Watch Freeks banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey guys,
I have a few watches and pocket watches that i would like to have some information about. I have looked around online and i cant seen to find too much information about them. I'm looking to really know how old they are, any info about them and their value. Thanks in advance!

First one up is a Waltham gold wristwatch
It has the words Speidal on the inside of the band on every link. On the inside it says 17 jewels, swiss. It has no serial number inside. I have not seen any other square Walthams like this..

The next one is a Jules Jiirgensen.
It says est 1740 and 17 jewels on the face. Again no serial number on the inside.

This one is a Waltham. it also says shock resistant on the face. It looks to have a second hand just above the 6 o clock mark and shows the date on the face. Inside it says France Unadjusted and 7SEVEN jewels.

The last wristwatch is a Mentor. On the face it says 15 jewels waterproof, antimagnetic. Inside it has 15 jewels, unadjusted, swiss made.

This pocket watch is an Elgin. On the face it has the second counter and inside it has the serial number 17717581.

This pocket watch is an American Waltham Watch co. It has the second hand on the face and has the serial number 6311511 inside.

The last pocket watch says Chronometer makers to the admiralty John Forest London. It has the second counter on the face and has no serial information on the inside.

Any information that anyone has of these watches would be greatly appreciated. I recently found these in some boxes that were in my late grandfathers home. Thanks in advance!

·
Long Time Member
2,417 Posts
imported post

Welcome Scotty Wayne,
Ill do what i can in telling you what i know of your watches. Some i have alot of info on, some i do not.
In general , the best thing you can do with getting info , is to give as much info as you can in the form of many pictures. Close ups of the movement, and inner case back , and outer case back helps.

The first watch , The Waltham , was likely made in the late 1960's to early 1970's. They had many different variations of watches at that point, and got their movements from the Swiss, The French , and the Germans . The case is likely Rolled gold , or gold filled. Case back likely was stainless. The movement looks to be decent swiss A.Shild 1190 variant, 17 jewel , safety roller, adjustable regulator balance. 18k vibrations speed range. the band is aftermarket .

The Jules Jiirgenson Watch is a fairly common model, available likely in the late 1950's to mid 1960s . It has a French 17 jewel movement, of what exact type , i cant tell with out holding the watch. The movement was modified to not have the sub seconds hand at 6. The case is a gold plated type. It was one of the lower priced models from JJ. But good quality. HArd to tell, but your stretch band on the JJ may be original.
The Waltham wrist watch looks to be from the late 1950s to mid 1960s. I have no record of the exact model in my books. But Waltham made so many watches in that period, its a wonder we have any info at all. The movement in the watch is a 7 jewel french movement, identical to the Jules jiirgenson aside from less jewels. Its a decent watch , low to midrange quality.

the Mentor watch is a toughy , as its one of the hundreds of small swiss micro brands that popped up after WW2 . I have seen watches by them before . The tended to buy watch movements in bulk from F.Fonds or A .Shild , have their on dials made in their name, and sold the watches in bulk . Its a Psuedo Military type . It has a workhorse 15 jewel movement in it, which was all the rage after WW2 . Tons of watches had it , or its variants. They last a long time, pretty reliable , and easy to fix. Is not shock protected , and balance is non adjustable.

The Elgin Pocket watch was made in late 1913, probably in august. Its a 7 Jewel mode #7. Its an 18 size , full plate, open faced, lever setting watch. First designed and made in 1897. It had many variants , and Elgin changed its bridge design as the movement went into newer watches. The dial is porcelain , with a copper back to it. The jewels were natural sapphire . It was a nice watch for a middle class working man. Not rail grade .

The American waltham watch looks to be a variant of a Model #1892 7 jewel movement . There is a slight difference in the bridge set up to the common model, but i cant find any info on that variation. The watch , according to the serial number was made in mid 1893. Its a size 18 ,open faced ,1/2 faux plate model .It appears to have gold pinion settings for the great wheel and the other gear train pinions.
The last pocket watch , i cant find anything out about it beyond it has what looks like a Swiss ebauche movement in it. Ebauche movements were sold unfinished , by the thousands , to other watch companies around the world . Many famous watch maker houses started out this way. But i have no record in my collectors books of his name. John Robert may have been a small jeweler, not long in business. Its a fairly modern movement, and has jewels in the balance, so id guess the watch has at least 5 -7 jewels . Its non shock protected. So it could be as old as the 1870s ish to around 1915. If the case is original , and all gold, there will be stamps on the inside of the movement cover. THESE stamps were for government ratings and dates of making. All gold and silver watch cases from the 1800's had them if they were full metal cases. If its rolled gold, its likely that the case is a replacement.

Thats what i got.
Rod

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the #2 Waltham Watch that you posted it has says shock resistant on the front & it has a small stamped marking on the side of the watch it's so small I can't read it. Back of the watch says Antimagnetic & shock resistant on it. I believe the band is aftermarket. But not positive? Curious if anyone knows value or where I could figure out value? I have a good 30 more watches but online people price them all over the place as far as values. I plan on selling all of them & any help would be incredible. I know I have some good ones here. My family owned a antique business & I have a box full of time pcs. Watches are just out of my expertise! Any help would be incredible I can post many more. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts