Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased the Cape Cod Cloths and a Microfiber cloth at Ace Hardware for about $6.50.

I selected an older beater that had plenty of scratches and dings.

Then I used painter blue tape to tape off the crystal. I used a razor blade to trace the outline and peeled off the tape from the bezel.

Then I cut a small section of the Cape Cod Cloth from the entire sheet.

Then I rubbed gently but firmly for several minutes.
You can see the dirt, tarnish(?) and who knows what on the Cape Cod Cloth.

I then buffed the watch with the blue microfiber towel.

You can judge the results for yourself.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

That looks great. I haven't had a chance to work with one of mine, but now you have peaked my curiosity. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I have used it on a watch I mistakenly micro-scratched during a batter replacement for a customer. Afterwords, you couldn't tell where the watch had been scratched.

Your example is much more lived in and would require mechanical buffing to remove all, but the hand polishing did do a remarkable job on alot of the scratches.

Does anyone know if this is safe to use on IP finishes, like gold or black?

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
I have used it on a watch I mistakenly micro-scratched during a batter replacement for a customer. Afterwords, you couldn't tell where the watch had been scratched.

Your example is much more lived in and would require mechanical buffing to remove all, but the hand polishing did do a remarkable job on alot of the scratches.

Bad Idea

It is an abrasive cloth, and will remove Plated finishes!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Tera-Ram wrote:

Bad Idea

It is an abrasive cloth, and will remove Plated finishes!
That's good to know. I've also heard that they should never be used on brushed finishes as they will smooth them out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts