Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay no don't laugh but my entire life I have only had a prepay flip phone which I use very sparingly. My wife has an I phone which she also uses sparingly (like 10% of her GB). She wanted o upgrade and add me . A friend gave me her Samsung Galaxy 4 which she used sparingly before getting another. We were told by the AT&T salesman that could not use that because it is proprietary to Verizon. Is this the case?

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Yes, There are two major cell phone systems. CDMA & GMS. Most phones only work on one system or the other. AT&T and Verizon are on different systems. There are a few phones (Nexus) that will work on both.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
But depending on the device you can have it unlocked to work on multiple carriers.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's funny because as I was searching about how to unlock the phones I found this;

• We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement.
  • We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
It's funny because as I was searching about how to unlock the phones I found this;

• We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement.
  • We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.
Unlocked or not, if it's not a GSM phone, it won't work with AT&T. Verizon does not operate on a GSM Network.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Yes, There are two major cell phone systems. CDMA & GMS. Most phones only work on one system or the other. AT&T and Verizon are on different systems. There are a few phones (Nexus) that will work on both.
Moto X Pure Edition will also work for all carriers, all networks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts