Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I know quartz watches are not everyone's cup of tea. I have my share of autos, but I find that I usually come back around to one of my quartz models.

I was looking around for a new quartz watch (preferably with at least 200m WR, a screw-down crown, & date) and wondered if anyone knew of something I maybe didn't have on my radar. I was shooting for a price not too exceed $900.

For reference, here is what I have:
-BaliHa'i Model C
-GPW Titanium
-Several Reactor Brand Watches
-More than enough G's (although always open-minded :p)
-Seiko Solars and Sawtooth
-Had Seiko SBBN017 & SBBN035 Tunas....sold them both (may get another??)
-Citizen Orca,Titanium Ecozilla, Prime & Excalibur
-Couple of Momentum's (nice value for the money)
-Sector
-Deep Blue Sea Ram & ProTac
-Victorinox Divemaster
-Had a few of Lum-Tec's (Lumzilla, Bull45, & Combat B20 GMT but sold all)
-Marathon JSAR (unsure if keeping due to size....big as my Armida A1 Superdome!!)

I realize I have probably spent too much on quartz models, but I just tend to gravitate towards those a bit more.

Anyway, thanks for reading and if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the advice!! :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Take a look at the Bulova Accutron II Snorkel...

It's rated for 200m WR, has the date window, and can be had for about $400. :) I love mine, and it's definitely a winner for Bulova.

The Accutron II Snorkel and it's equally gorgeous ancestor. :D

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not thought about the Bulova Snorkel.

Thanks a bunch for that suggestion!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Unless you are actually diving, 200m is really a moot factor in terms of real world usage ;-).

If you are okay with 100m and screw down, Alpina offers a very solid line especially since they use a 4 yr battery compared to other brands. Plus genuine Swiss heritage.

You just missed out on the $350 deal at Gemnation last week (I got the black dial incoming).

http://www.jomashop.com/alpina-startimer-watches.html

If not, JSAR takes my other close second. I've owned that for 3 months and really loved it....sold it mainly due to the thickness and the 46mm case size on my small 6.5" wrist.

And there's nothing wrong with quartz. I wear my B1 more so any of my other watches. I never have to set the time OR date...grab--n-go makes it really convenient.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take a look at those Alpina's for sure now....I guess I did miss out on a big sale as I have seen a few pop up on the WRUW threads lately.

Thank you for that link and suggestion!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Another one to look at, especially if money is a concern, is the new Fossil Breaker. It's a real dive watch and rated at 200m, has a date window, and can be had for less than a Benjamin.

It's a great homage to the old Aquadives too. :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of bang for the buck. A real quartz dive watch for less that two hundred dollars. Change out the white strap to a blue and white stripe Nato. "Looking Good"

http://www.watchfreeks.com/102-victorinox-swiss-army/186209-victorinox-men-s-dive-master-500m-white-rubber-strap-43mm-241559-a.html

That's a darn good suggestion Spanky1. I have a Divemaster, but it's orange with the old style skinny hands.

Would you happen to know the lug width if I were to purchase and change out the white strap?

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That's a darn good suggestion Spanky1. I have a Divemaster, but it's orange with the old style skinny hands.

Would you happen to know the lug width if I were to purchase and change out the white strap?

Thanks!! :)
I believe the lug width is 22mm. Use the model number in my post and do a google search. I believe Amazon list the watch lugs at 22mm. This is a well constructed watch.

Update: I checked Amazon and the lug width is 22mm.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that Fossil Vostokguy. I had not come across that particular model before.

And I have to say all the Reactor's I have had are top notch no doubt. I have had an a Heavy Water, Steel and Titanium Gamma's, and a Gryphon. All I still have and wear! Thanks for the suggestion Bapackerfan!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Under $900, get a Seiko 300m Tuna.

You can find the SBBN017 new for between $600-$750 depending on the dealer right now (and now is a good time to buy as it is a discontinued model, and better looking IMHO than the new Tuna's).

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for that suggestion Ganson....I had a couple of Tunas and will probably get another one at some point soon. :)

Also appreciate the watches you posted AtomicTom! I had not considered the Longines. That is a nice one for sure. I really never explored Jomashop too thoroughly and I am coming across several that are options.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You may want to keep an eye on Scurfa watches. They've developed quite a WIS following for their no nonsense quartz dive watches. Unfortunately, they're currently sold out of all their models but one, most notably the very popular Silicone model, but he'll probably have more to offer and is supposed to have new models in the pipeline. BTW, Paul Scurfield, the owner, is a professional saturation diver for the North Sea oil industry, so he also has a full time job.

http://www.scurfawatches.com/

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will definitely keep my eye on that Scurfa website ChuckW.

I kinda twiddled my thumbs too long on that one and missed out. :(
I'm hoping he puts a few more out there to purchase at some point.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I will take a look at those Alpina's for sure now....I guess I did miss out on a big sale as I have seen a few pop up on the WRUW threads lately.

Thank you for that link and suggestion!!
Hey Jan

2nd those Alpina startimers. I was eyeing those. I say was...because they only have 2 year batteries. That movement must be a power hog. Beautiful watch though...I'm still bummed about that 2 year battery. =(

How bout some Citizen ecodrives...

Here's my AS4041 pilot. 44mm with Sapphire, multifuntion and perpetual calendar.

Euro Chrono Nighthawk. 44mm and sapphire. This one has the same module as my pilot above.
Spaceview did a review on this one awhile ago

BN0150
I hear the sapphire replacement for the NY series yabokies sells will fit this one.

There's also the Deep Blue Pro Aqua quartz and smaller 42mm Sea Quest

JDM Orange BFK

I thought you had the new Mudmaster on your hit list...I want one of these too

And one last suggestion out of the ones that have piqued my interest...Seiko Speedmaster, solar, atomic chrono, 42mm Titanium diashield case, and sapphire crystal. SBDM013 (sadly doesn't sync w/ Ft. Collins but with looks like that, who cares?)

Good luck. Lots of choices out there.

·
Super Moderator
10,619 Posts
Thank you for that suggestion Ganson....I had a couple of Tunas and will probably get another one at some point soon. :)

Also appreciate the watches you posted AtomicTom! I had not considered the Longines. That is a nice one for sure. I really never explored Jomashop too thoroughly and I am coming across several that are options.
Glad to help out. :thumb:Amazing how many nice quartz watches there are. It's unbelievable ! Any of these ones above would be fantastic when you think about it. :eek: ..Enjoy the hunt !

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Jan

2nd those Alpina startimers. I was eyeing those. I say was...because they only have 2 year batteries. That movement must be a power hog. Beautiful watch though...I'm still bummed about that 2 year battery. =(

How bout some Citizen ecodrives...

Thanks for those ideas Corey!! The Citizens are really nice!! Is your's radio controlled as well?

Yeah, that Mudmaster is still on my radar. Kinda thought about the all black one, but I think that's a JDM model. I might hold off until the prices come around a little bit better. I did get to try one on recently and it fits like a glove!!

I actually kinda think that Deep Blue is pretty nice and I like that it's a bit smaller version than the original. My ProTac has a blue dial and it's a nice little watch. The battery on that one is still humming away after three years, so far so good!

I had not seen that Seiko Speedmaster before anywhere. That is a looker!! :)
I might have to do some research on that.........

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts