanted $49.95... the next place I went to opened it like "nothing". He was in a kiosk selling "no name" watches for $19.95 that looked like boat anchors covered in diamonds.
Wonder if it was the same guy from St Thomas, LOL.
He was about half blind, eyes bulged out and bloodshot, shinny as a rail but he knew his watches. Probably his eye problems were from working on so many.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, that doesn't sound like the guy. maybe a relative? lol

Chuck

Wonder if it was the same guy from St Thomas, LOL.
He was about half blind, eyes bulged out and bloodshot, shinny as a rail but he knew his watches. Probably his eye problems were from working on so many.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to thank you, litlmn... I went today to Sears in the Altamonte Mall and the guy there was very nice. For $11.95, he replaced a battery that was held down by one of those cross bars that is screwed in at one end by one of the tiniest screws on the planet... lol

Chuck

:smile-thumb2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts