Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to try a Seiko diver out. I have never owned one. I've been a fan of the 'tuna' cases for awhile. I prefer an automatic movement though it's not a must. I don't want to go over $1500. I want a tough and rugged watch that can be my daily wearer and take abuse. I spend a lot of time in the water. Any help is appreciated as always. Instead of doing a Google search I figure I'd ask the professionals. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Are you looking for new only or also used?

I know a could of guys who are selling. One a new blue one, one stealthy black.

SBBN035 if you want to google a product number and get a picture.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
If I were in your shoes, with 15 bills burning a hole in my pocket, I'd by a Marinemaster 300.....lightly used of course at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I were in your shoes, with 15 bills burning a hole in my pocket, I'd by a Marinemaster 300.....lightly used of course at that price

Sweet watch. I'd feel guilty beating it up though. If I were in his situation, I'd get a blumo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Believe it or not....I'd recommend starting out with a SXK007 or an SKX173.

The SKX007 is under $200.00 and the SKX173 is just a bit over $200.00.

Both are tough as nails and enjoy excellent reputations.

Just an idea to sort of get you started with the whole dive watch experience.

You don't have to spend $1500.00 to get a great Seiko dive watch.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Ganson!! Get over here and hurry up

Reactions: great_mazinger

·
Banned
754 Posts

Yup! This is the Seiko that most Seiko heads would own of we could.

However, have you owned a Doxa? I haven't but I'd love to before any Seiko Grail. I saw a blue one for $900 a few days back and one sold today for $1,280 asking price. My buddy bought one brand new from Doxa for about $1,500 after contacting them about a recent sale hoping they'd honor and they did.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I recently purchased a Seiko Shogun Titanium, nice watch but the bracelet was a little short for my 8” wrist.

Sent it back and picked up the Blumo instead SBDC003 , this one fits with room to spare and is really a watch that matches up well with Swiss models I have that cost over $1K.

Both of these watches have the excellent Seiko 6R15 movement, which hand winds and hacks. This movement has a 50 hour power reserve and they hand wind as smoothly as my Soprod A10 or a 2892-a2, you can’t go wrong with either of them.

Reactions: great_mazinger

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Well, if you are willing to go used, the Tuna you are looking for is the SBDX011 or SBDX013 "Emperor Tuna". They are basically the same (the 013 replaced the 011). Both feature the same automatic as the Marine Master 300 the 8L35. The movement is basically an undecorated Grand Seiko movement, so very high quality. The Emperor tuna is noticeably bigger than the 300 meter Quartz models, and slightly larger than even the 1000 meter Quartz models.

Used, the SBDX011 can be found for around $1500-$2000.

There are also the 6R15 powered Fieldmaster Tuna Cans which I will dig up some more info and add pics after I get to work. That might be an option, and I believe they can be found for around $1,000 new.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
This one was less than a third of your budget and is a killer watch with everything you are looking for (I believe). Its also gawjuz with the blue ceramic touch:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. So far the SBDX011 is leading the pack. Its over my budget though, but has everything I am looking for though. Ugh, I hate decisions.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again guys, I just pulled the trigger on a Seiko SBDX011 aka Emperor. I will post pics when it arrives. Anyone want to buy a Tudor Pelagos?

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
I'd go for one of the new Tuna Models like the 025, 027 or 029...they have upgraded straps (very soft) and new updated designs:

Here is the blue version (025)

Or. I would suggest the 015 or 017, depending on your bezel preference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts