Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am sure we have all had some experience with bidding and buying watches on EBay. Let's use this thread to discuss some good practices when trying to purchase watches on EBAY.

I'll start.

1) DO NOT bid to early. All you are doing is drawing attention to the item and potentially driving bidding up.

2) USE THE "WATCH THIS ITEM" feature. If you find an item you are interested in and the auction is ending days away - WATCH the item and then you can monitor it.

3) Be ready to bid at the last second! if you want something and others are bidding you will need to be ready to place a last second bid and hope it is high enough to win. But remember #1 above or you will drive the price up beyond your comfort zone if you bid to early in the auction.

Keep the good tips going in this thread. Any additional Ebay buying or bidding stories are also welcome.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I stupidly blew 2 auctions today by being silly and bidding to early. I literally gave away the autions. I know better and should have waited until the last second to place my final bid.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

good tips watcher - i do this myself NOW after having been outbid in the final minutes -now i realize that if i dont bid -it may not be seen and sometimes you can pick up a real good deal if no one is looking!!

TheWATCHer wrote:
I am sure we have all had some experience with bidding and buying watches on EBay. Let's use this thread to discuss some good practices when trying to purchase watches on EBAY.

I'll start.

1) DO NOT bid to early. All you are doing is drawing attention to the item and potentially driving bidding up.

2) USE THE "WATCH THIS ITEM" feature. If you find an item you are interested in and the auction is ending days away - WATCH the item and then you can monitor it.

3) Be ready to bid at the last second! if you want something and others are bidding you will need to be ready to place a last second bid and hope it is high enough to win. But remember #1 above or you will drive the price up beyond your comfort zone if you bid to early in the auction.

Keep the good tips going in this thread. Any additional Ebay buying or bidding stories are also welcome.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I have never bid on a watch on EBay so I appreciate all the info. Not sure how comfortable I am with it either.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i only bid on vendors who have a high rating and sell alot - this way you know - they are a business and they dont fool around - i normally read all of the negative reviews i can find to determine if they are worth it

if a vendor does 1000's of transactions a month and has a 97-98% rating -he is generally safe

sometimes you pick up a nice deal on there - i got an OGPiranhna for well under $100 a couple of weeks back -it was used and from a personal sale (not a vendor type) but he delivered it and it was as stated

sheraortho wrote:
I have never bid on a watch on EBay so I appreciate all the info. Not sure how comfortable I am with it either.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

What you are saying makes a ton of sense to me, I'm just not overly comfortable with doing it. Maybe I need to try it a few times to figure out if I want to be buying watches that way.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

well -if you set up a paypal acct -its safer - also i browsed around alot before i bought anything

you do need to be careful as i have heard alot of horror stories but like anything else -you learn to get around

also i have not bought alot on there - a zodiac from metrowatch auctions a couple of seiko's, some Invicta's from dealtree auctions, and a SAN III GMT auto from a vendor in CT who was mentioned around and is a good vendor

sheraortho wrote:
What you are saying makes a ton of sense to me, I'm just not overly comfortable with doing it. Maybe I need to try it a few times to figure out if I want to be buying watches that way.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I only use PayPal
I only bid on items with sellers with high high, if not perfect ratings.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I do have a PayPal account as I have bought thru EBay just not thru auctions.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

I am in Ebay right now & on the front page of their "daily deals" is a $395.00 Invicta stainless steel watch for $39.99.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Duchess wrote:
I am in Ebay right now & on the front page of their "daily deals" is a $395.00 Invicta stainless steel watch for $39.99.
link?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Not the worst watch in the world, but also very basic and a little plane IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Invicta-Mens-Invicta-II-Stainless-Steel-5773_W0QQitemZ400076587172QQcategoryZ31387QQcmdZViewItem

Invicta Men's Invicta II Stainless Steel
THIS IS A BRAND NEW UNOPENED ITEM.
Buy SKU: 211065933
Click here for more ebay deals http://deals.ebay.com/deals. xdealoftheday5x
Sales tax will be charged for items shipped to the following states: CA.
DescriptionThe Invicta makes a bold statement with its intricate detail and design, personifying a gallant structure. It's the fine art of making timepieces.
FeaturesBracelet Length: 10 inches
Bracelet Width: 22 mm
Bracelet: Brushed and polished stainless steel
Calendar: Date display at 3:00 with magnified window
Case Diameter: 44 mm
Case Thickness: 14 mm
Case: Brushed and polished stainless steel
Clasp Type: Push button deployment
Crystal: Flame-fusion
Dial Color: Silver dial with silver tone hands and black arabic numerals
Luminous: Hands
Material: Stainless steel
Model Number: 5773
Movement: Japan quartz
Series: Invicta II
Size: Men's
Style: Casual
Water Resistant: 100 Meters

$39

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

Well, I saw it & thought of you guys, a week ago I would have dismissed it entirely.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

duchess......dont worry, stick with us, and youll know all the good watches........and you will also get the sickness that is watch collectiong........believe me , stay around here for awhile and it will become contagious.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
you will also get the sickness that is watch collectiong........believe me , stay around here for awhile and it will become contagious.
That strikes fear in my heart...I don't know if my bank account can handle another obsession...Hahaha...But, having said that, I've been in & out of threads here & I keep seeing a watch with a royal blue face, I LOVE THAT WATCH !...And I don't even care that it's madefor a man not a woman.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts