Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think it is important that we have a thread that talks about how to safely purchase a watch online. Here are a few tips and I hope others will add to them in this thread.

1) RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH - read everything you can find about an online retailer OR individual. You can never learn to much about a retailer so ask around and use the search features on different sites to read about the experiences of others.

2) USE PAYPAL or some other service that will provide you with some protection on your purchases. If you do not receive a watch or item, you normally have some buyers protection.

IMPORTANT - Do not use Western Union to send someone money. This should be an immediate alarm/alert and concern. Just don't do it. You are potentially getting scammed.

3) If you find a luxury brand watch for a deal that seems to good to be true - IT PROBABLY IS. There are a ton of fakes out there and you have to be careful, do your homework, and only buy from established well known companies (or individuals with a perfect track record of selling real genuine watches)

I am sure others will add more!

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
imported post

1. Look for Web site addresses preceded by "https".
  2. Look for a yellow or golden closed lock or an unbroken key at the bottom of your browser window.
  3. Check the "feedback" areas of online auction sites; often they're a good source for learning about other buyers' past experiences with a seller.
  4. Print and save records of your online transactions.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I second all the above suggestions. PayPal is about the only safe way to buy online anymore and even it has it's flaws. I always ask for a phone number so that I can speak with the seller as well. This is a good way to feel them out and determine just how knowledgable they are about the product they are selling.

I had an experience a couple of weeks ago where I was interested in buying a certain watch from a seller on Amazon. I told him I was interested, but that I wanted his phone number to make contact with him before I pulled the trigger. He never returned my emails and I never got his phone number. Either he was shy or trying to pull a fast one on me. I think the watch he was selling was a knock-off, but I will never know for sure. I'm glad I ended up buying it from a trusted source.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

all very good information Thank you I know there is also a company that will escrow for you

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

This is a very timely post. It seems there was a member at another forum who recently scammed another member by having them send money thru Western Union and then never sending the watch. Pretty low thing to do. The member's name is "Accurat" so please use caution if dealing with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts